PDA

View Full Version : My first cast

reload68
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM
My first cast yesterday went great because of all of you guys and the great share the wealth of wisdom here at Castboolits. I'd put this site up against anything out there! My boolits were a bit frosty because my melt was a little hot but still a success thanks to you.

Today I ran into a problem trying to size with my NOS Lyman 450. I cannot get the sizer die (452) to go down and seat flush. I've got about 1/8" between the retaining nut and the frame & cannot get it down - I'm afraid of stripping the threads out of the frame. Is this the infamous alignment problem with Lyman and is there anything I can do about it? Help if you can.

thanks guys

david

thegreatdane
01-31-2011, 12:46 AM
Congrats! What mold are you using?

Sorry, I can't comment on the sizer issue.

reload68
01-31-2011, 01:14 PM
The Lee 452-200 FP aluminum. All i did was clean it, smoke it and start casting. Haven't weighed them yet to see what I got

01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
"I cannot get the sizer die (452) to go down and seat flush."

Check that the push out rod is all the way down.

When I install a die, I set the wrench on top of the die and lower the ram. This helps overcome the resistance of any lube that is on the die or the die cavity.

Walter Laich
01-31-2011, 03:53 PM
My sizing dies in my 450 are a bit proud, too. the shoulder of the nut that holds the die in has about 1/16" or so gap.

I tighened it down (not a death grip here) and don't have any leaks so I don't worry about it. My theory and it's only a theory is they didn't bore the bottom of the die recess as deep as they used to, either that or the sizing dies are a bit longer than they used to be.

walt

reload68
01-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks Walt,
Thats what I've done too! After setting the limits on the sizer I'm lubing and sizing away. I'm sure the Quality Control and tolerances varies greatly on consumer items and all are not alike. For example some of the youtube videos on operataing the 450 show the die nut going down and fitting flush. Mine was made in the middle 90's and does not.

David

mooman76
01-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Did you back off the pressure good before you started it?