PDA

View Full Version : Snow, snow, snow

RobS
02-01-2011, 02:50 PM
I know it's not unusual for those up north but down here this is a mess. Crews don't have the resourses to move the snow and are rather unprepared due to it. Don't get me wrong city, county, and state are working around the clock pushing snow there just isn't enough trucks. So it snows into what is called a blizzard down in the southern plain states and will continue into tomorrow morning. Look out you all out east, it's coming your way!!!

MtGun44
02-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Yep. Nasty in KC area, getting around is tough. I took half a day off to head home
before the going got to be impossible. Pretty tough now, getting deeper rapidly and
vis is very short.

Bill

old turtle
02-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Is not this "global warming" a real problem? Here in Tampa we just had the coldest Jan. on record.

1Shirt
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Think I would rather blow snow out of my driveway than mow my lawn in the summer. I hate to sweat, but sure enjoy soup and coffee when I come in from the cold. To each his own I guess!
1Shirt!:coffee:

AZ-Stew
02-01-2011, 04:12 PM
There was frost on my windshield this morning. It's only 54 degrees here now and it's only supposed to get into the high 40s for the high tomorrow. Brrrrr!

Regards,

Stew

wallenba
02-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Cleared a little snow fall from last night. The big one comes tonight. Chicago looking at 24 inches, we're expecting 18 here with wind. As long as the temps stay low the snow should be light in weight and not clog the Toro. Some local communities here have more equipment than drivers, and are contacting qualified retirees to drive them. We are ready so long as the power stays on (knock on wood). Indiana is getting the wet stuff that freezes on the power lines and brings them down. Good luck to all of you in the path of the storm.

wallenba
02-01-2011, 04:21 PM
There was frost on my windshield this morning. It's only 54 degrees here now and it's only supposed to get into the high 40s for the high tomorrow. Brrrrr!

Regards,

Stew

Rubbin' it in, :bigsmyl2: ? That's comfy casting weather here!

AZ-Stew
02-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Rubbin' it in, :bigsmyl2: ? That's comfy casting weather here!

What ticks me off is that I may need to wear a jacket.

Regards,

Stew

BCall
02-01-2011, 04:35 PM
No kidding, I'm currently dreaming of 54 degrees. 16" here already and not supposed to stop until tomorrow. Some wonderful ice underneath.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh259/blcall/SN851410.jpg

Calamity Jake
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Got 5-6" here last night and today, wind to 50MPH and 10° as I type this.

Needless to say I have stayed inside.

Dframe
02-01-2011, 05:08 PM
16 to 20 inches predicted here in the next 24. I believe them. Snowing so hard that by the time I finished scooping 3 inches out of my driveway there was another half inch back where I started. Blizzard conditions tomorrow with all that snow and stiff winds expected.

white eagle
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM
10-20" is what they are sayin for round here
strong winds aint purdy fellas
shoot and I just got my range plowed out from the last snowfall
good thing there isn't as much snow where the range is ..........just down here by the house where I live
even had to postpone the delivery of a new gun now that is bad !

oldhickory
02-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Regards,

Stew

54 degrees is T-shirt weather around here. I hate winter.

So far all we got is weekly neusance snows, but it's been cold. They're predicting up tp 1/2" of ice tonight...Yippie.

bullshot
02-01-2011, 05:42 PM
I would say " I'm up to my butt in snow" but that has long passed, we're over way over that. Come on Spring!!!!

FISH4BUGS
02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Ahhhh........winter in NH. perfect casting weather in the shed. Fire up the heater, the radio and off you go!...not cold here but it is snowy.....spring is around the corner!

76 WARLOCK
02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
We only got 2-3" but right now it is -11 and going to 20 below tonight.

1911sw45
02-01-2011, 07:54 PM
As I type this it is 56 degs, windy, and light rain here in western ky. Wife is in Tulsa, OK and could not get out of the parking space at her hotel this morning. She had to call in to work. She's to fly back home for the weekend on Thurs night, but I am not sure she will make it then. She has to come by the way of O'hare then to Paducah KY from Tulsa. She's not to happy right now.

JesterGrin_1
02-01-2011, 08:07 PM
You need to sit down for this one lol. In San Antonio TEXAS it is 30F right now with 30 MPH Winds. And the low for tonight is going to be 16 to 18 lol. Dang I am in South TEXAS lol. And to think yesterday it was 77 F and until 3 am this morning it was 66 F lol.

silvertip47
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM
It was 78 here yesterday and it is 25 now, good ole West Texas.

