PDA

View Full Version : new lee trimmer and puller

edsmith
01-28-2011, 11:26 PM
has any one seen the new lee case trimmer and bullet trimmer? looks good

onondaga
01-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Please provide a link to what you are talking about. I see nothing new at the Lee site.

gary

edsmith
01-29-2011, 01:03 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzNTuQuebvs

01-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Seems like the trimmings would fall back into the case or make a mess all over the press. I'll continue to use Lee's regular case trimmer.

stubshaft
01-29-2011, 01:41 AM
I'll keep my forster.

Recluse
01-29-2011, 01:48 AM
has any one seen the new lee case trimmer and bullet trimmer? looks good

I think you meant to type "bullet puller" rather than trimmer. :)

Both are neat, but that bullet puller is just flat SLICK.

As far as shavings falling back into the cartridge, I always hit my trimmed and chamfered cartridges with compressed air.

The engineering agility of John and Richard Lee never ceases to amaze me.

:coffee:

geargnasher
01-29-2011, 02:18 AM
Yes, that puller was pretty slick. Now look what a good ol' Texas Hillbilly can do with a little ingenuity and some of Richard Lee's products: A case prep center for less than fifteen bucks. Note the addition of a handle and knob to assist snugging the shellholder and the flexible rubber hose that holds the cutter firmly but allows for a little runout or wobble. I trimmed, outside/inside deburred and neck brushed 300 .45 Colt cases in less than 30 minutes last weekend with this setup.

Gear

onondaga
01-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Thank you very much for the link!

Fascinating stuff. I'd sure like to know how that bullet puller works. The seat and crimp die looks great, The adjustable trimmer will answer the preference of many to have an adjustable length trimmer from Lee.

These looklike new R&D projects from Lee and the speaker said they will SOON be available.

This looks like a bunch of good innovation and good news to me.

Gary

crabo
01-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes, that puller was pretty slick. Now look what a good ol' Texas Hillbilly can do with a little ingenuity and some of Richard Lee's products: A case prep center for less than fifteen bucks. Note the addition of a handle and knob to assist snugging the shellholder and the flexible rubber hose that holds the cutter firmly but allows for a little runout or wobble. I trimmed, outside/inside deburred and neck brushed 300 .45 Colt cases in less than 30 minutes last weekend with this setup.

Gear

Gear, I like your prep station. I use a different method to trim cases using the Lee trimmer for pistol cases. I made a handle for holding my cases as I trim them in the drill press. I then have to inside and outside deburr them by hand while still in the holder. This goes pretty fast, but I think your setup would be a whole lot quicker since it is all done with power.

What are you using to chamfer the inside and outside of the cases? I can't see them since they are buried in the wood. You should do a pictorial for people on your prep station.

RayinNH
01-29-2011, 11:04 AM
462, look at the video again. After he gets done trimming the case, you can see him empty it. Somehow the trimmings are funneled into the case...Ray

skeet1
01-29-2011, 11:25 AM
It appears that Lee is always a step ahead of the others in design.

Skeet1

geargnasher
01-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Crabo, I'm using the "El Cheapo" Lee deburring thimbles for outside and inside deburring, your know, the ones that aren't good for anything but work GREAT under power. I had a couple of extras from kits I've purchased and they were just lying around. The procedure goes like this, drill is in low gear and trigger wide open for about 90rpm:

1. Chuck case in drill, pull lever (with brass knurled knob) tight, insert case over trimmer, hit trigger and push gently until shavings quit spewing out.

2. While still holding trigger, pull case off of trimmer and just "touch" in the next hole to the left for a quick outside debur, then continue to the inside debur.

3. Run case over brush if desired.

The station that holds the brush has a cut-off cleaning rod for a holder, I was thinking about just mounting a 1/4"x1" steel plate about 6" long across the front and drilling/tapping the #8-32 (or what ever they are) holes in a row so you could use Lyman or RCBS deburring cutters like the VLD, but for a first model I just used what extras I had on hand.

I have used a drill press too, but ruined a pilot after a while wearing the tip down, dadgum thing just spins too fast even on the highest belt reduction setting.

Gear

timbuck
01-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Fascinating stuff. I'd sure like to know how that bullet puller works. The seat and crimp die looks great, The adjustable trimmer will answer the preference of many to have an adjustable length trimmer from Lee.

Just a guess;

Imagine a collet that is slightly smaller than the bullet. The bullet is raised into the collet. When the bullet is lowered, the collet will wedge and grip the bullet and pull it out. The next bullet is put in and pushes out the removed bullet and the process starts over.

01-29-2011, 12:23 PM
462, look at the video again. After he gets done trimming the case, you can see him empty it. Somehow the trimmings are funneled into the case...Ray

Yes, it was late in my day and didn't watch the entire video.

WILCO
01-29-2011, 12:53 PM
The engineering agility of John and Richard Lee never ceases to amaze me.

Ditto for me. Great stuff at great prices too. :grin:

truckmsl
01-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Gear -Is that lever/knob threaded into the shell holder? I wonder if the Lee three jaw chuck would work as well for a set up like that.

Recluse
01-29-2011, 01:52 PM
I have used a drill press too, but ruined a pilot after a while wearing the tip down, dadgum thing just spins too fast even on the highest belt reduction setting.

Gear

Five/six years ago, I bought a drill press from Harbor Freight for some ridiculously low sale price. Think I gave something like $39 for it. I has enough belt adjustments that I can slow the rpms down WAY slow.

In addition, I bought Lee's 3-jaw chuck to use which keeps stress off the pilot and eliminates any spinning or turning it may be prone to do due to torque.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/The1Recluse/CaseTrimSetup.jpg

http://usera.ImageCave.com/The1Recluse/CaseTrimSetup1.jpg

I keep chamfer tools and primer pocket cleaners and flash-hole deburrers and all that stuff right next to the drill press when I'm doing case-prep (something I hate doing--worst part of reloading, if you ask me).

:coffee:

geargnasher
01-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Well dang! I never heard of Lee's three-jaw chuck, is that some sort of universal shell holder, must be that rock I live under!

I drilled and tapped for 10-32 machine bolts and Loctited them into the lock rings, my fingers get worn out gripping that little ring and getting it tight enough for power trimming, so the extra leverage is a must for me. Looks like the univeral chuck is even better, I'll have to check into that.

Gear

crabo
01-30-2011, 01:26 AM
When I use my drill press to trim, I chuck up the cutter and bring the brass to it in my holder. While it is still in the holder, I deburr it by hand, then install another case. It goes pretty fast... but not as fast as I think Gear's would.

onondaga
01-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Lee 3 Jaw Chuck:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=352653

I really like this, it is an optional chuck available for the Lee Zip Trim. It works with any cartridge and stays on my Zip Trim because I use it for all of my brass .25ACP -. 458 Win Mag. It needs an air blow out and light oiling once and a while but performs very well and centers up brass well. Never noticed it leaving any marks either.

Gary

tackstrp
02-01-2011, 09:13 PM
interesting about triming with three jaw chuck. I only load 380 9mm, 40 s&W , 10mm . and have been setting aside any brass that does not seat properly in my Wilson max over length gauge, before i load. Easy to do, if dont seat all the way, is to long.
Doing this i avoid problems at the range. After seeing the discussions above, I will try triming some.

steve in kc
02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Any word when these products will be available? I tried calling LEE but it was busy (I know, shocker!)

steve in kc
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Any word when these products will be available? I tried calling LEE but it was busy (I know, shocker!)

I got through to LEE this morning.

Neither the puller or trimmer will be out until early next year (2012).

max range
02-01-2013, 12:36 AM
Nothing as of early 2013 either. Unless I am missing it on Lee's web site.

Bad Water Bill
02-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Well I watched the video THEN I read the dates on some of the reviews. One read STARTED 5 YEARS AGO.

Must be some big problems somewhere.

429421Cowboy
02-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Both seem to be pretty neat ideas, some Lee stuff scares the snot outta me, then other things they do just beat the fancy stuff up one side and down the other when you're on a budget, plus you don't feel bad when you get crafty like Gear and do some performance mods.

Would love to know when or if we'll ever see it, as Bill said, seems like some folks have been waiting awhile for this one!