PDA

View Full Version : Ballard rifling fps

charger 1
11-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I shhot a 95 marlin now in 45/70 and successfully get near 2100 with various cast,but I wonder where the limit is. I'm thinking of having one turned into a 450 AK. so it may see 400 gr cast doin 2300. I wonder if those scratches they call rifling will grab at that speed

Buckshot
11-08-2006, 03:34 AM
..............I would simply find out what Marlin suggests as their 'design' pressure is for the 336 action, and then NOT exceeding it. There are a couple companies around loading some pretty snazzy ammo for the 45-70 that is supposed to be safe in the Marlin. I don't believe there are any published pressures for it though.

............Buckshot

charger 1
11-08-2006, 05:37 AM
I'm not so much worried bout the pressures of the 95 action. I'm sure their every bit as good as the old 71's that were AK'd. I'm worried about those scratches they call rifling with higher speed

45 2.1
11-08-2006, 07:51 AM
I'm not so much worried bout the pressures of the 95 action. I'm sure their every bit as good as the old 71's that were AK'd. I'm worried about those scratches they call rifling with higher speed

From personal observation, I think the rifle will plain hurt you before those scratches give bad results. I've pushed some 300 to 385 gr. boolits at some obscene velocities in the dim past with no problems.

Bass Ackward
11-08-2006, 07:56 AM
Charger,

I think that you have enough experience with 45s now that you can see a difference in guns, calibers, and chamber dimensions, lead mixes, bullet designs and pressures. Just look at all the questions we get here. Some guys with the 444s can and report 2300 fps so it probably can be done. But I am sure that for everyone that reaches that level, one couldn't get there.

Your question can't be answered because of every variable your experience can let you think of. It holds in each case.... until it doesn't. Then that's the top for that combination.

Char-Gar
11-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Methinks your question is only semi-serious at best. Certainly the rifling will hold for 2.3K fps. Whether the load is accurate or not, depends on all the various cast bullet factors.

You are a grown man, but I want no part of loads like that in the Marlin 95. The recoil will be far beyond anything I want to mess with. I know one fellow who detached a retina in his eye shooting lesser loads than you are thinking about.

Masochism has never had much appeal to me, but I understand that are folks that really get off on such stuff. Whatever floats your boat!

charger 1
11-08-2006, 04:33 PM
Methinks your question is only semi-serious at best.

I beg to differ Sir,An 1895 left our local place of purchase en route to the smith who has the reamer on order aprox 2 hrs ago

StrawHat
11-08-2006, 10:28 PM
C1,

In your title you refer to Ballard rifling but in the body of the message you mention scratches. I thought Ballard rifling was deep grooves yet it sounds like you are refering to the old microgroove. How many "scratches" are in your barrel? This will help get an idea of how fast you can push a bullet which if I read it correct is your question.

charger 1
11-09-2006, 05:21 AM
C1,

In your title you refer to Ballard rifling but in the body of the message you mention scratches. I thought Ballard rifling was deep grooves yet it sounds like you are refering to the old microgroove. How many "scratches" are in your barrel? This will help get an idea of how fast you can push a bullet which if I read it correct is your question.

Sorry bout the mislead. I think of Marlins rifling as scratches not "DEEP CUT" as they would have you believe. I've seen deeper

Bass Ackward
11-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Sorry bout the mislead. I think of Marlins rifling as scratches not "DEEP CUT" as they would have you believe. I've seen deeper

Charger,

It may be a mute point anyway. You may need a heavier barrel than a factory Marlin. But if the rifling concerns, you and you want to spend the money for the mod, get what you .... want.

Personally I would have Ernie cut me an octogon for something like that. You are going to appreciate the weight. And if you want opens, I would consider a 26" barrel to boot. More velocity, with less pressure and a longer sight radius. Decide what bullet weight you want to focus on and then match a twist rate for it. The octogon would add to the mod.

Think about this a little. Doesn't have to be a hurry, does it?

Char-Gar
11-09-2006, 12:45 PM
Charger... I owe you something of an apology. I did not read your original post close enough and did not notice you wanted to rechamber the rifle to another round. I am not familiar with the round in question.

I will stand by my assertion that Marlin rifling will do for 2.3k fps.

I will also stand by my unwillingness to shoot a Marlin levergun that fires a 405 grain bullet 2.3K fps. The recoil is far, far to great for me. I can't think of anything fun or enjoyable about shooting such a load...but it does take all kinds of folks to make a complete world.

I wish you sucess and enjoyment with your new project.

Phil
11-09-2006, 01:23 PM
I also had a detached retina and I still think shooting heavy recoiling rifles had something to do with it. The fix for a detached retina is nothing I want to live through again so I'm permanently OFF anything that has severe recoil.

Cheers,

Phil

gzig5
11-09-2006, 03:39 PM
Charger,

It may be a mute point anyway.

BA,
I think that should be "moot".
I believe a mute is one who cannot speak. I wish they could put that in a bottle, I know a couple people who could use a drink of it...

Greg

9.3X62AL
11-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Charger--

I know very well what the limit is using the 45-70 or other fat rifle caliber at high velocity--ME. Those 45-70's really start to thump back at you when you send the heavier boolits they are capable of launching at higher speeds. Both the Marlin 95 and Ruger #1 are a little light for my taste when it comes to flooring the gas pedal. 405 grain Lees at 1300 FPS are an all-day load for me, but the Hornady 350's at circa 2000 FPS (been there/done that) were one of those things I can say that I've attempted--and see no need to repeat.

Everyone has differing reasons for pursuing a hobby or developing an interest. Economy is a large part of boolit casting, for sure--expanding your shooting volume while reducing the cost of doing so (yeah, RIGHT). My "motivator", if you will, is hunting. The target shooting I do is in pursuit of accuracy to refine hunting ammunition, though I'm becoming more of a target shooter by proxy through this effort. NOT better necessarily, just more frequent. In this spirit, I wish you every satisfaction from the success you achieve.

Ricochet
11-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I believe a mute is one who cannot speak.
Maybe it's a point we just don't want to talk about?

Bass Ackward
11-10-2006, 02:26 PM
BA,
I believe a mute is one who cannot speak. I wish they could put that in a bottle, I know a couple people who could use a drink of it...

Greg

Greg,

Danged if you ain't right. Such a shame huh? Why the other day I wrote "uze" for "use" the other day.

When I learned to spell, everything was done by memorization. And postin on this board ain't helpin. So aaaaaaaaaaaaa, when that starts ta go ..................

By the way Greg, do you have any relatives in California named Pat? :grin:

charger 1
11-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Geebus qwipes,,MUTE...You mean I'm hopin to build the biggest barker in the bush,yet it'll make no noise at all...Ok, help me, What kinda cannon can I build that won't be mute..If'n they comes a huntin my gwammer I is scwew'd