PDA

View Full Version : Mold Rack?

Roundnoser
02-01-2011, 10:27 PM
Hope this is not a silly question, but...I have quite a few molds (6 and 2 bangers) and never have a good place to put them. They always seem to be so clunky: can't stack um, etc.

Has anyone given any thought (or have a plan) for a mold rack? I'm thinking of a rack that holds the block at a slightly downward angle leaving the handles sticking out for easy reach. Maybe an upper and lower rack? I'd bet it would be a good way to keep the molds organized and maintained. Any thoughts on this?

DeanWinchester
02-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I wrap mine in a clean shop rag and stack them in a kitty litter bucket. Snap on the lid and they stay nice and dry. I even keep silica packs from anything I open that has one, and toss it in the bottom of the bucket. It's a practice of dubious quality, but it makes me happy.

Az Rick
02-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I store mine in an army ammo can, seals tight, keeps them safe and out of the way. Like Dean I also throw desiccant packs in when I get them.

Best, Rick

btroj
02-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I literally have a pile of moulds.

frankenfab
02-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I keep my molds in a 24"X24"X4" drawer in the cabinets. All the molds that don't have handles on them are in plastic boxes. I have a pint jar of dessicant in the drawer.

white eagle
02-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I put all my prized brass molds in a small wooden box that is felt line
holds about 8 molds the others are in a metal cabinet along side of the others or on handles waiting to be used
a rack of some sort is a very good idea with labeling so easy id would be had

Ickisrulz
02-02-2011, 08:41 PM
In the ABCs of reloading 1976 edition (I think) it shows a cabinet that holds molds with handles attached. The cabinet has a low watt bulb in it to keep out the moisture. Looks like an ideal set-up.

I'm not a high volume shooter. So, I take my handles off when done casting, oil the molds and put them into the little plastic box they came in. These go into a wooden casting box I made which houses my furnance, tools, handles and molds.

vintagesportsman
02-02-2011, 08:43 PM
In the original box - clean and dry!

mooman76
02-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I also store mine in the original box. That is the ones that came with a box. Some are used and didn't have the box any more. I keep them in a old military foot locker standing on end so I can get to them easy and see what they are. I picked up some small plastic boxes from Staples that hold the moulds without handles that I don't have a box for. They was only a buck apiece and someone here posted that they were a deal there.
Unfortunately my foot locker is no longer able to hold all the moulds and I had to remove some to make room.

Roundnoser
02-02-2011, 10:48 PM
All of you guys have the best idea...Keep it simple! I, of course am complicating things with a mold rack idea! -- Just thought it would be cool to have my molds lined up on a rack with each slot labelled with the mold number, etc.

Just dreaming up ways to spend money on superfluous "stuff"...as my wife roles her eyes!:veryconfu

Hardcast416taylor
02-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I paint what the mold is on the inside of one of the handles for quicker ID of it. For often used molds put up a magnetic tool hanger on the wall and stick the ferrous part of the mold to it.Robert

Ilwil
02-04-2011, 01:06 AM
A mold rack is an attractive idea, but I think the size and weight of it would immobilize it so that often it might be left exposed or neglected in the garage, shed, etc. Not a good thing in rain country. Return to their storage boxes is better. I keep my steel ones in a wooden box in an upstairs bedroom. I've acquired lots of handles, so most stay on them, to keep them handy. The less used ones are in their storage boxes. My aluminum molds are in their boxes, in a filing cabinet drawer in the garage.

justingrosche
02-04-2011, 01:22 AM
I keep all Lymans in there boxes, well oiled. I have to scrub them clean each time I use them, which kind of sucks, but it just part of life living in rain country.
Justin

smoked turkey
02-04-2011, 02:08 AM
I did an inventory and the number of molds I have is worth as much as a nice rifle. Taking that into account along with the rust factor, I decided to store mine in the safe where they are secure and protected from rust at the same time. I keep them in boxes and stack them on a shelf.

Artful
02-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Before moving to AZ from OR, I had an old Refrig - by passed the switch so the low watt bulb so it stayed on door open or shut and stored my molds an dies in there. kept a nice warm temp and never had rust - this will degrade the cardboard lyman boxes over time. never bothered any of the plastic boxes. was good to keep pistols in but it would cause varnish on wooden grips to craze (well at least on some of the high gloss ones) - suspect maybe changing to a lower wattage bulb would have done what I wanted without the damage from a standard appllance bulb.

Walter Laich
02-04-2011, 07:38 AM
justingrosche: love that storage--just wish I had the room in the garage to hold something like that.

I was thinking along the lines of PVC pipe somehow joined tother to make something like a honeycomb that the molds would fit into--that's as far as its gotten--thinkin'

Roundnoser
02-04-2011, 10:25 PM
justingrosche: love that storage--just wish I had the room in the garage to hold something like that.

I was thinking along the lines of PVC pipe somehow joined tother to make something like a honeycomb that the molds would fit into--that's as far as its gotten--thinkin'

Nice! Thats thinkin outside the box...literally! SOmething like that might work nicely.

Ben
02-05-2011, 05:48 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13322

Roundnoser
02-07-2011, 12:31 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=13322

Thanks Ben. Very nice. Certainly some good ideas...

Mntngoat
02-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Thinking I will keep mine in the safe where I have a goldenrod.

ML