PDA

View Full Version : gas station guy

adrians
01-29-2011, 10:46 AM
went to get some gas yesterday and this guy saw my cast boolits bumper sticker and said "you cast your own ?" i said "yer" and he came back with "i don't like those lead boolits they fill up ya grooves with lead" i said 'not if you do it right".
and he shut up!.
i don't have much time for uneducated, ignorant people who always want to tell you something they know nothing about,.
anyway yaaallll have a great day .adrians :twisted:[smilie=b::evil:

NHlever
01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
And you didn't use that talk to get some wheel weights? :D

Jim
01-29-2011, 11:08 AM
It has been my experience that arguing with those that think otherwise is a complete waste of time, effort and energy. The results equate to that of telling a man his name is not what it is. I simply respond with "I understand" and let it go at that.
I have found, however, that when someone sincerely asks "Will you show me how?", it is a most rewarding experience. E.G., Caleb and Jarrett.

HeavyMetal
01-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Some people can't be taught, because they know it all, but yes I think you missed an opertunity to get some lead and, maybe, expand someones mind.

TCLouis
01-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Kinda like arguing with the "eggspurt" on the firing line about some nitnoid issue.

OR

Like teaching a pig to sing.

Course you could removed all of his lead to protect his barrel because, "If you are close to lead and then handle a firearm it gets in the barrel and cruds it up."

theperfessor
01-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Rather than argue with the ignorant in ANY subject, I either quietly walk away or let out a good, rip-roaring belly laugh. The laugh, if done right, often is more effective in pointing up the ignorance of the person's assertions and it makes me feel better.

mooman76
01-29-2011, 11:45 AM
He may not have argued. Some people are just mislead and don't know better.

Charlie Sometimes
01-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Unless we are not getting the whole story/picture, you missed at least TWO good opportunities. :groner:

Maybe, since he was inquisitive enough to ask, he wanted to be "shown the way", and you just pushed him aside.
How many potential "converts" to the "religion" have we lost like this?
AND he could have been a great source of WW, but you blew that chance totally out of the water, by being obtuse, obstinate, and crass toward him.

Might have even have become a new shooting buddy, or another spot to hunt, etc.
The list could be endless. :sad:

Do not feel superior- you had to start somewhere, too, and that for most people, is usually found to be knowing zero about the truth, too.

Guesser
01-29-2011, 12:29 PM
"expert" once had it defined to me as a "drip under pressure". It spurts and becomes "ex"

steg
01-29-2011, 12:34 PM
+1 with jim, but in truth it's hard to bring someone around after they've been brainwashed, or worse if they have experienced bad leading, by doing it all wrong in the first place. If their not smart a$$ about it, I'll just ask them if they own a 22, and if they ever experienced leading when using unplated boolits, it really catches them off guard.

home in oz
01-29-2011, 12:47 PM
It is good to say, "Oh," to such people.

Uncle R.
01-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Yeah - some are blowhards but some just don't know. It's true that you waste your time to argue with the blowhards and it makes you look foolish as well. When someone makes those ignorant proclamations I'll usually reply "I've heard that too but it hasn't been my experience" and then see how they respond. If they genuinely want to learn they'll ask questions - if they become confrontational or more strident I'll let the matter drop and go on with my business.

mpmarty
01-29-2011, 01:24 PM
It's amazing the converts I get at the range. Shoot a nice 3/4" group with the cast boolits showing in your ammo box and questions get asked. When I'm done shooting my fifty rounds I take the rifle to the bench and run a patch through it. Folks come by to see how "bad" the leading is and I let them look through the bore. JPW and LLA keep it shiny and bright.

I've got thousands of rounds of Portugese 762 Nato that the Savage bolt gun will never see. It only shoots boolits. My 762 AK on the other hand doesn't care, it shoots them all.

mooman76
01-29-2011, 01:50 PM
Since we weren't their we could really be taking the whole thing out of context but it seems to me if he was looking to argue he would have kept on rather than shutting up. I get allot of people at work that make comments similar to that and I aways tell that if done right there is no leading. Most are willing to listen to my reasoning and only a few will stick to their original statement so I let them go as they don't know what they are missing out on.

klcarroll
01-29-2011, 02:25 PM
I'd much rather argue with another shooter about the merits of Boolits than argue with an idiot who thinks my guns should be outlawed!

