PDA

View Full Version : sight in question

tomf52
01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Using a laser type bore sighter, the type that mounts in the muzzle using an appropriate arbor, what distance below the point of aim at 50 feet would you set the laser to be on point of aim at 50 yards? My guess is about 2" low, no? We're talking .22 rimfire here but I don't think it would matter a whole lot in any other caliber also at these shorrt distances. Just trying to get some guns set up so when the weather breaks I'm reasonably close to being on target at the range. Thanks for any input here.

JSnover
01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I'd guess an inch, inch and a half maybe. If you set it up 2" low @ 50' you'll be plenty close enough on range day to get it sighted in at 50 yds. If it's a new (to you) rifle or scope, fire the first round at 50 feet or less. I owned one (new in the box) that would not get on the paper at 50 yards... and I swear it was not my fault :)

Mk42gunner
01-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Tom,

I normally bore sight a rifle at a little farther distance than 50 feet, but I would put the cross hairs dead on the laser spot. It isdoubtful that the bullet will fit exactly where you are bore sighted, but itshould be close enough that you are on paper, anyway.

Robert

jsizemore
01-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Is the laser only good to 50 feet?

montana_charlie
01-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Did no instructions come with the bore sighter?
CM

tomf52
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
jsnover & mk42 gunner - