PDA

View Full Version : Which Alloy To Use..????

sargeny1
11-08-2006, 11:48 AM
HI ALL...AM new to this wonderful forum and am ready to start casting Keith Bullets in 357 41 & 44 Mag....Have everything except bullet metal...I am NOT looking for chamber-breaking heavy loads...just 1100 to 1300 fps in these calibers...Have read in handloader magazine to use 1-16 and 1-20 ...and for the HIGHEST velocity Lyman #2 will suffice....Will use the loads for deer hunting...Longest shot I anticipate is 75yds..and that is stretching it...and will keep the loads reasonnable in the interest of weapon longevity...
What say ye learned gentlemen..???
Thanks..
Pete

felix
11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Straight wheel weights should suffice for what you want. Just make sure the boolits are large enough in diameter, the size needed for some minor effort to push a boolit through the smallest cylinder per caliber. ... felix

Char-Gar
11-08-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree in theory with Felix that straight air cooled wheelweight will do all you need. However, in some pistols with less than perfect barrel, I start to get more leading that I like with ACWW past about 1.1K fps.

Good old Lyman No 2 is as close to an all purpose alloy as you can get. It is not to hard to shoot at moderate velocities/pressure and is hard enough to shoot at full snort magnum speeds and pressures.

The downside to No. 2 is it is more costly than WW. But, it will be less costly then those binary alloys of lead and tin.

About the only real use for those binary alloys is for cast hollow point bullets. Good ol 1-20 is just the ticket for those at 1 to 1.5K fps hollow point loads.

sargeny1
11-08-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks GUYS....I'll try the Lyman #2 first....NOW....to get serious....WHAT LUBE..??? traditional AOLX Lubes or one of those new high spped lubes you need the heater on the lubisizer to apply..????
THANKS AGAIN....
Pete

charger 1
11-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Thanks GUYS....I'll try the Lyman #2 first....NOW....to get serious....WHAT LUBE..??? traditional AOLX Lubes or one of those new high spped lubes you need the heater on the lubisizer to apply..????
THANKS AGAIN....
Pete

Not had much to do with pistol,but I've personally fallen in love with lyman super moly. Dont need no fancy stuff,and should you decide to use the sizer for anything faster than say 1.145Kfps LOL its already in there. I like it cause its like the old 22 rimfire when you use it. Never clean