PDA

View Full Version : .32 Keith GB Range Report

Dale53
11-06-2006, 03:49 PM
I finally made it to the range with the new .32 Keith, 100 gr (my alloy- 5-1 ww/lino) loaded and ready. They were sized .314" (barely did any sizing), lubed with Emmert's Home Mix and loaded with the final die being the Lee Factory Crimp die. Used crimp groove and 3.1 grs. of Win 231.

It was inclement outside so we shot indoors at fifty feet. I much prefer to test at 25 yards but that has not happened YET. You will see that the Ruger still shoots MUCH too high (was using six o'clock hold). Group size was 1.5" or so with four in under 1.0". Issue sights from a rather shaky rest.

Target #2 was using the slow fire target. This was shot with the S&W 16-4 (scoped with 2X pistol scope) same load. Group about 1 3/16 th inches for ten shots.

Target #3 was ten shots with S&W 16-4, again on a timed/rapid target at the regulation distance. This group measured about 1.5" with nine in 1.0"

I was quite disappointed that my Ruger shoots so high. Going to have to do something about that. We are limited as to power level on my indoor range so I could only use target level velocity. Whether that bullet impact will change significantly when I use 1100 fps loads or not I am not yet prepared to say.

My indications when shooting is that I can seriously improve the shooting with a bit more practice. These groups are NOT Ransom Rest quality as I was shooting off a MTM plastic pistol rest that was a bit shaky (elbows were unsupported). Further, a little experimentation with the load may increase performance. These bullets were a bit hard for the velocity and softer bullets may work better at these modest velocities (probably in the neighborhood of 850 fps).

At any rate, for you good people who have not yet had the chance to try out your new GB .32 Keith, at least you can see that it is probably going to be one, if not the one, of the favorite bullets for your .32's.

Dale53

Buckshot
11-06-2006, 08:25 PM
..............Dang, nice shooting! A higher velocity may get the slug outta the barrel before muzzle rise can have much effect.

...............Buckshot

mainiac
11-06-2006, 09:54 PM
Are you shooting them out of the ruger single-six? If so, youll have to make a new sight on your own,as ruger claims they having no other sights that are taller. I shoot the 98 rcbs and the lyman 311316, this one shot 4 inches high with the rear sight screwed all the way down. Had a machinist make me a new rear sight taday as a matter of fact, 200 thousandths taller,and i might need to file it down a little.

boogerred
11-06-2006, 11:32 PM
i do most of my shooting at work during lunch. i shoot at a copenhagen can dot drawn on a piece of cardboard at about 25 yds using the front tractor tire as a rest. 9.0 grs of h4227 got me a 4" pattern. 7.0 grs of 2400 got me a 2.0" group. i didnt hit the bull but i didnt readjust the sights either. shooting at the same point of aim the 2400 grouped better. i have yet to try bullseye,unique or universal with this bullet but as of now,2400 gets the job. h4227 has not been a good powder for me with any bullet in any calber. im very happy with that bullet and my soup. it drops at a little over .314 with 10# ww and 3 ft of 50/50 wire solder. i think with a little more time i can find the load for this gun.

Dale53
11-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Buckshot;
Thanks for the kind words. I'll do better down the road, I promise.

Target one was shot with a Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel. Sights adjustable for windage only. I think that I'll call Ruger tomorrow and see if they have a higher front sight.

Mainiac;
If your revolver shoots too high, then you need a LOWER rear sight (not higher).

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2006, 06:26 AM
I wish I could try it. When the group buy came out i bought 3 of them two for me and one for a buddy. Since then ive parted with both of my 32s and the only thing left is a 3220 rifle. Im going to have to go handgun shopping soon. Im sure that bullet is going to work great though. Like i said when this buy started that rcbs design is the best dammed little .32 bullet ive found yet.

Dale53
11-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Lloyd;
I was perfectly satisfied with the .314" 120gr RF GB (boy, that is sure a mouth full). However, when I got the Ruger SP101, the heavy bullet shot high. Disappointment... Hence, when the .32 Keith 100 gr GB started, I decided to "get on board" for the Ruger. You can see that did not work.

However, I REALLY like the .32 Keith (I was infected with the Keith virus when but a lad and really have never recovered:mrgreen:). I am VERY happy with the new mould.

Now, I just have to start shooting pistol regularly again to get my "edge" back. I'm looking for under an inch at 25 yards from a rest. Next spring, I hope to get the Ransom Rest back in operation. If and when, I'll share my results with the Cast Boolit Board...

BTW, .32's are not easy to find. Ruger is no longer showing the SS in .32 (at least, the last time I looked and S&W is not producing any that I know of). I definitely recommend only an adjustable sighted revolver (for both windage AND elevation) for obvious reasons) unless you are going to put a dot sight or scope on the pistol.

Wouldn't a really compact (holsterable) dot or scope sight fully adjustable be nice? Frankly, with my continuing eyesight problems, I am considering putting a dot on the Ruger SP 101. It'll probably look awful, but just might work well...

Dale53

Dark Helmet
11-07-2006, 09:20 PM
Lasergrips-ain't cheap though!

Lloyd Smale
11-07-2006, 09:27 PM
my 4 inch sp1o1 shot poa with 2.6 grains of bullseye and the rcbs version if that helps.

mainiac
11-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Buckshot;
Thanks for the kind words. I'll do better down the road, I promise.

Target one was shot with a Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel. Sights adjustable for windage only. I think that I'll call Ruger tomorrow and see if they have a higher front sight.

Mainiac;
If your revolver shoots too high, then you need a LOWER rear sight (not higher).

Dale53

Have a problem mincing my words i guess. I cant lower my rear sight anymore,soooooooo have to come up on the front sight,thats what i was refering to.

Dale53
11-08-2006, 01:18 AM
Lloyd;
I'll give it a try (2.6 grs Bullseye) but 3.1 of Win 231 should be in that ballpark (but it isn't). I think that I just will have to either put a scope or dot, or a new front sight.

However, I have a mind set, with this particular caliber, that I use both target and "high speed" loads. I doubt that both would shoot to the same point of impact with the two widely spread loads (850 fps or 1100 fps).

We shall see...

In the meantime, my little 631 has fully adjustable sights. I only shot five shots with it at the range session. Five shots standing for a 47x50 (timed fire target at fifty feet). So, that is my iron sight carry gun for the bunny rabbits until I get the Ruger sorted out.

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
11-08-2006, 05:39 AM
id contact ruger theyd probably put a taller sight on it for free. Anohter option is clements hed probably put a taller one on for about 100 bucks. Still cheaper then a scope and mount and it sure would look better then all that stuff on a little sp101. You could also consider filing down the rear sight a tad. It probably wouldnt take much and if you goof it up ruger will send you a blade if you tell them the old one cracked.