PDA

View Full Version : New to casting.

Hunter
11-08-2006, 07:33 PM
I took the plunge last night and ordered enough equipment to begin casting for .45 ACP. I have been buying lead 200gr SWC and here lately they have been getting harder to come by and since I got into IDPA style matches I am using right many (matches and needed practice).
I have been into handloading pistol and rifle bullets for several years now so casting seemed the next logical step. I have made a few "friends" at the local tire stores and will be able to keep myself stocked with lead wheel weights.
I have been a member of m1911.org a few years now and have found out there are some good folks on these online forums so I look forward to learning from you all and contribuating when I can.
For now I will be doing a lot of reading, asking questions, and waiting for the UPS man to show up with my Christmas present to myself. Take care.

robertbank
11-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Welcome aboard Hunter. The folks here have all been where you are now so I am sure you will get solid informative replies to your questions. I know I have learned a lot from the guys here and I have been at it longer than I care to think about. Nothing like using your own pills.

Great extension to your shooting sport.

Take Care

Bob

SharpsShooter
11-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the nut house. :-D If you are just getting started, there is no better place on the web to find out what you want to know about the cast boolit business. Having "friends" at the tire store is a major plus too. This is how it starts so innocently. [smilie=1: First you are casting for one caliber, then another and pretty soon it's an equity loan to finance the moulds, dies, guns and the other things and gadgets that ya just "gotta have"

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.8-)

SS

Hunter
11-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Thanks Bob.
Sharpshooter I know what you mean, my stuff ain't even got here yet and I am already looking at molds in other calibers and other gadgets.
I have that same problem with handloading, I want it all.
Bob has given me some great advice on the phone and helped talk me into starting to cast and joining this fine forum.I have started out small (10 pound top pour Lyman pot) and will upgrade as funds allow. I have a Colt 1911 problem that seems to strain my checking account (actually drawed from my Colt fund to finance the Lyman equipment) I apperciate the welcome and look forward from drawing from the collective wisdom of you all.

arkypete
11-08-2006, 09:25 PM
Hunter
Some of these people started out casting with stone molds. They have lots of experience.
Jim

45nut
11-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Ahh,,,you made it in. Welcome to CB!

Hunter
11-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Ahh,,,you made it in. Welcome to CB!

Yes sir I am here now. Thanks for all yalls help!

robertbank
11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
When it comes to Colt fellows be careful around Hunter. The guy got one shoved in his throat when he was two and he hasn't got over it yet. If you watch the stock market Colt shares go up every two weeks when this guy gets paid.

Take Care

Bob

mag_01
11-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the group Hunter---Glad to have you aboard--- The 45APC is an easy one---easy to cast--load for --- and to shoot. Plenty of info. here just feel free to ask about areas that will be new to you------ Mag

454PB
11-10-2006, 01:41 AM
Welcome, Hunter.

The constantly escalating cost of factory boolits seems to be bringing a lot of new casters to the game. Since you have "friends in heavy places", you have a leg up on most of us. I too have put a few rounds through the .45 ACP., Colt and otherwise.

Bigjohn
11-10-2006, 03:27 AM
Welcome to the board, Hunter,

I am a former Colt 1911 owner, the former part due to the current government here downunder. Great handguns, wouldn't have parted with it otherwise.

I shoot IPSC and used cast from the word go, I have lost count of the K number of rounds I've loaded to feed .45 ACP throats. The amount of lead would be measured in tonnes (metric).

My Colt loved the RN but would chew through the 200gr SWC's if loaded properly.

I usually cast mine a little harder than WW material and lubed with basically whatever was going at the time so long as it was soft. It did not like moly or hard lubes; would lead the barrel.

Anyway, welcome and have fun here,

John.

