PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts

mag_01
11-09-2006, 11:18 AM
:coffee: ----- As I think back over the years a few thoughts about shooting I would like to share with the forum---This is from my own experience--perhaps just something to think about. Perhaps help-full (if you think about it) perhaps not.

Guns and selected ammo in many cases can outperform the 'shooter'

The largest boolit diameter you can chamber (lead) will perform well

Bench rest shooting should only be used to test rifle loads

I don't believe pistols should be tested from the bench

Disciplined along with good mental and physical strength is paramount

Trigger finger exercise and push ups are help-full on the road to shooting well

A women can be taught to shoot well quicker than a man (Ego---Macho)

felix
11-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Women actually shoot much better than men assuming enough strength for the position, but usually cannot be trained to outguess the ambient conditions as well as men. ... felix

Phil
11-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I'll bet Nancy Tompkins-Gallagher would love to hear that Felix! (:>)

Cheers,

Phil

B747
11-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Women actually shoot much better than men assuming enough strength for the position, but usually cannot be trained to outguess the ambient conditions as well as men. ... felix

Ah, but there are some very noteable examples of women who can dope out the
conditions to a degree that is absolutely amazing.

Two of the best Long Range shooters in the world --- Nancy Tompkins and Michelle Gallagher
have repeatably put 20 shots on a row from 1000 yds (prone)
in a group you could cover with a dinner plate.

At a 1000 yards --- even the almost imperceptable 1 mph wind / mirage
change will move the bullet impact the better part of a foot.
Being able to dope out these conditions is what seperates the
men from the boys and from the women. :-D

Wally

Scrounger
11-09-2006, 01:44 PM
Nancy Tompkins was Nancy Gallagher before she married Middleton Tompkins about 20 years ago. Mr. Tompkins, who used to shoot at a club I belonged to, has enough trophies himself he needs a semi to haul them around in. Unfortunately he spent all his time learning to shoot and never had time to take Andrew Carnegie's course, "How to Win Friends and Influence People". Unfortunately most of the National Match Course shooters I met had an ego problem and had the attitude that they were better than shooters in other disciplines. I used to have a dream of being rich some day and building a super range with matches in every kind of shooting---except theirs.

1Shirt
11-10-2006, 09:46 AM
All of my rifles and definately my hand helds shoot better than me!

Yep, like the fat ones also!

Bench shooting is just one form of shooting. All forms are good!

Regarding pistols and benches, see above!

Yep, discipline is necessary, and good mental health as physical condition slows down with age is great as a major excuse.

Trigger finger excercise, if you mean squeezing off for practice, I concur!

Women who have never fired a weapon, and kids both learn faster because they listen and pay attention. Nimrods who have never fired anything but their mouths have a tendancy to want to be Rambo, or Sgt. York, or what ever else they have seen on T.V. or the movies.

1Shirt!:coffee:

VTDW
11-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Mag,

You have started a very interesting subject for sure.

:coffee: ----- As I think back over the years a few thoughts about shooting I would like to share with the forum---This is from my own experience--perhaps just something to think about. Perhaps help-full (if you think about it) perhaps not.

Guns and selected ammo in many cases can outperform the 'shooter'
Absolutely correct IMHO!!!

The largest boolit diameter you can chamber (lead) will perform well
If your loads are good and the alloy is right for the game...yep.

Bench rest shooting should only be used to test rifle loads
I do not get this one, but I think I understand the statement.

WHY?? If good enough for a rifle why not a pistol?

Disciplined along with good mental and physical strength is paramount
Along with muscle memory?

Trigger finger exercise and push ups are help-full on the road to shooting well
I excersise my finger on the bench and in the bedroom.:drinks:

A women can be taught to shoot well quicker than a man (Ego---Macho)
I ain't going there as I ain't tooo stupid.:mrgreen:

Again, a good thread.

Dave

mag_01
11-10-2006, 11:29 PM
I would like to cover trigger finger exercise----one or two heavy rubber bands held in left hand and trigger finger of right hand pulling on the bands under tension--can be done while watching TV. Will make triggers feel light.

As far as pistols and bench shooting that is a tough one---I just feel there are forces acting on the pistol -- shock waves-harmonics if you will--I know this is also present in a rifle but the rifle is easier to control and adapts better to bench rest shooting---I also believe shooting should be done off hand with open sites. Again this is just my opinion (may not be true). I see so many hunters shooting off the bench and not standing up to shoot----Will someone provide a bench for them when they are hunting. Again just my thoughts--probably a very poor explanation but I tried-------Mag

LAH
11-12-2006, 05:37 PM
WHY?? If good enough for a rifle why not a pistol?

Yeah.............why not test from the bench.........Creeker

arkypete
11-12-2006, 06:27 PM
LAH
Left out one.
No matter how good the rifle, ammo, shooter is if another guy is shooting your set up he will always out shoot you, with your own stuff.
Jim

LAH
11-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Hee Hee

mag_01
11-18-2006, 11:54 AM
:coffee: ---ARKYPETE-----We can mess those people up by setting your sites a foot high-----You compensate by shooting a foot low---produce a good target and watch there expression when there print out is a foot high. then just tell them that they are a good shooter and move on---I have done it to a few (know it alls)---don't do it to a friend---Treat true friends well they are hard to come by-------Mag