PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Info. on K-31

mag_01
11-08-2006, 08:55 PM
:coffee: ---Don't know if this has been covered in forum before but under the butt plate of your K-31 you will probably find the name and Addy of soldier who used this firearm---Some have been contacted via Internet---some will respond and some wont-------------:castmine: ---- Mag

twotoescharlie
11-09-2006, 02:01 PM
not all of them have tags. I got 3 out of 14, made contact with one, gentleman named Hans Frick. shot a blank on the other two. alot of these old fellers have passed on.

TTC

Four Fingers of Death
11-09-2006, 06:58 PM
I have heard of that with an Israeli mauser. The guy did it when he handed it in for a later model rifle, he had carried on a Kibbutz apparently, kinda like putting a note in a bottle and throwing it in the sea. Mick.

1Shirt
11-10-2006, 09:35 AM
Haven't pulled mine down to refinish the stock yet, but will as a winter project. Rifle shoots cast like a million bucks, but the stock looks like somebody attacked it with hob nail boots.
1Shirt!:coffee: :coffee:

Ricochet
11-10-2006, 11:02 AM
the stock looks like somebody attacked it with hob nail boots.

Somebody did. Swiss soldiers wore boots with spikes on the bottoms of the soles AND around the edges. On the collector boards like http://milsurpshooter.net/ it's widely agreed that the hobnails caused the "beaver chewing," but there are several versions of how. One is that they hit them with the nails while stamping their feet with the rifle at parade rest. (I have a hard time believing that would have resulted in such severe, widespread "chewing.") Another, more believable one is that on bivouac they left the rifles stacked (they have a stacking hook under the muzzle and a muzzle/front sight protector accessory that was normally kept on) on wet ground and in snow, which caused the usual water damage at the butt. The stacked rifles were often frozen to the ground in the morning, and were kicked at the butt to break them loose.

Seems to me like someone who's gotten the previous owner to answer a letter should simply ask.

1Shirt
11-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Ricochet, Good info. Now if somebody who has name and adress would write for an answer to that am sure that many would be appreciative of knowing for sure.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ricochet
11-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Here's another great site with tons of info on these rifles: http://swissrifles.com/