PDA

View Full Version : For Oklahoma Members

Dragoon 45
01-26-2011, 10:56 PM
State Senator Steve Russel intends to reintroduce an open carry bill into the legislature in the near future. From the news reports it appears to be modeled on the Arizona Law. A version of this legislation for CC permit holders only was passed last year but was vetoed by then Dem Gov Brad Henry. New Gov Mary Falin has indicated that she supports open carry. Time to contact your state legislators.

starmac
01-27-2011, 01:19 AM
This may be a dumb question, but instead of an open carry bill. Why don't they just repeal any law that says you can't carry.

Dragoon 45
01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
This may be a dumb question, but instead of an open carry bill. Why don't they just repeal any law that says you can't carry.

As I understand it, there is no state law preventing open carry, but also there is not a law permitting it either. Open carry is legal in most rural areas when hunting or working outside. There are however laws in most cities and towns against Open Carry. A state law permitting open carry would override all the municipal statutes against it.

Sen Russel also plans to introduce a law allowing carry on college campus's. Needless to say, all the state colleges and universities are up in arms over that. It is a wonder to me, how one of the most red states in the nation has one of the most liberal higher education systems at the same time.

Oklahoma generally gets a failing grade every year from the Gun Control nuts, but we still have a lot of work to do to cause those nuts to go bonkers. Alaska and Arizona are IIRC on the bottom of their lists, so Oklahoma has some work ahead to join them.

starmac
01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
That makes sense, like I said it was a dumb question. I wish them luck, but the way I understand is cities can extend the laws with there own, Hopefully it will be worded to where they can't.