PDA

View Full Version : Getting a varmint rifle and need a scope

tcrocker
01-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I've orded a CZ 550 Varmint in 308 with the walnut stock. And now I need to get myself a scope ,but I spent most of my money on the rifle and only have alittle less than $300 left over for a scope. So does eny one have an ideal on what would be the best scope I could get for the money I have left.:bigsmyl2:

docone31
01-26-2011, 07:40 PM
I like Barska scopes.
I got a bunch of 6-31 X 50 scopes at around 80$ each, not too bad. Just cannot run the variable all the way up. It gets hazy then.
So far, they have all survived the recoil.

dk17hmr
01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I picked up a Leupold 3-9 VX-II with turrets right before hunting season for $250. Take a look at Mueller scopes, I have a 4.5-14x with a 30mm Tube that is a really nice scope for well under $300.

Good optics pay for themselves in saved ammo.

mike in co
01-27-2011, 02:56 AM
spent as much on ths scope as on the rifle.....
you will never get the value of the rifle with a cheap scope....

what time of day will you be shooting...if just midday, they some older scopes real redfields as an example. will work fine...if early late..modern coatings work wonders.....

luepold...use even
burris
real redfield( not the marked stuff out of china)
look in pawn shops....online scope sales
optics planet has reasonable prices.....

i like 30mm tubes.....

mike in co

Bullshop Junior
01-27-2011, 04:14 AM
I am looking at a burris for my 30/06

warf73
01-27-2011, 06:26 AM
For what you have left I would get this one
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=746570 it's on sale till end of the month. Don't forget your mounts and rings which will add up to another $100 or close to it.

unclebill
01-27-2011, 06:46 AM
you might want to check out the mueller scopes.
great value and nice product.

songdog53
01-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Burris makes good scopes that will fit bill and they will give u extra few minutes hunting time in evening if planning on hunting with it.

koehn,jim
01-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Check Natchez supply and look at the factory re-furbished BSA scopes they come with a lifetime warranty and seem to hold up very well, and they are cheap.

EOD3
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
The Bushnell 3200 series scopes are pretty good scopes for the money. I have a couple of fixed 10X Mil-Dot scopes that I like a lot.

jhalcott
01-27-2011, 03:25 PM
I like the Barska IF I can't afford the Leupold's. I have several of both! Also a few Burris'. I only have ONE Simmons!

fishnbob
01-27-2011, 03:26 PM
That Simmons that warf73 mentioned is a good scope. I bought a used .204 Savage 110 that had one on it and it kicks @$$! Good clarity through the powers and the adjustable objective is spot on for yardage. Clicks move @ 1/4", if I do my part.

tcrocker
01-27-2011, 06:41 PM
I looked at Natchez and they do have some good prices BUT they don't sell to my state for some reason must be due to taxes I would think..

Check Natchez supply and look at the factory re-furbished BSA scopes they come with a lifetime warranty and seem to hold up very well, and they are cheap.

EOD3
01-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Try SWFA.com, they have some pretty good deals too.

warf73
01-28-2011, 05:17 AM
That Simmons that warf73 mentioned is a good scope. I bought a used .204 Savage 110 that had one on it and it kicks @$$! Good clarity through the powers and the adjustable objective is spot on for yardage. Clicks move @ 1/4", if I do my part.

I have one on my .204 Ruger Target and its a great scope for what I do.

Calamity Jake
01-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I have severial NIB and used scopes for sale.

Nikon and Simmons variable power with AO

Shoot me a PM we'll talk.

atr
01-28-2011, 11:54 AM
for under $300 you should look at the Mueller rifle scopes

45r
01-28-2011, 02:04 PM
leupold is what I'd get.They last forever and if they break they will fix them without a lot of hassle like some other brands.

unclebill
01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
you might want to check out the mueller scopes.
great value and nice product.

Try SWFA.com, they have some pretty good deals too.

for under $300 you should look at the Mueller rifle scopes

thats what i have on my .308 8.5x25

Lloyd Smale
01-28-2011, 08:26 PM
varmit guns are one place i dont skimp on optics. About any scope will focus well at 9x but when you get up to 12x or more it takes a good scope to give a sharp sight picture. More so on small targets.

EOD3
01-28-2011, 08:47 PM
varmit guns are one place i dont skimp on optics. About any scope will focus well at 9x but when you get up to 12x or more it takes a good scope to give a sharp sight picture. More so on small targets.