Hunter
11-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Thank you everyone for the welcome. Well I spent about half a day visiting my friends at the tire store getting some scrap wheel weights. Many of them told me that it did not pay to sell the lead because it barley brought enough $ to pay for the time to do it so they were glad to give me what they had. I must admit is was fun going around collecting the ww. I have a few more to go to in the next few days (I was running out of time) but here is a picture of what I got today and my little buddy posing for the camera.
All in all it is about 3 1/2 5 gallon buckets I got today. When I got home I found my Lyman molds waiting on my pourch. As soon as I get the rest of my stuff I will begin. I am going Saturday to get me a propane burner and small cast iron pot ( big enough to hold about 6 pounds).
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/Hunter1911/1.jpg

nighthunter
11-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Pretty picture ... welcome to the board, the nut house and the addiction. Ain't nutthin gonna be the same ever again for ya.
Nighthunter

robertbank
11-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Hey guys when do we tell him you don't use WW for bullets?
Just messing with your mind Hunter, well done!

Take Care

Bob

Hunter
11-10-2006, 11:44 PM
No Bob you told me on the phone to get wheel weights.
Yea I know. I took delievery of all my casting equipment tonight so I plan to start smelting Saturday. Man it is like Christmas!

Hunter
11-15-2006, 10:07 PM
Well I casted 80 pounds of 1 pound ingots tonight. It is more fun that I figured, I am hooked.

arkypete
11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Well I casted 80 pounds of 1 pound ingots tonight. It is more fun that I figured, I am hooked.

Hunter
When all the walls of your garage or basement are lined with lead ingots up four or five feet and the local civil defense folks want to use you place for protection against radiactivity you are close to having enough lead.
Another indicator is the end of your garage begins to sink.
Jim

Hunter
11-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Well I just finished up my first casting session. I was able to cast about 140 .45 ACP 200gr LSWC before I totally ran out of daylight. I finished by a work lamp. It took me a little while to get the hang of the ladle pour but now I am hooked. Once you get going good making those bullets went much faster than I thought. I think I have a new hobby.

Bigjohn
11-17-2006, 09:40 PM
Hunter; Yes, once you get things started casting well/properly it falls into what myself and a mate call 'cadence' (Rhythmic flow).

It just seems to flow along in a smooth flow of time. [smilie=1:

I must add at this point that I did not realise how much I missed my COLT .45 acp, until you and others here started comparing notes and trading pictures. Just another reason not to vote for the current Prime Minister here. :twisted:

Oh well, I suppose the memories will sustain me.

Best wishes with your casting and shooting.

:drinks:

John

Hunter
11-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Well yall I have cast a few hundred 200gr LSWC in .45 ACP and loaded them with 5.8gr of Unique. The test comes Sunday but so far the casting is as much fun as the handloading. I am happy with all my Lyman casting equipment as I am my Hornady reloading equipment.
I did come across this web site that figures out your reloading cost.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
Now I started casting I am at about $2.10 per 50 rounds of .45 ACP.

robertbank
11-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Hunter you dog, well at least I won't have to listen to that constant yapping about Colt's anymore, well at least a little less.:mrgreen:

Just finished loading 100 rds of .41LC for a friend of mine in Manitoba. He has the same Colt .41LC as I do as it turns out.

I got to get a map of the world to note where all my friends I have met and talked to that have come to me from casting, reloading and shooting. Truly is a world sport and hobby. Even know a fellow with a cat named Leroy!

Take Care

Bob

Hunter
11-24-2006, 12:36 AM
No Bob, Not only will I be yappin about Colts and Hornady but now Lyman.
It is amazing how a simple hobby of shooting can connect so many folks who become friends. Thank you for all your help.

Hunter
11-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Well back from the range and my first outing with my own cast 200gr LSWC in .45 ACP.
I brought 150 rounds of my own cast and 50 rounds of store bought 200gr LSWC. I was shooting at a 5" bullseye at 50' with my Colt GCT. I was able to keep all them inside the black until I went to rapid fire then the groups opened up about another inch or so. I was shooting 2 magazines per group (16 rounds total) and kept track of store bought vs my own cast. I do believe my cast were a little more consistent than the store bought. When I weighed the individual bullets the home cast were a more consistent weight and diameter. Some of the store bought speced out at .453 while all mine were sized at .452 so I did run some of the store bought through my sizer.
I did get less leading through my barrel with my own cast (Bob tells me this is because I am using a softer lube and a .452 sizer).
All in all I am well pleased with the results.
Thank yall for all the help.

robertbank
11-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Good to hear, nice when a plan comes together.

Take Care

Bob