Dragoon 45
02-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Here in Tulsa, it is 10 degrees, with a wind chill of -10 to -15. 50 mph wind gusts have been reported. We have anywhere from 14" -22" of snow on the ground with 4-6 foot drifts; it is the largest recorded snowfall on record for us in a 24 hour period. All major highways are closed. City streets are impassable and all public transportation is shut down. Our newspaper will not print a daily edition tomorrow for the first time in its 106 year history. If I didn't know better I would think I was in the middle of a Wyoming blizzard or a winter storm in Korea.

All that said, the power is still on, I have plenty of groceries, and don't need to leave the house for at least of couple of days. Sooner or later it will melt.

sundog
02-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeppers, just got done updating my credit union web site (from home) for tomorrow's closure. Somehow we've managed to maintain power.

This is a MAJOR event for Oklahoma.

I had a huge drift at the back door that I had to dig thru just to get the dogs out to p.......,well, you know. Had to fish one of the dogs out of the pool as she tried to 'cut' across and avoid the drifts. Ice was too thin. Got her in and warmed, and she is doing fine.

Not looking forward to the cold temps.

knifemaker
02-01-2011, 09:36 PM
Now to tick you all off. I am in the foothills, 1800 Ft. eval. of Northern CA. For the past week we have had sunny days in the 60's. Had one night of rain, sunday night and back to sunny days and blue skies. That one rainy night was the storm that went though here and headed East to dump all that snow.

Our snow pack in the higher mountains is well above average and will give us plenty of water in the coming spring and summer. We might just sell some of it to Southern CA..

DIRT Farmer
02-01-2011, 09:53 PM
And here I set in the Ohio valley, Ice and snow to the North, Tonado and storm warnings South and we have rain. I am OK with rain. The wind is forcast to 45 tonight and tomorrow with some heavy gusts then cold

captaint
02-02-2011, 02:33 AM
Well, we're sitting on around 14 " now and getting half inch of ice tonite. I need for this winter to be over. I've seen enough. Took a vacation day for tomorrow. Come on, Spring. enjoy Mike

LUCKYDAWG13
02-02-2011, 02:45 AM
geeezzzz i cant see 25 feet out my backdoor at least 15" new snow got to love northen illinois

Gun Nut
02-02-2011, 03:32 AM
I got 20"+ work shut down so I had to go play in the reloading room.
What a hard day. Lol:lovebooli

patsher
02-02-2011, 04:55 AM
It's 22 below zero right now here in central Wyoming, but at least there's no wind. When the wind finally comes, it will warm up. Just glad to be inside right now!

Maineboy
02-02-2011, 05:35 AM
This has been one strange winter! I live in far northern Maine where we are just about begging for snow and we're going to miss this big one too! All of the big storms have been south of us and there's just barely enough snow for snowmobiling and skiiing. Bangor, Maine is 2 feet above their snowfall average for this time of year and Caribou is 2 feet below normal. We have two world cup biathlon events, one in Presque Isle this week-end and the other in Fort Kent next week-end, pretty big deals for Aroostook County, Maine, and they've had to make snow for those events. We'll probably get ours in March and April.

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2011, 06:53 AM
weekly thing up here. Have to laugh when icy roads stop the world down there. theres icy roads up here for 4 months out of the year.

Bret4207
02-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Snow? Pfffft! I woke one morning to 46" of "partly cloudy"!!!

Everything is shut down here, the cowards. I'll be in the woods today, assuming I'm not flat on my back in a snowdrift fixing something. It's winter, nothing new.

white eagle
02-02-2011, 09:38 AM
16"of new snow fellers

WILCO
02-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Think I would rather blow snow out of my driveway than mow my lawn in the summer. I hate to sweat, but sure enjoy soup and coffee when I come in from the cold. To each his own I guess!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ditto for me. A shot of brandy always helps too. :grin:

fryboy
02-02-2011, 09:53 AM
i'm not sure where the brite side is but out here on the open plains ( and yup in the blizzard (which is/was a small one by most standards ...) most our snow blows to parts further south :mrgreen: but that blowin part is unrelenting and cuts rite thru ya no matter how many layers one wears , i think the brite side is also the downside , it's cold enough not to melt and it was a dry snow so even tho i dug some out i'll have to redig it out again later , they state that the winds should taper of to a breeze later this evening ( BTW ? around here a breeze is about 20-25 MPH - it's not a wind until it gets to about 35+ and that's what we had yesterday ) ya'll stay safe ! my pup seems to waste no time smellin' stuff in this stuff taking care of biz is a record breaking proposition for her ( and i cant say i blame the poor shorthaired old girl ) :coffeecom

bearcove
02-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Is not this "global warming" a real problem? Here in Tampa we just had the coldest Jan. on record.

