PDA

View Full Version : Would like lesson in Casting - Michigan

LuvMy1911
02-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Would anyone casting their own in Mid-Western Michigan be open to letting me watch and ask a few questions?

I'm rather interested in trying my hand at it. I don't want to start out wrong by buying poor choices in equipment, molds, etc. Just started reading Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook (3rd ed.).

Just started hand-loading J-Bullets about a year ago (A Friend with some years experience helped a lot).

Would even be interested in trying some "off-the-shelf" purchased cast bullets to see what kind of accuracy can be obtained.

Currently am loading for 1911 45 acp, 98k mauser .323 8x57js, and Marlin 1895 45-70. Have heard that all of these can make good use of cast bullets.

Sorry to ask in public... Nobody I know is casting anymore (most haven't for years). Would be willing to drive 75-125 mile round-trip, sweep floor, shovel walk snow, etc. just to watch someone that knows how to cast and load for target & hunting purposes.

Thanks for any advise in advance!!!
Jim

swamp
02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
I am not in Mich. but if you get to Denver you are more than welcome to try it out at my place.
swamp

Leadmelter
02-02-2011, 08:27 PM
LuvMy1911
Check out this link here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=101080
You try a pm to some of them. We are everywhere in the Mitten.
Good Luck

Gerry

btroj
02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
This may well be the smartest question in a long time from a new caster and reloader.
I live a lot farther away than you will drive but I sure hope someone steps up to the plate.

Brad

garandsrus
02-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Jim,

I am in Warren. You would be welcome to stop by anytime if it's not too far for you. During the day would be best.

I have molds for each of the calibers you mentioned, so you could cast up some to try. We can size and gas check the 8mm boolits also.

John

Jailer
02-02-2011, 09:07 PM
Jim,

I am in Warren. You would be welcome to stop by anytime if it's not too far for you. During the day would be best.

I have molds for each of the calibers you mentioned, so you could cast up some to try. We can size and gas check the 8mm boolits also.

John

That offer right there above is hard to beat. It may be a drive for you but it sounds like it would be well worth it.

I'm just a beginning caster myself and would be more than happy to show you what I've learned so far but you definitely won't get as much knowledge as you would taking up garandsrus generous offer.

RP
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I would have to say that is a great ? I hope you find someone to show you the ropes.

firefly1957
02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Jim I live in Harrison is that any better? oh I am am Jim too. I cast for 45 acp and 45-70 but that bullet might be oversized for your Marlin it is a .459 HB.

firefly1957
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Try looking at this thread also. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=101080

JeffinNZ
02-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Because I am so dedicated to sharing the knowledge I will be prepared to give up some summer time in NZ to visit and show you. Just send me the tickets.

btroj
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Wow Jeff, that is a generous offer.

LuvMy1911
02-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Wow, what a response! John and Jim , I greatly appreciate your offers. I would problably like to chat with you about setting a time/date when/if I might be able to do that.

I've managed to share a ride to the gun show in harrison a couple times. Was hoping to make the one in May of this year also.

Warren Michigan is a long ways off, but maybe other business would in the future allow the trip someday.

I've learned a lot from just reading the messages in this forum. You guys have no idea how much this place has helped me getting started with hand loading... I've been able to actually afford to shoot my guns more than 4-5 times a year now. A Friend of the family helped a lot too, watched him set-up and load a box of cartridges then he dropped by and helped me set-up and load my first series of test loads.

It's really awesome to find out you can load your own that will group smaller than what you can buy over-the-counter! (BIG difference with the 8mm)

Thanks for everything guys!

LuvMy1911
02-03-2011, 02:59 AM
From what I've read here, getting a good cast bullet is as much an art as a science. When I decided to learn hand loading I bought a few "foolish" purchases.

I'd like to avoid that before I even start getting any casting tools/equipment.

frkelly74
02-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Are you near Allegan?

BABore
02-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I'm in Coopersville, between Muskegon and Grand Rapids. Cast year round. Where are you at in W. MI?

Dutch4122
02-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Jim-

I'm in Birch Run which is probably a bit far for you to drive. However, I'd be glad to give what ever advice I can.

1st of all. Let me recommend one of the best mold makers going. Here's the link for BRP Products Custom molds: http://brp.castpics.net/

Edit: Looks like BaBore chimed in above before I finished this post. :D

Our own member, BaBore, is the head cook & bottle washer of BRP. He is located in the Grand Rapids area and I would recommend him without reservation. Bruce's molds can't be beat. I have more of them than I can keep track of at this point. His customer service can't be beat and there is no waiting for a Group Buy as all of his designs are listed on his catalog and ready to be cut as a single order. He has several 8mm designs as well as a whole slew of 45-70 designs. He also has a couple of .45 ACP designs that are very accuate including an H&G 68 clone. A great thing about Bruce's molds is that you can be guaranteed that they will never cast a boolit that is too small for your needs. All of his molds are spec'd with 50% wheelweight and 50% pure lead alloy; and are designed/cut to drop fat enough so that you can pick what you want to size them to in order to fill up the throat of your rifle. Ordering molds from BaBore will guarantee that you won't be wasting money on cheap Lee, Lyman, or RCBS molds that cast too small and leave you with more problems than results.

The next thing I would recommend is do searches here & read up on "Bull Plate Lube" for the sprue plate on your molds. This stuff will make casting much easier and will help you keep from damaging your molds while you are learning.

As for alloy, Keep thinking 50% wheelweight and 50% pure lead. Air cooled for your .45 ACP and water dropped from the mold if you are shooting rifle loads that are developing higher end pressures. For now I would stick with Air Cooled and lower pressure plinking loads until you get a little experience with the rifles.

A good load for your 8mm Mauser would be a 175-185 grn gas checked slug cast of 50/50 or air cooled wheelweights over a charge of 15 grains of Unique. A very pleasant shooting load and more than accuate enough for plinking out to 100 yards.

As for bullet lube, I would suggest BAC by White Lable Lubes. Another product produced by a member here, "Lar45."

Hope this helps,

mroliver77
02-03-2011, 04:01 PM
LM1911,
I am near Toledo OH if that helps. Your always welcome to come play with my tools.
Jay

LuvMy1911
02-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm located about 14 miles east of Ludington, MI

I'm a bit older than some here, and maybe younger than others at 50+. I used to be a fair shot, but most of my rifles have been growing scopes lately so I can see what I'm aiming at.

Started hand-loading to be able to shoot more on a nearly non-existant budget. (As another member here posted: "I'm sure the savings will start soon!")

A vendor at a gun-show suggested trying the 1911 first with cast (maybe buy some via on-line sales or from a friend) so I bought a box of loads with cast boolits for a .380 pistol. He menitoned that most rifles would shoot best with gas-checked bullets so I might want to try that after I master working with a simple cast load like the 45 acp (also less equipment needed).

Guess that I better finish reading the Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook to get a better overall idea of the basics of casting.

Exactly what would be the minimum eqipment required to start? Already have Dies, Single Stage Press, and misc. needed to hand load "Store Bought" J-Bullets.

I sure appreciate all the good advice I'm getting here.

Jim