PDA

View Full Version : lead on case neck

jce
01-31-2011, 10:19 PM
When inspecting some fired 8x57 lee Karibiner gc 240gr loads 22-25gr H4198 i,m finding lead on the case neck what is causing this I,m worried that it could build up enough to stop the neck from expanding the bore sluged .325 boolits are sized to .326 is this a chamber problem and what should i do Thanks craig .

01-31-2011, 11:25 PM
Do I read you right that the lead is on the outside of the case?

Did you expand the case mouth? If not, the lead was probably shaved off during seating.

Did you inspect each round after it came out of the seating die?

jce
02-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Yes you read me right no lead on the case from seating the boolit i think the chamber is shaving a little off when i chamber a round could this be reamed out a little ?

HammerMTB
02-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Hit the inside (and outside for that matter) with a chamfer tool, and use an "M" die or other case mouth belling tool to put enough bell in the case mouth to start a boolit without shaving it. Then you will need to take the bell back out of the mouth after seating the boolit. No need to really crimp, just remove the bell.

nes4ever69
02-01-2011, 01:56 AM
i had lead on the inside and outside of a case once. i am sure it was from to hot of a load. i had a brain fart and miss read the scale. was going .4 grains over max load data.

Wayne Smith
02-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Is this chunks of scraped lead or a smear of melted lead?

mrbill2
02-01-2011, 10:12 AM
I have also had this happen to my new 308 Savage 12BVSS. a very slight deposit of lead on the outside of the case neck after firing. After firing the round I alway wipe the case neck before I return the case to the cartridge box. I could see the lead wash on some case necks. I can scrap it off with my finger nail. I my case I think that the bullet sized 310 was too large for the throat dia. The rifle is chambered with a .3085 dia. throat. Bullet is Lyman 311644 #2 alloy WD. I now size to that dia. and have't bin able to shoot to see if that solved the problem. Also annealed the case necks. Cases are sized and trimed to lenght,belled and debured. My rifle has only had about 3 to 4 hundred rounds through the barrel.

Bass Ackward
02-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Check the inside neck diameter of a fired case. You are sizing .001 over bore, but you may have too much neck clearance requiring either a larger diameter bullet or softer case neck anneal or both.

Some of the guys beat this by making cases out of 06 brass so that they have the thicker neck needed.

mrbill2
02-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Check the inside neck diameter of a fired case. You are sizing .001 over bore, but you may have too much neck clearance requiring either a larger diameter bullet or softer case neck anneal or both.

Some of the guys beat this by making cases out of 06 brass so that they have the thicker neck needed.

Thank You Mr. Bass.
I'll check that out. I have heard about using 30.06 brass for cases before. I going to make 10 and give that a try.

Harter66
02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
I once had some 45 Colts do the same thing,and recently my 06. A quick anneal and problem solved. In my case it was a matter of light loads,comparitively,not sealing the work hardened cases,I believe.

jce
02-01-2011, 01:00 PM
OK that might be a problem these are 30-06 cases that have been sized to 8x57 I,ll aneal them but I chambered one last night and you can see that there is a very small amount of lead thats being shaved off in the throat could a guy run emery cloth or something in to ream this out less than one thousands THANKS CRAIG

Wayne Smith
02-01-2011, 02:20 PM
That's what I thought, guys. He's talking shaved lead from the chamber. There is something going on in the chambering process that is shaving lead - and that's in the rifle. Until you find out what is causing the shaving you don't know what to do about it.

I would want to do a chamber cast and find out what's going on in that throat.

montana_charlie
02-01-2011, 03:39 PM
When deciding what diameter a cast bullet needs to be, the shooter will sometimes choose "one or two thousandths over groove diameter" or he may choose "the largest bullet that will chamber without problems".

You appear to have a bullet which will not "chamber without problems", so it probably just needs to be sized down a bit.

CM

jce
02-04-2011, 01:57 PM
OK I took a small amount out of the throat and that stopped the lead on the case neck thanks for all the help now to see if this thing will shoot craig