PDA

View Full Version : Not the greatest find in history, but I was pleased...

dunkel
01-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Went to Home Depot today for some hardiplank and went to see the saw guy. Got a 5 gallon bucket of nice, clean sawdust for free.

So, um, yeah, not quite like scoring a big wheel weight find or something, but still nice to know there's free stuff you get out there to help out.

legend
01-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Well done,all you have to do is look a little.....

Charlie Two Tracks
01-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Good job dunkel. It is amazing how much moisture sawdust can hold and still look dry. As you probably do, I put mine on top of the mix and light it. I tried stirring in the fresh sawdust once and as the spoon went down it rumbled and bubbled and that was enough warning for me.

HammerMTB
01-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice find.
for those that live in the NW corner of WA, PM me and I'll get you some sawdust. It is all kiln-dried stuff from a mill, and there is surplus enough to go around. Yuo come pick it up in the Skagit Valley, I don't do deliverys..... :veryconfu

Philngruvy
01-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Went to Home Depot today for some hardiplank and went to see the saw guy. Got a 5 gallon bucket of nice, clean sawdust for free.

So, um, yeah, not quite like scoring a big wheel weight find or something, but still nice to know there's free stuff you get out there to help out.

Be careful of sawdust from such sources, it might have a lot of pressure treated sawdust mixed with it.

Jack Stanley
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM
I had to yank an apple tree from the orchard this year . While cutting it up for firewood I got the idea that if I tried to confine the sawing to one area I could revoer some of the saw leavings . I did manage to collect some and when using it on the lead I let it set there a bit to dry before I try to stir it in . A little candle wax during the stirring helps it light off some .

This spring I got a couple spruce trees to cut so maybe I'll save some of that the same way .

Jack

dunkel
01-31-2011, 01:03 PM
Be careful of sawdust from such sources, it might have a lot of pressure treated sawdust mixed with it.

Uh oh...educate me...

high standard 40
01-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Uh oh...educate me...

There are all sorts of published warnings about burning pressure treated wood.
It produces a smoke that is unhealthy to breath.

dunkel
01-31-2011, 01:32 PM
There are all sorts of published warnings about burning pressure treated wood.
It produces a smoke that is unhealthy to breath.

Ok, I have heard that. Is it a problem even if I'm smelting outside? Or are there any other steps I can take to mitigate the risk? Or do I just dump the sawdust I got and look for another source?

Doby45
01-31-2011, 03:19 PM
If you are smelting outside there are other things far worse that you do not want to be smelling, so go ahead and use your swa dust. Your not in an enclosed space, but don't hang over the pot as it is smoking, common sense.

luvtn
01-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Pressure treated wood contains arsenic. Might be god for the lead, but not for you. Don't breathe the smoke/fumes.
lt