PDA

View Full Version : case filler ?

adrians
01-28-2011, 08:12 AM
hi i have heard about dacron filler ,now my question is ,my dog paddy tore up my grandaughters fish and its "guts were all over the place ,but can i use this filler in my 45.70 reduced loads for my trapdoor ,,,, yea or ney??? .
have a great day adrians. :twisted::confused::evil:

Jim
01-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Because the .45-70 case is a slightly tapered straight wall, it's very user friendly toward fillers. I've used whole cotton balls, wads of tissue, wads of saran wrap, corn meal, cream of wheat, coffe and even filled the case to the bottom of the bullet with really slow powder.
The object of the game is to keep the powder located against the flash hole so it doesn't "trough" in the case.
All of that being said, you should be fine with the "guts" of your daughter's dead fish. If possible(and it is), try for uniformity by putting the same amount of filler in each case. You can weigh each "charge" of filler on your scale to determine this.

x101airborne
01-28-2011, 04:54 PM
MMMhmm. Works just fine.

Walter Laich
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
I read where a shooter was taking 1/4 of a single ply of toilet paper and pushing that down on top of the reduced load.

If fact got some 45-70 rounds all ready to go like this.

Will let you know tomorrow how they work.

FYI: these are supposed to be whisper loads--we'll see

walt

stubshaft
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
You can get pre-cut wads for the 45/70 from Circle-Fly.

Bullshop
01-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Pushing anything down on the powder and leaving a space between filler/wad and boolit/bullet base is a recipe for a ringed chamber.
When using a filler the entire space between top of powder and base of boolit/bullet should be filled to avoid chamber ringing.
Because Dacron has for quite some time been the recommended filler from Lyman, NRA, and other sources it seems to be the accepted norm. It works well as long as it is used as a filler and not a wad.
Personally I have for about 20 years now been using Styrofoam packing popcorn simple because it is free and always available in my shop.
It is about weightless so has little effect on raising pressure as COW will. It will not carry moisture and is easily compressible. It has worked very well for me if I have a situation where a filler may be needed to improve ignition.
The ringed chamber recipe is not hear say for me as many years ago I proved it the hard way.

T-Bird
01-28-2011, 10:07 PM
You can buy dacron in bags at wally world, or the equivalent, in the crafts area cheap. I bought some about 10 yrs ago in a bag the size of a pillow, I have barely scratched the surface. I use it in 45/70, 30/30/, 35 Rem. All with IMR 4198 at various charges and love it. It really stabilizes the velocities ( if you have a chronograph). In my hands and in my applications, the stable velocities do not always equal accuracy. It makes me feel good, and for the most part,the accuracy is better with the filler . Shoot Straight, T-Bird