Right you are sir, that's why I use a semi-auto. If I pick the right "rabbit range", I can get two or three rounds in the air at one time. :kidding:

tcrocker
01-28-2011, 11:50 PM
How about the Falcon Menace Riflescopes? It's a 4-14x44 first focal plane ,rec mil dot. side parlex adjustment tactical/target turrents. seen them on SWFA going just shy of 400.. I realy like a mil dot rec once you know how to us them there great.

Dman4321
01-29-2011, 01:41 AM
How about Swift? I have a 6-24 power that is excellent! Check the website http://www.swift-sportoptics.com/
prices aren't terrible either

unclebill
01-29-2011, 07:25 AM
i love these type of threads.

luckily for us shooters(and photographers)
technology in optics has been leaping forward while prices plummet(comparatively).
what would have cost $1000 10 years ago goes for around $300 now.
that eraticator scope i mounted on my .308 has shocked my bench shooter pals with the quality
leupold and swarovski and the like arent the only game in town anymore.

BruceB
01-29-2011, 08:42 AM
There are "cheap"scopes, and there are "inexpensive" scopes. They are NOT necessarily the same thing. I've recently bought two new scopes which I consider to be great values for the money.

1.: 4.5-14.5X Pentax Pioneer I think the Pentax line is built by Burris. Whatever, this glass is mounted on my CZ HB .22-.250and it performs perfectly. For under $200, it's s great bargain.

2.: new-production Redfield *by Leupold)....2-7X, mounted on my daughter's Browning A-Bolt in 7mm-08...cost, $134 from my local store in Winnemucca.

In all respects, light transmission, holding zero, appeara
nce, consistent adjustments, I find these to be excellent.

tcrocker
01-29-2011, 10:34 PM
here's pic of the CZ I can't get over how nice the wood is.
http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/th_001-9.jpg (http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/?action=view&current=001-9.jpg)http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/th_002-10.jpg (http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/?action=view&current=002-10.jpg)http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/th_003-5.jpg (http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/?action=view&current=003-5.jpg)http://http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/th_005-5.jpg (http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/ss8/crockerthomas/?action=view&current=005-5.jpg)

DCM
02-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I've orded a CZ 550 Varmint in 308 with the walnut stock. And now I need to get myself a scope ,but I spent most of my money on the rifle and only have alittle less than $300 left over for a scope. So does eny one have an ideal on what would be the best scope I could get for the money I have left.:bigsmyl2:

What will you be using it for???

At what distances will you be shooting?

What light conditions?

Need more info to give an answer to what should work for you.

1Shirt
02-05-2011, 12:46 AM
I would advise getting the best scope that you can afford, and probably in a variable up to about 14x, would be my choice. You are probably not going to be shooting P-dogs with a 308.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

flounderman
02-05-2011, 08:09 AM
you need to match the scope to what you are using the gun for. not many people use a 308 for a varmit rifle so I assume you are thinking more of a beanfield deer rifle. if that is the case, you need a scope that gathers light well and you don't need more than about 12 power at the most. you can save a lot of money by buying a used redfield type mount and a used leupold, burris, redfield. I would much sooner have a used one of these than a new cheaper brand. match the scope to the rifles capabilities and what you intend to use it for.

Four Fingers of Death
02-05-2011, 08:47 AM
There has been a revolution in top quality target scopes lately and most of the F Class shooters and the like around here are upgrading to March Scopes and the like and also to 30 and the later 34mm tubed scopes. This has resulted in a lot of Leupolds gettig sold off pretty cheap. I have picked up a 4-12 Vari X11 and a 6-18 I think it is. I got these pretty cheap (considering) and either of these would be fine for you. The beauty of leupols, apart form consistent quality and toughness is the fact that it they fail, they get fixed for free by the factory. Hard to go past.

Like the Rolls Royce salesman used to say, the quality is appreciated, long after the cost is forgotten. Save up, a Leupold will last longer than you!

Three-Fifty-Seven
02-05-2011, 10:55 PM
I have a couple of Nikon Buck Master's a 3X9 and a 6X18 I'm very happy with them both, lifetime warrantee

selmerfan
02-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Search some other forums (www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads) in the classifieds and you're going to find used Leupolds in the 4-12x or 6-18x in your price range. GREAT scopes and come with the lifetime warranty, period. Don't waste your money on cheap scopes, you'll just have to spend it a couple more times and never realize the potential of your gun. Bite the green bullet once and never worry about it again.

Four Fingers of Death
02-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Search some other forums (www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads) in the classifieds and you're going to find used Leupolds in the 4-12x or 6-18x in your price range. GREAT scopes and come with the lifetime warranty, period. Don't waste your money on cheap scopes, you'll just have to spend it a couple more times and never realize the potential of your gun. Bite the green bullet once and never worry about it again.

