PDA

View Full Version : coyote

hiram
01-30-2011, 12:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVE9qfg7yI&NR=1&feature=fvwp

krag35
01-30-2011, 12:04 PM
I have never seen a wild Coyote act like that.

klcarroll
01-30-2011, 12:24 PM
The coyotes that are becoming more and more common here in Illinois seem to be MUCH more fearless than the examples I used to see during my trips through the Western States. ......And they also seem to be physically larger, which leads me to suspect that they are interbreeding with local feral dogs.

In the town I live in, (far western Chicago suburbs) it is not unusual to see a group of three or four trotting right down the middle of a residential street early in the morning.

In spite of what the P.I.T.A. people have to say on the subject, .....the presence of a large Pack Predator that is not afraid of humans, in a Suburban Environment, makes me vaguely uncomfortable.

Kent

Charlie Two Tracks
01-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Coyotes are not indigenous to Illinois. We used to hunt rabbit and Pheasant here and they were plentiful until the coyotes showed up. They do interbreed with wild dogs and that makes a mess. If I see one out hunting, it gets shot. Some pheasant are roosting in trees like turkey. You hardly ever see a rooster anymore. Too bad.

waksupi
01-30-2011, 01:55 PM
That coyote is in the first stages of rabies.

starmac
01-30-2011, 02:29 PM
The new canadian coyote call. lol

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-30-2011, 03:41 PM
I was waiting for him to shoot it!:Fire: That's what I would have done!

firefly1957
01-30-2011, 04:16 PM
waksupi You may be very right early stage would account for behavior and coming to the IDIOT making noise as rabid animal will be attracted/annoyed by noise.
Though it is also possible that it was a pet I have never saw a coyote wag it's tail like that? and its demeanor was not of hunting more playful.
It was on the other end of Canada that 2 coyotes killed a woman last year. I would have shot it on sight and filmed the remains. I had a coyote in yard at night come up towards me it was all alert and stalking at 40 feet I put a 22 long rifle bullet in it and it ran off not to be found. A second one at 80 yds got two bullets in the ribs. I have kept a larger rifle at hand since. While a 190 gr Sierra HPBT from 30-06 fails miserably on deer they open and destroy coyotes.

starmac
01-30-2011, 05:12 PM
There are some tuff deer up there huh.

MtGun44
01-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Either a sick animal or fraud. Definitely not normal behavior.

How about food being held out to a coyote that has been fed enough to come up and take
it from the hand or very close to the person, then set up the camera. A large number of
YouTube videos are various kinds of faked and frauds.

Bill

klcarroll
01-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Either a sick animal or fraud. Definitely not normal behavior.

How about food being held out to a coyote that has been fed enough to come up and take
it from the hand or very close to the person, then set up the camera. A large number of
YouTube videos are various kinds of faked and frauds.

Bill

Bill, ......I am thinking that your assessment of "Sick or Fraud" is probably accurate if that video was shot in the coyote’s normal range.

....But I can assure you that the hybrid creatures we see here in Illinois DO NOT behave like "pure-bred" coyotes: .....For whatever reason, they are COMPLETELY un-intimidated by humans.

Kent

Uncle R.
01-30-2011, 06:16 PM
That coyote didn't look sick - in fact I thought it looked pretty sleek. I too wonder if it was familiar with people already - maybe has been fed before.
Here in southern WI we also have ever greater numbers of coyotes and they are becoming ever bolder. Suburban pets have been taken many times, and there was an incident not too long ago where a LEO shot and killed a coyote that was growling at people and behaving in aggressive fashion. I suspect it will get worse. They're losing their fear of man and the results won't be good.

Trey45
01-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I would have shot it. It was pretty enough to save the fur on that one. Would make a nice hat and gloves. I kept thinking the whole time I was watching it, STOP calling it you idiot! If that thing has rabies and bites you, you're in trouble!

AZ-Stew
01-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I would have shot it. It was pretty enough to save the fur on that one. Would make a nice hat and gloves. I kept thinking the whole time I was watching it, STOP calling it you idiot! If that thing has rabies and bites you, you're in trouble!

Ditto. Had it been me, the first time it ran toward him I'd have run a .41 210 SWC through it lengthwise.