They mis named it. :D

buck1
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Down here in SE New mexico (the desert) its +4 and a wind chill of -10 with about 3" of snow . I know that nothing for most of you guys , but it big news for down here.

Lively Boy
02-02-2011, 10:43 AM
got -31 with -51 wind chill only a couple inches of snow. Can't get in car cus the doors are frozen shut...time to reload some stuff. come on spring,reloading is fun but so is shooting.
Stay warm out there!

koehn,jim
02-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Those of you impacted by this storm have my sincere sympathy and best wishes. We had a somewhat bad day here in Southern Calif, it only got up to 61 deg and will not get back to the mid 70s until friday.But all that aside please stay safe we are all in this together.

AZ-Stew
02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Man! Around here this morning it feels like winter in a place where they actually have winter. 28 degrees and 20 mph winds. That's downright chilly for "The Valley Of The Sun". I actually used the heated seats in my truck this morning. Oh, well. It'll be back to normal in a few days.

Regards,

Stew

41magfan
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
We dodged the bullit. Weather service was calling for 1/2 of ice and 3 to 6 inchs of snow. No snow. Now ice. Its 41* and sunny. Warmest its been in over two weeks. It is gettin alittle breezey, gust to 45.

Wayne Smith
02-02-2011, 11:45 AM

True global warming, not the political hype, is happening and it causes changes in weather and extreme weather, not everybody getting warm.

It's going north of us, gonna be in the 70's here today and in the 40's tomorrow!

deltaenterprizes
02-02-2011, 11:56 AM
True global warming, not the political hype, is happening and it causes changes in weather and extreme weather, not everybody getting warm.

It's going north of us, gonna be in the 70's here today and in the 40's tomorrow!

The weather is always changing, that is what weather does. The Earth was once much warmer and Greenland was green.

Mugs
02-02-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm about 100 mi. NW of AZ-Stew we had 9 deg. this morning. After 28 years in Alaska i.ll take it.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L

Ugluk
02-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Let's look at the stats in 50 years, and then we could possibly get an indication on climate change..
It's said (old-wife stuff) that these bad winters comes in threes, so next winter should bring plenty of snow and cold as well.
Last winter was supposed to have been the coldest here since 1942.

I bought a 4-tonne veteran tractor with big bucket and a pto-blower in december, so bring it on! Every snowflake falling helps me justify the money spent.:D
Just finishied replacing the entire electrics and it's got a heated cab and a lot of lights as well.

It's hard to get much shooting done at the range though.

JesterGrin_1
02-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Cold is not the norm here in South Texas San Antonio. It is unheard of for say right now at 12:36PM it is 27F and tonight will be 15 to 16F. Most houses do not come with heaters that are able to keep up with such cold. To say they are working overtime would be an understatement. Including mine lol. But at full bore I have been able to keep things around 55 to 60 inside lol.

wallenba
02-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Well, it's over for now. Got the snow cleared. High winds kept it from piling on the roof, had to use a snow rake to pull at least half a ton of snow out of the truck bed. The sun's trying to poke out of the clouds too. We really could use the snow as it keeps the lake levels up for summer, but it needs to fall on the Canadian shield. Great lakes water levels rely on that.

Bad Water Bill
02-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Here in Chicagoland we get something that is called snow. About 21" so far and more to come. The stuff we get is so wet that anything larger than a construction shovel is useless. A regular snow shovel full might weigh somewhere around 50#. I would not mind that nice powdery stuff that most folks call snow at all.

Tonight they are saying -15 plus the wind.

Al Gore is right global warming IS here

Wayne Smith
02-02-2011, 05:59 PM
The weather is always changing, that is what weather does. The Earth was once much warmer and Greenland was green.

Exactly, I think that's what defines a "dynamic system"!

357maximum
02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
A couple a pics from the Mid Michigan FlatLands:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/2011snow009.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/2011snow007.jpg

I am not sure how much we recieved....hard to measure it when it will not stand still. I know I have drifts of snow other people apparently did not want that are deep enough to hide my whole self in while standing upright ( I fell through one when I underestimated my chubby factor):groner: .

That grass in the 2nd pic was 6 foot+ tall 2 days ago and there is a 6 foot tall x 12 foot diameter pile of clay in the foreground where them weeds are poking up. The tippy top of them weeds is about 9 foot from the surrounding ground normally.

I figure that the northern 1/2 of my 23 acres has an average of 5 to 6 feet plugged into the grass and shrubs and the remaining (southern) half has about 3 foot all plugged up in there. That is alot of water when it melts...that sucks as my range backstop is back there.

