PDA

View Full Version : Old Unique

FallRun
11-09-2006, 09:14 AM
I have a pound of the old style unique and don't have any data for it. can anyone help? I reload for .45 acp, .40 S&W, 9mm Luger and .357 I would just like to use this stuff up. How I got ahold of this is a whole other story. I bought this from a gun store about 4 months ago (with no data) when I found out there was a difference between the old and the new I tried to return it and they wouldn't take it back. OK, live and learn. Am I right in assuming I cant load the old stuff with today's data?

35remington
11-09-2006, 09:24 AM
No, the new data is safe with the old powder. Alliant offers data in a booklet they distribute free at most reloading suppliers. Have you checked the gunstores for this?

JDL
11-09-2006, 09:29 AM
Use the starting loads, work up, and you shouldn't have a problem. -JDL

44man
11-09-2006, 09:58 AM
I have both the new and old and can't find any difference except the new stuff is a little cleaner burning. Just use the new data.

FallRun
11-09-2006, 11:59 AM
I have both the new and old and can't find any difference except the new stuff is a little cleaner burning. Just use the new data. Do you guys understand that the unique I'm talking about is from when it was made by Hercules? if so then thats great news and I thank you all for your help. Its gonna be dirty though HUH?

imashooter2
11-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Hercules Unique and Alliant Unique use the same data. The Alliant web site will have basic load info posted.

AlaskaMike
11-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Its gonna be dirty though HUH?

To be honest, I didn't see that the new Unique was any cleaner than the old. From what I could tell, they might as well have opened up old Hercules containers and dumped the contents into new Alliant-labelled containers and sold it as the new stuff.

Mike

Hunter
11-09-2006, 04:44 PM
I have heard that the data for Unique has remained somewhat constant so the new data is compatiable with the old powder. I believe the new cut of Unique to be a little cleaner burning than the old cut. From what I understand the new Unique's flakes are more consistant cut in depth and size allowing for a more complete burn.

9.3X62AL
11-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Another vote for the "Unique Seems Unchanged To Me" Party. As always, start low and work up, but I didn't see any performance change between the two fuels in any of the several applications I've used it for since the "change". That spans the shotshell, rifle/cast, and handgun cast/jacketed spectrum. Very Shakespearean--"Much Ado About Nothing", methinks. But err on the side of caution in this hobby, ALWAYS.

Dan in Wa
11-09-2006, 05:56 PM
Just as dirty as the old stuff, and just as good too.

threett1
11-09-2006, 11:29 PM
Yup, hard to beat, but just as dirty. Probably a marketing ploy.