A leupold is a bit expensive at first, but they are lifetime scopes!

rhbrink
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Midway has a great deal on Bushnell 3200 series scopes right now about 33% off! I ordered one of the 10X Mil-Dot scopes to put on a varmint rifle.

EOD3
02-18-2011, 02:42 AM
Midway has a great deal on Bushnell 3200 series scopes right now about 33% off! I ordered one of the 10X Mil-Dot scopes to put on a varmint rifle.

A fixed power mil-dot scope is a lot easier to "learn on" than a variable. One less level of complication to worry about... .02/YMMV

Four Fingers of Death
02-18-2011, 03:24 AM
I gotta disagree there, a 10x is way too much for an person that is not used to a scope. Get in close country and all you are going to see is fur, shooting unsupported all you are going to see is wobble.

Great for an experienced user or a fit young sniper, but way to much for a beginner. A 3-9 or similar, leave it on 4x and use the higher powers when you have a solid rest.

If you must have a fixed, a 4x or 6x are good for all round hunting. The advantage of a more reliable fixed power is pretty much a moot point these days, any decent scope is a set and forget deal, unlike the early days of scopes where the extra complexity was a weakness.

I have been using Leupold variables since 1985 and they have never missed a beat. I have some 6x compact Leupolds, they are nice and pop up used occasionally.

Lloyd Smale
02-18-2011, 06:38 AM
Im a leupold man through and through but theres some good deals out there right now on bushnells. Ive got both a 3200 and a 4200 and there both good scopes and a real bargin right now. I also bought two redfields a 2x7 and a 4x12 and they have good glass but im sure not impressed with there windage and elevation ajustments. Both of mine got boxed up last week and send back in. one click will give you a 1/4 inch and the next will give you a full inch and there far from repeatable. If they get that taken care of i would call them a best buy. Not much of a fan of the cheaper nikons (prostaffs and buckmasters) but the monarchs are great scopes and the 3x9 is discontinued and theres still a few out there at discount prices and there a great scope. Still to me the vx2 is hands down the best scope for your dollar.

EOD3
02-19-2011, 04:19 AM
A 3-9 or similar, leave it on 4x and use the higher powers when you have a solid rest.

I think we're in agreement here. I've seen people (can't call them hunters) fiddle with their scope while the game goes over a hill. IMO: A variable scope should be set based on the terrain you're in. Close woods or whatever, 3X, open territory, run it up to 6+, spot something "way out yonder", run it all the way up. My point being, set it and forget it. 8-)

Four Fingers of Death
02-19-2011, 08:05 AM
I think we're in agreement here. I've seen people (can't call them hunters) fiddle with their scope while the game goes over a hill. IMO: A variable scope should be set based on the terrain you're in. Close woods or whatever, 3X, open territory, run it up to 6+, spot something "way out yonder", run it all the way up. My point being, set it and forget it. 8-)

I have trained myself to adjust the power as teh terrain changes. When I get to end end of the clearing, I crank the power down to 3 and when I am heading into open country, I crank it up to 5 or 6. If I am shooting from a rest, at a distant stationery target, I will crank it up, but turn it straight down again after the shot. I also learn the hard way. What about the story I read it was either ELmer or Jack O'C with a new fangled high power scope, went to shoot a big assed bear and the lens was full of hair! I have his book and his 270s and similar generally sports scopes between 2.5 and 4 power.

EOD3
02-20-2011, 06:52 AM
I have trained myself to adjust the power as teh terrain changes. When I get to end end of the clearing, I crank the power down to 3 and when I am heading into open country, I crank it up to 5 or 6. If I am shooting from a rest, at a distant stationery target, I will crank it up, but turn it straight down again after the shot. I also learn the hard way. What about the story I read it was either ELmer or Jack O'C with a new fangled high power scope, went to shoot a big assed bear and the lens was full of hair! I have his book and his 270s and similar generally sports scopes between 2.5 and 4 power.

Unless I'm shooting one of my AT&T rifles at itty-bitty targets, I never go above 6x. I would trade every 3-9 variable I have (one exception) for GOOD 4 or 6 power Leupolds. Heck, I can't SEE anything "out yonder" unless I'm glassing anyway. Now, if all game animals looked like pheasants I'd be in hog-heaven. My father-in-law decided to test me one day with an (instant) picture taken from his back porch. He thought he'd won when I told him there was nothing of interest in the picture,... except the hen by the fence post. When you've hunted with a Winchester 410 single-shot since the age of 8, your "target recognition" gets GOOD. I can still spot a pair of Jack ears at 150 yards.