PDA

View Full Version : Got Leading With 22LR

leadman
01-30-2011, 08:15 PM
I decided to clean my 22lr guns the other day and 3 of them had leading in front of the chamber. I have not had this before. The guns all have have excellent bores.
I shot a large variety of brands the last time at the range, but none of it was rapid fire.
I did get several FTF with a bulk pack of the Remington Golden bullets which I have not had before either.

Have any of you had leading recently?

camerl2009
01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
leading is normal for me i just clean it and dont worry about it

Char-Gar
01-31-2011, 12:50 PM
It is hard to tell the difference between lead and bullet lubricant build up. In either case it will come out easy. If the stuff is allowed to built up to far in an autopistol, it can result in a round failing to fully chamber and being fired. This can result in a head separation of the case with some gas and brass bits being blown out the ejection port. It happened once to me and I have been better about cleaning the barrel every since.

Remington bulk ammo gives many more problems that the Federal. I quit Remington a couple of years ago.

Marvin S
01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
I bought a new Sig Trailside a few years ago and was shooting a few hundred rounds threw it and noticed it was shooting very poorly. I then inspected the bore to find it completely coated with lead. I had never seen anything like it. I think it was federal bulk pack ammo. Mind you this was a new Sig with the Hammerli barrel.

**oneshot**
01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
Had a revolver lead up so bad that I was tumbling bullets. Last time I ever shot that batch of ammo. It happens.

leadman
02-01-2011, 12:21 AM
I'll have to shoot some of the different brands I have and check the bores before switching. I've had some of these guns over 40 years and never had leading before.
I did notice that some of the bullets don't feel as waxy as the old ones did.

Anyone shoot any of the old "Junior" Russian ammo that was steel cased? lot of lube on it! Also needed a pocket knife to get the cases out of the guns, even my Rem 581 with 2 extractors.