Regards,

Stew

starmac
01-30-2011, 07:00 PM
I am more inclined to belive it has been fed some. There are those that claim the coyote is the most adaptable animal there is with pretty good reasoning for it. In that video it looked as if they were at a work camp, more than likely an oil field camp and also more than likely no shooting allowed, for sure there would be no one with a handgun. Probably some of the hands throw him some scraps from time to time. I know of a pullout in the yukon that a coyote hangs out and it is not uncommon for him to sit just a few feet from the drivers door hopeing for a scrap. I know of a pullout in alaska where a fox begs for scraps regularly. I stopped at an old truckstop outside of kingman az at 2 am and as I was walking in there was a dog looking in the glass door, When I got close enough I could see it was a coyote bitch that had some pups somewhere, it backed away only about five foot and acted skittish but didn't leave. I asked about it inside and they said they had a cook that would put out scraps for it.

BOOM BOOM
01-30-2011, 08:11 PM
HI,
That amazing footage. Never seen the like.

firefly1957
01-30-2011, 11:23 PM
starmac Those bullets just are not made for hunting they do not expand on deer but explode or break in two . I could not recover the one I hit the coyote with but the exit was bigger than a softball on broadside shot. I have put three into 2 deer without a exit I have gone to another bullet for deer hunting.

jmsj
01-30-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm inclined to go along w starmac's view point.
In the town nearest to me have some Red foxes move into town. One of the guys that used to work for me, showed me video of his family feeding the fox cheetos.
20 years ago, I went to a resturant in Malibu, Ca. where the coyotes would come and beg at the resturant for table scraps. I was amazed when one of the staff threw a plate of scraps to a coyote so the patrons could watch the coyote eat.
I don't think people realize that they are playing with fire. But they are also the ones that get upset when "Fluffy" goes missing.

derek45
01-31-2011, 02:07 AM
I Like to feed local coyotes.

. . . . . usually 60gr. VMAX delivered at 3200fps

:D

Bad Water Bill
01-31-2011, 04:02 AM
Coyotes are not indigenous to Illinois. We used to hunt rabbit and Pheasant here and they were plentiful until the coyotes showed up. They do interbreed with wild dogs and that makes a mess. If I see one out hunting, it gets shot. Some pheasant are roosting in trees like turkey. You hardly ever see a rooster anymore. Too bad.

Charlie
Someone else made the same statement on another site a couple months ago soooo I checked some and found where a Jesuit Priest in 1750 reported large packs of coyotes and wolves very common in what is now southern Illinois. I guess they are a native species here. Pheasants are not native to the U S A.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-31-2011, 07:06 AM
They had a bounty on them at one time around here. Too bad they still don't. I know a few guys that hunt them but they are all over the place.

NSP64
01-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Firefly1957, probably because you are using a target bullet. You should be using a gameking bullet.

firefly1957
01-31-2011, 05:49 PM
NSP64 Yes I ran out of game kings and could not get any a couple years ago so I had 190's thought I would give them a try. I am now using 180 Hornady SST and they have worked great on two deer . I loaded 190's with a OLD can of WW 785 and they shoot .9" 100 yard groups with 70 of them loaded I think yodel dogs will be their primary use.( unless I want the pelt)

Harter66
01-31-2011, 07:46 PM
I was always told that the yote was the last undomesticable canine. We get a lot of kitt/desert/grey foxes out here that will all but hop in your truck and go home with you for a pbj but even the trash can raider yotes steer wide in the daylight. I did shoot 1 with a bow right out the dinning room window in my back yard at Walker Lake once , the now x-wife was really upset about the screen . We've always had a no license open season on them here ,I've heard that is to change too. You had to buy a trappers license to sell hides though.

starmac
01-31-2011, 08:06 PM
I have seen farmers and ranchers chase them across wheat fields and pastures in cadillacs if that was what they were driving when one was spotted. I had an uncle total a one day old chevy 4X4 chasing one. He hadn't even bought insurance yet. lol

dk17hmr
01-31-2011, 08:32 PM
Really nice pelt on that one. Almost looks like Yellowstone the yotes up there dont care what your doing.

This one came through my job site while I was working.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/dk17hmr/IMG_0599.jpg

frankenfab
01-31-2011, 09:05 PM
I think the animal was familiar to him.

TCLouis
02-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Did not watch to the end, but at times it was like it was playing as if it had been around humans, other times the approach had the appearance of an attack . . . INTERESTING!