PDA

View Full Version : Travel woes

Maven
02-01-2011, 03:11 PM
My wife & I flew to Seattle last week to visit our son, his wife, & our 7 mo. old granddaughter. Although we had a wonderful time, returning to NY has been delayed by the winter storm that's affecting a large portion of the midwest & northeast. We were able to leave Seattle for Wash., DC (after changing our itinerary so as to avoid Chicago), but our 8:16AM flight to Albany today was cancelled 30 mins. before we were to board it. (I assume Albany Airport is still closed due to heavy snow as I write.) The bottom line is we're now at a Hilton hotel at Dulles Intl. Airport until Thursday AM unless the storm misses upstate NY or isn't as severe as predicted. (Those folks at the Weather Channel really love hyperbole and are beside themselves with joy when a large storm system develops.) Not much to do here, but read, maybe watch a movie and check with the airline to see if they'll actually fly to Albany on Thursday. Btw, the storm has left the Wash., DC area unscathed, leaving only a bit of freezing rain behind. We'd REALLY like to get home ASAP!

9.3X62AL
02-01-2011, 03:25 PM
You know the mainstream media is on its last legs when they start spinning the WEATHER REPORTS. TV news is almost useless for planning outdoor activities, based on the spun up and hyped weather info given there. Try www.weatherunderground.com This has been a lot more reliable for me locally, through the Sierras, and the East Mojave.

Maven
02-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Will do, Al!

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Rent a car or get on the train . . .

Wayne Smith
02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
While you are there take in the Smithsonian, take a walk on the Mall, see the Jefferson Monument during the daytime and the Lincoln at nite. Unless they changed it when they reconditioned the Lincoln Memorial the lighting at nite highlighted every line on his face.

The Smithsonian alone can take a week or more.

Maven
02-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Today brought good news, as Albany Airport has reopened and our flight is scheduled to leave at the assigned time. Instead of waiting around the hotel, we went to the Air & Space Museum, which is only a few miles away and met and had dinner with my niece, who lives nearby.

Shawn, 1-way rentals, if you can find one, are extremely pricey, e.g., $224 less taxes, tolls and fuel. We paid less than that for a week long rental in Seattle (a Nissan Rogue) the other day. Moreover, it's a 7 hr. drive under the best of conditions, but the NY State Thruway isn't in the best shape and I don't fancy driving on dicey roads at night (in a car that doesn't have snow tires). Amtrak would be an option, but service from NYC to Albany isn't as frequent as that on the Wash., DC - NYC corridor and is expensive and not all that reliable. It also doesn't get me close to where my car (with 4 snow tires) is parked. And then there's the matter of the airline tickets.... In retrospect, the room at the Dulles Hilton @ $74/day has been a blessing, and we'll be out of here early tomorrow (Thurs. AM).

JeffinNZ
02-03-2011, 04:57 AM
Now if you'd come back to NZ.................hahaha.

I kinda know how you feel. My wife managed to turn a 3/4 plane flight into a 6 hour drive! We are going to a concert (Dr Hook and Creedence) in Queenstown in early March. She booked an inbound flight that arrives about 1 hour AFTER the good Dr comes on stage. Lucky the flights were cheap. Today I negoitated a free rental car reposition on the day that will cost us gas only............and 6 hours of driving. On the up side, the kids are staying at home.

Maven
02-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Home at last! Ah, Queenstown....* Now that's a beautiful place: Biking, skiing, wineries and the Wanaka Brewery, all nearby. I just wish it wasn't so far away! Btw, we [finally] made it home about 1 hr. ago, but I don't know what all the fuss was about as Albany Airport only got ~8" of snow and Kingston about the same. Thanks for the invitation, Jeff!

*If you like steam engines and trains, the Kingston (NZ) Flyer is maybe 45 mins. south of Queenstown and is worth a look and/or ride. If you whisper sweet nothings in the enginemen's ears, they'll let you ride in the cab/footplate (not to be missed!).

JeffinNZ
02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
AND the steamer Earnslaw on the lake. You can watch the engine working. Show me the boy/man that is not fascinated by a steam engine.

Maven
02-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Saw the steamboat as well. Thanks for reminding me! Btw, the local Fergburger is a great place for a quick lunch. www.queenstown.net.nz/index.php?title=Fergburger

scrapcan
02-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Boy what a time that would be, some good classic rock and roll and steam engines all at the same time.

Jeff enjoy yourselves will you. We can live vicariously through you on this one.