I had 3 ..... yes three 4X4 pickups stuck in the road most of the day right in front of my house. It seems that when #1 guy gets his jacked up 4X4 ford on steroids stuck in snow he should not have attempted to drive through in the first place..... not even two standard sized chevy 4x4's can pull it back out. With enough effort they too will become stuck.:veryconfu A great big ol monster 3/4 million dollar John Deere all wheel drive rowcrop tractor will pull all 3 of em out at the same time though.

mrbill2
02-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Dear Diary

Aug.12 Moved to my new home in Pa. It is so beautiful here. The mountains are so majestic. Can hardly wait to see them with snow covering them. I LOVE IT HERE !!

Oct.14 Pa is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turning all colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the mountains and saw some deer. They are so graceful, certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth.
This must be paradise. I LOVE IT HERE !!

Nov.11 Deer season will soon start. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon.
I LOVE IT HERE !!

Dec. 2 It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside to clean the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won), and when the snow plow came by, we had to shovel the driveway again. What a beautful place. I LOVE PA.

Dec. 12 More snow last night. I love it ! The snow-plow did his trick again on the driveway.O HOW I LOVE IT HERE

Dec.19 More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling snow. damn snow-plow.

Dec.22 More of that white **** fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow-plow hides around the corner and waits untill I'm done shoveling the driveway. That so and so!!!

Dec.25 Merry frickin christmas! More damb snow. If I ever get my hands on that guy who drives that snow-plow,
I swear I'll beat him to death. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the damn ice.

Dec.27 More white **** last night. Haven't been outside for three days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow-plow goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, car is stuck in a mountain of that white ****. The weatherman says to expect another 10" again tonight. Do you know how many shovels full of snow 10" is ?

Dec.28 The frickin weatherman was wrong. We got 34" of that white **** this time. At that rate it won't melt till next summer. The snow plow got stuck up the road and that so and so came to the door and ask to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the snow he pushed in my driveway.

Jan.4 Finally got out of the house today. Went to the store to get some food and on the way back a dammed deer ran out in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3000 in damage to the car. Those deer should all be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

May 3 Took the car to the garage in town today. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from all the damn salt they put all over the roads.

May 10 Moved to Georgia. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would ever live in that god-forsaken state of Pa.

smoked turkey
02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Brrr..!! Going to be -10 here tonight. Wind chill taken into account it will feel like -20. We have an honest 13" of snow here and in places where the winds have drifted it is much deeper. I am ready for spring. I burn wood and I have used all my dry wood (as in a shed out of the weather). When I need wood, I am having to go to the woods where it is stacked for next winter. When it is wet and it doesn't put out heat until it really gets going.

bearcove
02-02-2011, 11:27 PM
I'm about 100 mi. NW of AZ-Stew we had 9 deg. this morning. After 28 years in Alaska i.ll take it.
Mugs
IHMSA 5940L

HA! HA! wife was complaining about 10 degrees this afternoon!

Told her we might as well move back to Alaska. She said "ITS ONLY FOR A FEW DAYS!! NOT MONTHS!!

lwknight
02-03-2011, 10:10 AM
Where is that global warming when you need it?
It might be a good thing . Who knows really?

Just Duke
02-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I guess Vegas has one good thing about it. :(

smokemjoe
02-03-2011, 10:21 AM
It wasnt nothing to go ice fishing at -20 ,no tent, wind blowing up the river and 40 below wind chill, Just to catch a Northern Pike.

BD
02-03-2011, 03:00 PM
I talked to my Daughter in Silverthorne, CO yesterday. It was -31 deg F. , and that's not counting any "wind chill" factor. She said there weren't many people skiing. It was 60 deg and sunny here on Hilton Head :)
BD

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-03-2011, 09:11 PM
We got lots of SUNSHINE . . . but it was a tad colder than normal . . . also got lots of ICE!

This is a 4" diameter pipe . . . we hit 0º F last night, they say may be worse tonight, but in the low 50's tomorrow!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/IMG_0010.jpg

lathesmith
02-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks for sharing your diary mrbill, that's a good laugh for sure! I guess officially we "only" got 8 inches of snow here, according to the weather service; I guess my tape measure is broken as it read more like 12"--and that's NOT counting the drift in the front of the house that would beat 12" by a considerable margin (drift is covering the driveway, OF COURSE!

I read a poem about Canada here awhile back; it was talking about the
"beautiful land of Canada,
where in winter, the gentle breezes blow,
at 70 miles per hour, and 30 degrees below".

We ain't quite there, but I get it already!

lathesmith

home in oz
02-03-2011, 09:51 PM
16 " where I live.