PDA

View Full Version : Lemi- shine convert

Digger
01-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Been using the usual vinegar solutions all this time but finally found some Lemi-shine to try .....
WOW ! .... faster and easier to use , throw it in some warm water and you are on your way.
I use a little paint mixer that holds a five gallon bucket so I tossed in a coffee can full of 45 acp and about a gallon of the Lemi-shine mix and let it tumble for about half hour ,.. amazing.
Works very well on the brass thats been exposed for a long time outside .... the "olive drab stain"..
cleans it up very nicely .
Did an experiment earlier with a bunch on 9 mm brass(from my current collection) and three shells I found out in the desert near a military base ...think they are fifty cal , big ones (turns out they are probably 20 mm, thanks for the input guy's)but having been out laying in the elements for years .... green, corroded rust caked on , probably been there since the war ....
Washed the nine's for a while till they looked decent then threw the big ones in the same batch and tumbled for an hour.
Between the Lemi-shine and the 9mm brass tumbling , the big ones came out really nice , mind you they still had all the corrosion pits and dents but was impressed how the citric acid solution worked !
Just have to stock up on some more of that Lemi-shine now ......

digger

RP
01-30-2011, 12:58 AM
Been looking for this lemi shine and cant seem to find it. I wonder if a rinse agent will work the same?

waksupi
01-30-2011, 01:13 AM
The Lemon Shine works good for me.
I have some stuff called Jolt, by Griffin Bros., that I got from a janitor supply place, to clean up after butchering. It seems to work even better for cutting dirt and lube from the cases, if not make them as shiny.

Digger
01-30-2011, 01:21 AM
Was looking for quite a while my self , looked in Wally world here but no luck but found it locally in a Smith's grocery store.
It is a dish washer additive , for hard water , mineral deposits treatment , very high citric acid concentrate.
Just looked online and Amazon.com has it also.
Okay, everybody likes pictures ....that's one of my 38 special reloads in the middle ...:razz: , bit of contrast

a.squibload
02-01-2011, 01:37 AM
http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=citric&affiliate_pro_tracking_id=17:36:

Digger
02-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Thank's a.squibload for the link .... looks like a good source ,

a.squibload
02-05-2011, 02:32 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83572&page=20

Someone just posted an ebay link,
check post 399 in the citric acid sticky thread, about $5 / lb.

You can get it for less than $3 / lb from Dudadiesel if you buy 50 lbs
in a bucket.
$97 + shipping.
Don't think I can use that much yet!

mold maker
02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Dudadiesel Is the source I used and It was $3./# delivered. It's 100% pure food grade. I think 10 lbs was the least amount that got free shipping.
Since we need so little I've sold half, and got most of my money back. I still have nearly half a gal.
It was also mentioned that you can dip a piece of clean iron in it, (when it starts to turn blue) and it will plate the copper back out, and leave it useful again. I haven't tried that, but it sounds possible.

pls1911
02-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I'm late to this party....what's the process here??

Digger
02-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Been talking about the brass cleaning process that we all have to do at one time or another ....
As in the sticky in this forum and in this thread we mention using a citric acid base washing solution instead of some other that are available out there , like the popular vinegar type ....
Some of the members here have been using it for quite a while now and it seems to be picking up in popularity as it seems to be a little more efficient overall .
For some of us it has worked out picking it up in bulk and I have been one of the lucky ones to find a solution on the grocery store shelf called Lemi-shine , a dish washer additive , works great for me so far as it has a high concentration of the citric acid base ....

digger

Spector
02-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I found some Lemi Shine at the local Wal-Mart. It seemed to clean cases pretty well. At least a little better than vinegar, but I may have mixed it a little weak. How much LemiShine do you guys mix to a gallon of water?

I noticed that Bass Pro has citric acid in plastic pouches too I think it was in the spices section with sausage seasonings. Less than $4 if I remember correctly.........Mike

Armorer
02-07-2011, 10:47 PM
Does it HAVE to be tumbled for the Lemi-shine to work? Or is it possible to let it soak in a bucket of the solution. I recently came up with some range brass that has seen a good portion of Texas weather and I want to try and get it looking good again. At least reasonably good anyway.

onesonek
02-12-2011, 09:11 AM
http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=citric&affiliate_pro_tracking_id=17:36:

I can get it to all here in the US that are interested for my cost plus shipping, (FRB) to you at $2.55 /lb on 20 lb lots or $3.10/lb on 10lb lots. 25lbs may fit in the $10.95 FRB making it $2.44/ lb. I just found a good deal on 50lb bags @ $2.00 /lb. from a local supplier and willing to spread the savings around if there is any interest.

RP
02-12-2011, 11:09 AM
Well I looked around for awhile could not find any. So I tried just some dishwasher additive which worked fine. The brand I tried was Jet Dry so i think the knock off brand should work fine. Just a heads up.

charlie3tuna
02-12-2011, 05:37 PM
I would want 20# charlie

a.squibload
02-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Sorry about the delay...

I haven't used Lemishine but citric acid is about the same.
I think it's 2 tablespoons per gallon of very hot tap water,
plastic container.
Drop the brass in, doesn't hurt to mix it around a little.
Soak 10 or 15 min. then rinse the brass with water.
Tumble the brass a little after that if you like.

Can re-use the solution until it gets weak.
Mine grew a "mother" in it like vinegar, wasn't sure so poured it out.

bowfin
05-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Off topic, but Lemi-shine is great for cleaning up a piece of Iron Pyrite (fool's gold) by dissolving the grayish rock encrusted on it and exposing the gleaming nugget. My son is a rock hound, and on a whim we tried it on a few somewhat boring pieces, transforming them into eyecatching specimens.

cajun shooter
05-06-2011, 10:52 AM
My wife found the Lemi-Shine at Wal-Mart in the carpet cleaner section. She notified the store and they moved it to the dishwasher products. You may go to any Wal-Mart and tell them what you want and they will bring it in from another store. It cleaned my BP cases with the ceramic brighter than new.

zuke
05-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Is there any way to get the Walmart skew number?
It'll make it a lot easier to trace in their system without any mixup's.

bowfin
05-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Our Wal-Mart never has it, although they supposedly "stock" it. We asked the local grocery store chain, and they now stock it for a little bit higher price. Then again, it costs to keep making dry runs out to Wal-Mart.

zuke
05-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I know Canadian Tire up here in Canada has it, but I can't find it in Walmart.

Moonie
05-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I just tried the lemi-shine over the weekend. I have been using just the vinegar solution for a good while. I received a tumbler last week as well.

So the procedure I used was 15 minutes in lemi-shine 2 Tbs/gallon then 2 hours in the new tumbler with nufinish.

I'm now in search of a seeing eye dog as when I opened the tumbler in the bright sunlight on my back porch I was blinded...
:awesome: :holysheep

Digger
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I just tried the lemi-shine over the weekend. I have been using just the vinegar solution for a good while. I received a tumbler last week as well.

So the procedure I used was 15 minutes in lemi-shine 2 Tbs/gallon then 2 hours in the new tumbler with nufinish.

I'm now in search of a seeing eye dog as when I opened the tumbler in the bright sunlight on my back porch I was blinded...
:awesome: :holysheep

Wow ! now that is a testimonial !