Kent

c3d4b2
01-29-2011, 02:33 PM
"i don't like those lead boolits they fill up ya grooves with lead"

The answer is they are all right if you know the secrets. ;)

NSP64
01-29-2011, 02:38 PM
I think adrians did right, more lead for the rest of us.:drinks:

Hardcast416taylor
01-29-2011, 06:24 PM
I`ve tried to explain about bullet casting, loading and shooting to people that are actually interested. However, of late, I`m encountering people that will listen for a short while then sneak in the question"You have many guns"? My response usually is "Do you mean beyond my concealed carry"? Amazing how they loose interest when I draw my jacket back and my M 36 grip says "hello".Robert

fatelk
01-29-2011, 06:51 PM
A friend of mine had no interest in lead bullets because he said he and his buddy 20 years ago bought some 9mm cast bullets in bulk and spent a whole afternoon scraping lead out of their barrels. As a result he couldn't understand why anyone even bothered with them.

I explained to him that if you do it right they work fine. He listened and seemed interested, but still refused to shoot any through his guns.

montana_charlie
01-29-2011, 07:13 PM
I explained to him that if you do it right they work fine. He listened and seemed interested, but still refused to shoot any through his guns.
Spending a long time getting lead out is a 'lesson' that is hard to unlearn. But, if he was allowed to shoot some through your gun...and see how slick it works...he might be willing to try it in his own, again.

It's not a big deal, though...more lead for you.

The only thing that would make it a big deal is if we could convert so many that we could stop local, State, and Federal governments from trying to eliminate lead from the 'environment'.

CM

KCSO
01-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Mostly I try and follow my Grandfathers advise,"never argue with a *******, folk might not be able to tell the difference". Sot of like the fellows who knock down their deer, flipped him clear over the fence!

oksmle
01-30-2011, 12:55 AM
I have had this happen (because of my Cast Boolit sticker) twice within the past two months. In both cases I replied that, "I own over 50 firearms & haven't fired anything but cast boolits since 1973 in them." The first gent simply shut up & walked away. The second went in the coffee shop with me & I spent over an hour with him (on his dollar) & had what I hope for him was a very enlightening conversation.

white eagle
01-30-2011, 10:20 AM
can't win talkin to a loser

Echo
01-30-2011, 10:39 AM
I use the OP's method. A smile, and "Not if you do it right". If he asks what 'doing it right' is, I might have him hooked. Maybe not...

captaint
01-30-2011, 01:06 PM
I have a confession.... 25 years ago I was the guy in the gas station. Couldn't imagine why somebody would want to go to the trouble to cast boolits and then have to scrub it all out of your barrel. I never questioned anybody about it - I just knew it because somebody who said he knew the deal said so. Young and dumb. Live and learn.... enjoy Mike

Harter66
01-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Umm gas station guy is right.
I thought the idea was to in fact fill them up tight.
If ya fill them up right it don't stick,then we get to shoot our full tilt .357s for $6 a box instead of $20+ .

Some of them won't ever come around. I've got this friend from grade school I've done everything but take his gun and shoot the loads for him,he won't budge. He's only shot 6 "home" cast boolits in36 years we've been kicking around, one 3 shot group in each of his MLers then he went to the store and bought sabots and xtps to hunt with because he wasn't sure those maxi balls would do it if he had to shoot 150 yards.

Charlie Sometimes
01-31-2011, 12:11 PM
can't win talkin to a loser

WHO is that, and WHY would you use that term? :confused:

LOSER because they assume something based on misinformation or have never been shown the proper methods, or because of the job they do? Everybody needs a job, and every job needs done by someone. Right now, his job is looking pretty good to a lot of people, and it won't be long before some of you may wish you had it. I'm getting real close- although making pizzas would be better- free leftovers! :grin:

If you go to the trouble, like Harter66 has, and still not punched through their thick skull, then I would give up at that point. :sad: THEN and only then, it is their loss, and OUR gain. :smile:

This sounds to me like most of you are giving up before the conversation starts- maybe you are in a hurry, something is urgently demanding your attention elsewhere. Or maybe you're insecure about what you think you know, and by advertising that sticker, and getting called on it, it causes you discomfort when they ask a question you just might not be able to answer? So you shut them out or down, hard and fast. :confused:

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked- that would be their fault IF they didn't ask. :evil: BUT, some go to the trouble to initiate a conversation about it. Now, I thought that is one of the reasons it is put out there for ALL to see- to stimulate thought and conversation about something you believe in and enjoy doing. :grin:

If that opportunity presents itself, you should encourage them, and let them bounce questions off you, and you might find out you know more than you thought, if that is the case. [smilie=w:

Just like the "Take a kid hunting or shooting." program- this is the same thing. Man up if you want to change the status quo, help fellow shooters see the light, and keep the lead flowing out of the mines and refineries.
If you don't, then take the sticker off- no one will bother you after that, and you won't be inconvenienced anymore. :popcorn:

bowfin
01-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Nobody will ever know any better unless they are set straight. One never knows what good turn will be repaid and in what manner, even if it is only showing a little friendliness and forbearance:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=105371

I hope for your sake that the guy at the gas station wasn't this neighbor's friend, with a pile of 10 lb. ingots sitting around.