PDA

View Full Version : New Mk III!!

Potsy
01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Stopped by a gun store I hadn't been in for years the other night. Found a Ruger Mk III like I've wanted for the last 20 years or so (5-1/2" Bull Barrell, Blued).
Dickered for a few minutes. Walked out with it.
Hoping to shoot it a little today.
Trigger feels kinda nasty compared to what I'm used to. Therefore, a Volquartsen kit is in it's immediate future. Yes, I know they are a mother to install.
If it shoots as well as the Mk II's I've played with through the years, I'll be a happy camper!

If anyone has any advice on these units, I'm all ears!!

Potsy

lead Foot
01-28-2011, 04:30 PM
I bought new one a few months ago. It was a stainless comp model. Like you say the trigger is a bit nasty. I like the idea of a replacement trigger. It's a great gun ~ had no broblem with it at all. I feed it CCI standard velocity ammo ~ never had jam up. I had a few broblems with Winchester power point. The chamber seems a bit tight for it.
Good luck
Lead foot;

Gunsmoke4570
01-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Try the Federal Auto Match. Walmart sells it in a 375 round box. Very accurate in my Buckmark and my brother-in-laws's MkIIIs and isn't a whole lot more than the milk carton stuff.

rayzer
01-29-2011, 09:58 AM
I had problems with my MK.3 jamming, it would jam at least 3 times per mag. until I removed the loaded chamber indicator. Now it will eat any type of ammo, without jamming.

Potsy
01-29-2011, 10:52 AM
I finally took it to the range yesterday. Had one misfeed when cocking it.
Had some misfires, but I think it was an ammo issue, I picked up those that hadn't fired and ran them through again, a couple still failed to fire.
Groups were (very informally sandbagged) in the 2"-3" range @ 25 yards.
The gun was close to on to begin with and sights came right into line with no issues.
I'll be ordering a Volquartsen kit this weekend. I like the pistol, but it currently has the title of "Worst Trigger Residing At Potsy's" award.

wonderwolf
01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
I got my Mk III about a year ago new, bull barrel 5.5" set up like what you have. Federal bulk pack ammo and I've never had a misfire, FTF or FTE. I've been splitting playing cards with it at 30' on a regular basis every Friday night I can.

The trigger on mine is great, the only issue I've had with mine is the mags hang up sometimes when I go to seat them and the bolt release button could be a little more stocky.

Char-Gar
01-30-2011, 01:20 PM
I shoot in a long standing 22 falling plate pistol match on Saturday morning. Rugers are a very popular handgun. I use a pair of MKIIs. One is a custom race gun from Clark and the other stock with a Volquartsen kit. The pistol with the Volquartsen kit has just as nice a trigger pull and the Clark custom.

While you are ordering a Volquarten kit, throw in one of the extractors as they have twice the bite area as the stamped factory Ruger. If you are shooting in a timed event the slip on Volquartsen compensator will reduce the muzzle jump which can be a benefit if split seconds count.

Throw away that MkIII loaded chamber indicator as far as you can pitch it. It causes all sorts of feeding and ejection problems.

The Ruger 22 autopistols are fine handguns that with a little modification can be track drivers. I have a Douglas barrel on my Clark, but the factory barrel is plenty good except for the most demanding shooting.

With the low end Mart-Mart ammo, we have far better luck with Federal. They produce far less puffers and failure to fires than Remington and Winchester, though there are a few. If an unfired round lands on the ground, don't pick it up and try and shoot it again. The outside lubed bullet can pick up some micro-grit that will damage you barrel.

357maximum
01-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know?

Will Ruger sell a "lower" grip frame to a non-dealer?

I have the MKII 22/45 target with the 5.5 inch bull barrel and the somewhat cheesy molded in pseudo 1911 looking grips and would like one of the newer grip frames with the removeable 1911 type panels. It is a really accurate pistol but my paws are a bit large for the grip. If they will not I will likely just mill the exisiting "panels" out and install my own 1911 finger grooved wraparounds.

captaint
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Max - If you look around on Rimfire Central you will likely find a grip frame for your Ruger. Also, a lot of other GREAT info there on rimfires in general. enjoy Mike

Frozone
01-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Does anyone know?

Will Ruger sell a "lower" grip frame to a non-dealer?

I have the MKII 22/45 target with the 5.5 inch bull barrel and the somewhat cheesy molded in pseudo 1911 looking grips and would like one of the newer grip frames with the removeable 1911 type panels. It is a really accurate pistol but my paws are a bit large for the grip. If they will not I will likely just mill the exisiting "panels" out and install my own 1911 finger grooved wraparounds.

No they won't. But, There is a guy who makes (made) replacement grips for the 22/45 III. They use 1911 grip screws or you can just 'glue' them on, no modification required. I have a set on my 22/45 and it makes it feel just like a 1911. See them at Rimfirecentral (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273560)

That Mag drop problem is related to the magazine 'safety' ClarkCustom makes a replacement bushing to remove the mag interlock.

357maximum
01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
My markII 22/45 target has no mag safety btw.

My gripframe just needs the raised pseudo 1911 panels milled down while "coloring" within the lines and some grip bushings installed. It will likely happen the next time I get close to a mill. I just put some skateboard tape on the front strap and the rear smooth spots on the sides to get me by for now and it is alot better than it was.

Baldy
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Stopped by a gun store I hadn't been in for years the other night. Found a Ruger Mk III like I've wanted for the last 20 years or so (5-1/2" Bull Barrell, Blued).
Dickered for a few minutes. Walked out with it.
Hoping to shoot it a little today.
Trigger feels kinda nasty compared to what I'm used to. Therefore, a Volquartsen kit is in it's immediate future. Yes, I know they are a mother to install.
If it shoots as well as the Mk II's I've played with through the years, I'll be a happy camper!

If anyone has any advice on these units, I'm all ears!!

Potsy

Here's a few things I did to mine.
1. Take the LCI out and remove the spring and little metal tab. I then put the LCI arm back in. You can leave it out altogether if you wish.
2. Get a hammer bushing and pin from Clark for the MK-II. (this is not a misprint.)
3. Get a Vorquartsen trigger,spring, plunger. You want the one with the pre-travel and over travel screws.
4. Go here to see how to do it. http://guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm
5. It's not that hard to do and it will make all the difference in the world in your pistol. Good luck.:drinks:

Mallard57
02-02-2011, 12:14 AM
While you are ordering a Volquarten kit, throw in one of the extractors as they have twice the bite area as the stamped factory Ruger. If you are shooting in a timed event the slip on Volquartsen compensator will reduce the muzzle jump which can be a benefit if split seconds count.
+1
Mallard57

Multigunner
02-02-2011, 02:33 AM
I had a ruger many years ago, and was pleased to find it would feed .22 shorts as long as I loaded no more than six rounds in the magazine.
I wonder if they ever marketed a magazine properly proportioned for the .22 short?
My ruger was far more accurate with the shorts than with the long rifle cartridge.