PDA

View Full Version : Powder?

davydtune
01-25-2011, 10:54 AM
What do you use in your 50 cal? I used 2F for a long time but have now switched to 3F. The 3F just plain works better for me and I can also get more loads out of a lb with it. :razz: I have also started messing with American Pioneer powder and I have to say I'm very impressed with it. Even out of my flint guns it works superbly. I was told by so many it wouldn't work but I have to tell you it works and it works great. I'm still using real powder in the pan of course but I have switched over to 3F in the pan instead of 4F. It seems to be more reliable and it fires faster, at least for me.

northmn
01-25-2011, 02:04 PM
3f works well with 50 cal round ball. I have used about 80 grains of 3f in my percussion for some time for hunting, and have found about 50 grains of 3f to be a good plinking close range target load. As to The phoney powder, if you like it I guess that is fine, but I can buy the genuine stuff so much cheaper than the phoney powder that I do not waste time with the stuff. I just have to order more in a batch, but even ordering 5 pounds of real BP and paying Hazmat, I get it cheaper than any fo the subs.

DP

davydtune
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Lol! I here ya on the fake powder. When I bought it, it was more out of necessity but to my surprise it's some nice stuff. Cleans right up with even a dry rag. Definitely doesn't seem to have quite the punch of the BP but I keep shots under 100 yards so that should be a non issue. I do have plans on ordering a 10lb lot of BP this summer.

80 grains of 3F is what I've been running as well. That's with a 250 grain REAL bullet though.

Hanshi
01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
I've never fired subs in any of my rifles, only BP. I use 3f for just about all calibers to keep things simple and the reasons you mention. I prime with 4f but sometimes don't have any with me so I use 3f instead. Both work fine.

camerl2009
01-25-2011, 03:03 PM
i use real stuff i only have 1 muzzleloader so far and it a flinter so only real stuff will work i like 2fg goex(goex is the only real BP in canada)

i buy 4f for primer but i last so long. i found if i take a 3/4" copper pipe with caps on both ends(not soldered) put a round ball in it and some 2f and shake it up a bit and it makes a nice priming powder i do that till i have enough to fill my priming flask

waksupi
01-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Lol! I here ya on the fake powder. When I bought it, it was more out of necessity but to my surprise it's some nice stuff. Cleans right up with even a dry rag. Definitely doesn't seem to have quite the punch of the BP but I keep shots under 100 yards so that should be a non issue. I do have plans on ordering a 10lb lot of BP this summer.

80 grains of 3F is what I've been running as well. That's with a 250 grain REAL bullet though.

Davy, you need to use more than a dry rag. That will not stop the salts in the powder from corroding the bore.

davydtune
01-25-2011, 04:50 PM
What I meant was shot to shot. When I'm done they always get a run through of #13 :)

Alan
01-25-2011, 11:00 PM
.50 - .72 I use FFg Goex. It produces lower pressures than FFFg, and you can go a little heavier on the charges. For deer it doesn't matter, but when you go after heavier stuff, it really does make a difference. So does using WW for the balls so they don't just flatten out on impact. As in most activities, everything affects everything else. 8)

Smoke-um if you got-um
02-01-2011, 11:18 PM
I use the American Pioneer Jim Shockey Gold FFF in my in-line 50's. 90-100 by volume with 250-260 sabot loads. It is very easy to clean after shooting. I found the FFF to shoot cleaner than the FF. A little warm water on a few patches and it's clean. The breech plug cleans up in a minute or two with just warm water and a toothbrush. A lot of people do not like it as it is a little slower in the FPS category but that has not been a problem for me. My shots are usually less than 100 yds and it does fine, full penetration, thru n thru, every time. I enjoy using real BP but it is very hard to find around here anymore and I got totally spoiled with ease of cleaning with the American Pioneer. Accuracy was fine for my purposes as well.

Mike

BruceB
02-02-2011, 03:16 AM
If you need "real" blackpowder, check at www.mainepowderhouse.com

I believe they pay the hazmat on case lots, and will ship right to your door. Case lots can be mixed brands and sizes. A bit of organizing with pals, and your lack of black powder might be a thing of the past.

Chris Smith
02-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I got 14 pounds of Pyrodex in a trade a while back. Mostly RS with a couple pounds of pistol and one of cartridge also. Some of the cannisters were pretty old as they were the paper can with the big red plastic pop out lid. They had gotten lumpy but after crushing everything up with a wodden dowel it seems to ignite ok. I target practice with it but hunt with 2f or 3f Goex as thats what's available here locally. I found that about 10 grains of 4f then the main charge of Pyrodex will give acceptable results in my .58 Zoauve.

waksupi
02-05-2011, 02:18 AM
The pyrodex makes excellent lawn and garden fertilizer.

Chris Smith
02-05-2011, 10:42 AM
My 71/84 Mauser actually likes it with a 400 grain bullet but the stuff will ruin brass cases pretty quick if you dont wash them out with hot soapy water. How do I know? Well.......

gnoahhh
02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I use FFFg in all my rifles anymore. In the .50's I found loads in the neighborhood of 50gr. FFFg w/PRB to give best accuracy. I would blush if I told you how many matches I won with that load, and how many deer I killed with it too. Put the ball were it's meant to be and you're eating venison. No need to make a magnum out of it. My current favorite is a .45 scratch-built Vincent rifle that is addicted to 60gr. Goex FFFg (although sometimes I slip her a mickey in the form of 70gr. FFFg). PRB's, naturally. The only thing I use FFg for anymore is in shotguns, and .69 & .72 muskets.

JIMinPHX
02-09-2011, 01:13 AM
What I meant was shot to shot. When I'm done they always get a run through of #13 :)

Please pardon my ignorance, but what is #13? Is that some kind of black powder solvent?

I don't do that much with BP, so I'm not up on all the various products that are available.

mooman76
02-09-2011, 08:18 PM
T/C makes a #13 bore cleaner made for BP. I assume that is what he is talking about. I might also add that last weekend I was cleaning my BP rifle. I couldn't find the windex which I recently started using and I found a bathroom clean that was one of those all natural noncaustic cleaners. It removed some of the brown from my barrel. I didn't even stop to think allot of bathroom cleaners have things to clean rust and I figured it would be ok.

Tom-ADC
02-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I started with Goex 2f but have since switched to Swiss 1.5 f, my 45-70 really likes it also.

Marvin S
02-09-2011, 10:08 PM
The pyrodex makes excellent lawn and garden fertilizer.

All this time I wondering what to do with it, I did just put my garden seed order in.

sw439
02-13-2011, 08:14 PM
I use American Pioneer when I can Find it. It fires first time everytime. Wish I could say the same for BH 209 or Triple Se7en.