PDA

View Full Version : Egg sinkers for slugging

Jim
01-28-2011, 12:22 PM
I photographed some common size egg sinkers that could be used for slugging. The sinkers are shown in a caliper for diameter. The photos are on my site, HERE. (http://fgsp.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/egg-sinker-weights-diameters/)

Southern Son
01-29-2011, 04:55 AM
I don't think that I would be gaime to slug my bores with the sinkers we have in Australia, I think that lead in only a minor part of whatever alloy they use. I have cast pure WW boolits that are easier to mark with a thubnial than the sinkers they sell over here.

Land Owner
01-30-2011, 08:09 AM
Definitely a clear way to show photographs. Very nice.

What is the "Rule of Thumb" for over bore diameter above which, by caliber, it would be unwise to "force" that much lead through the muzzle of a gun?

unclebill
01-30-2011, 08:40 AM
I don't think that I would be gaime to slug my bores with the sinkers we have in Australia, I think that lead in only a minor part of whatever alloy they use. I have cast pure WW boolits that are easier to mark with a thubnial than the sinkers they sell over here.

most of the sinkers for sale here in colorado are REALLY hard.
and so they are useless for slugging bbls.

NVcurmudgeon
01-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Every few years I melt a pot of tape-on WW, which are pure or nearly pure lead. Then I cast some bullets from a variety of moulds in several calibers. No need to warm up the mould; "raisins" are plenty good for slugging as long as the slug is bigger than the groove diameter.

firefly1957
01-30-2011, 03:56 PM
I save some of my reject bullets to use a egg sinkers they are only tapered on one end but work fine. just chuck them in mini lathe and bore a hole in them quick but go slow lead does not act like other metals.
The stores around here are getting more brass sinkers than lead they cost way to much.

Gelandangan
01-30-2011, 04:19 PM
in a pinch, you can pull a few .22LR bullets to form the slug.
the bullets are usually made of soft lead, very suitable for slugging barrels.

MT Gianni
01-30-2011, 07:58 PM
most of the sinkers for sale here in colorado are REALLY hard.
and so they are useless for slugging bbls.

It's been a few years ago but South Bend brand sinkers used to be pure PB.

Jim
02-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I took down the post on my site of the photos. I got a request to repost them, so they are back up.