PDA

View Full Version : Lee TL Wadcutter for 38 spl and boolit base uniformity

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM
I've read here and there about the importance of boolit base uniformity, mostly in the gas check section of this forum. a few months ago I cast some Lee TL 358 wadcutters using straight WW. The boolit bases looked rough, that was probably my 4th or 5th time casting, I've learned some since them about alloy temp and mold temp and the importance of adding some tin to an alloy to help fillout.

Anyway, I had these 358 wadcutters lubed & sized & lubed again (45-45-10).
I chose to load half of them backwards, since the "top" of the boolit was quite uniform. Well I was at the range yesterday, and what do you know ???
The half I loaded backwards were surprisingly more accurate than those loaded with the rough side toward the powder. I'm talking (shooting offhand at near 0º F) 2" groups at 25 yards instead of 5" groups.

I just thought I'd share this and ask the question, Does anyone load Wadcutters upside down?
Jon

44man
02-03-2011, 11:06 AM
I've read here and there about the importance of boolit base uniformity, mostly in the gas check section of this forum. a few months ago I cast some Lee TL 358 wadcutters using straight WW. The boolit bases looked rough, that was probably my 4th or 5th time casting, I've learned some since them about alloy temp and mold temp and the importance of adding some tin to an alloy to help fillout.

Anyway, I had these 358 wadcutters lubed & sized & lubed again (45-45-10).
I chose to load half of them backwards, since the "top" of the boolit was quite uniform. Well I was at the range yesterday, and what do you know ???
The half I loaded backwards were surprisingly more accurate than those loaded with the rough side toward the powder. I'm talking (shooting offhand at near 0º F) 2" groups at 25 yards instead of 5" groups.

I just thought I'd share this and ask the question, Does anyone load Wadcutters upside down?
Jon
I don't shoot wad cutters but yes, you need a good base. Hold the ladle longer so your boolit pulls molten lead from the ladle. and correct any air venting so the bases come out perfect. The sprue cut in the middle means nothing, the edges need to be sharp.
Even the sprue cut can be improved by letting the sprue set up longer and using little taps to cut it.
I can see how you shot better, you froze in place so then gun did not move! [smilie=l:

Shiloh
02-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I seat with the best filled side as the base. For the LEE 358 TLWC, that usually means sprue side up.

Shiloh

TCFAN
02-04-2011, 12:21 AM
I have 2 of the Lee .358 TLWC molds. With both molds the top and bottom are the same.So I load the sprue end up in the case and the smooth end down towards the powder. This gives me better accuracy from my K-38..............Terry

Recluse
02-04-2011, 12:32 AM
There was an interesting article in Handloader some two or three years ago about the importance of a uniform, perfect base in regards to accuracy.

The writer literally mangled the noses and sides of a number of bullets and then loaded them up. He also messed up a few bases, but left the sides and noses alone.

Even the bullets with the mangled noses but perfect bases shot more accurately than the reverse.

I've always paid more attention to the base of the boolit than anything else. I've let some ugly, wrinkly boolits get loaded that had perfect bases--and they shot just fine.

:coffee:

Maven
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Jon, I almost always seat my .358" & .359" WC's backwards. Accuracy has been repeatedly and significantly better that way.

kelbro
02-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Always load mine sprue side up.