PDA

View Full Version : From Ice storms to Cast boolits

Ohio Rusty
02-01-2011, 03:05 PM
We have a saying here in Ohio ... if you don't like the weather ..wait 5 minutes and it will change. It changed big time over night and dumped freezing rain and ice over central Ohio, closing all the schools and activities. Since I had a snow day, I wanted to take advantage of my free time today.

I went to the garage and fired up the wood burner to make it comfortable in there. I have been anxious to make boolits from the two moulds I recently acquired. One was an Ideal 358429 SWC, the other was the Ideal 358439 HP, the same mould, but has the HP pin.

I fired up the lead pot and pulled out some moulds I wanted to cast in, including the two Ideal moulds. I'm always after good boolits to shoot from the wifes and my contenders. I was also interested in the HP boolit for my Ruger LCR if it will work.

Those ideal moulds threw great boolits once they got up to temperature. This was my first casting experience with a mould with a removable HP pin. The first boolits on the pin refused to come off without help of a tool to twist them loose.
Once hot, the pin came right out of the boolit. I learned quickly to twist and pull the pin first. If I cut the sprue, sometimes turning the pin turned the boolit in the mould if the handles weren't held tight. The sprue on top prevented that issue.

Once I got in the groove, it was pretty fast to make HP boolits from the single cavity mould. When it seemed to start frosting, I would switch to the solid mould for a bit and let the HP mould cool down some. I think these will be great to shoot. I sized some at .358 and they weren't undersize. the Solid version weighs 170 grains, and the HP version weighs 155 grains. Just right for 158 grain load data for both Unique and 2400 powders. I really like these boolits and I look forward to making more and playing with softer alloys in that boolit style.
There are a couple of mistake boolits pictured on the right ... that is what they look like when you forget to put the HP pin back in .... DUH !!!!!!
Ohio Rusty ><>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v372/OhioRusty/Idealboolits.jpg
Now I just need spring to get here so we can throw the boolits down range.

ambergrifleman
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
I am waiting on Spring myself, Seems like a Long winter anymore. Good Lookin' Boolits !

BCall
02-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I've made that mistake once or twice as well.:oops:

Of course I'm usually casting smaller HP's, but I have found that the longer I keep the pin in the mold, the hotter it stays. I used comet to polish the cavities so the boolit drops easy, then I can cut the sprue with a gloved hand, pull the pin, drop the boolit quickly, re-insert pin, and refill. Going fast like this seems to help keep the pin hot enough that I don't have to worry about keeping it hot. If the boolit doesn't drop freely or with a light shake though, it allows the pin enough time to cool, then I have to reheat it. If I pull the pin first, it cools and I have to put it in the melt or in a flame to keep it hot enough.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851306.jpg

JeffinNZ
02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
BCALL: Is that one of the breaching projectiles the military and police use? The rod on the front contacts walls/doors and detonates the round as it approaches.

(I have cast a few like that also).

In contrast to the Ohio weather we have HOT conditions here at 90F +. The run to work this morning got somewhat sticky.

Jal5
02-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Nice boolits!
Yeah I am casting and loading in this cold wet weather. Can't wait till it breaks so I can try some of these new boolits!

Joe

casterofboolits
02-02-2011, 09:08 AM
My casting shack is not heated except for a couple of kerosene space heaters. The front room is twenty by thirty feet and is hard to heat when the temp is below 32 degrees, especially with one of the commercial exhaust hoods running. So I don't cast when the temp drops below freezing.

It's a good time to clean the loading room and do maintanence on my moulds and other equipment.

The ice did a job on the two large trees in my front yard and my front steps are almost blocked by fallen branches. looks like I am going to have to replace some of my gutters too.

mrbill2
02-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Woke up this morning INSIDE a ICE cube. I don't think the groundhog will get out to see much. Spring seem so far away. Depressing !

RKJ
02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Woke up this morning INSIDE a ICE cube. I don't think the groundhog will get out to see much. Spring seem so far away. Depressing !

He says spring is coming. :) Not soon enough for me, though.

I wanted to do some casting in my garage today but at 12 degrees outside (and about 30 inside) I don't think I'll get to. Oh well, at least it stays cool in the summer also.

HangFireW8
02-02-2011, 10:30 PM
My casting shack is not heated except for a couple of kerosene space heaters. The front room is twenty by thirty feet and is hard to heat when the temp is below 32 degrees, especially with one of the commercial exhaust hoods running. So I don't cast when the temp drops below freezing.

If you can give that exhaust hood its own supply of outside air, it'll stop sucking so much heated air out of the shack.

The lower you can bring the fume hood over the workspace, the better, too.

-HF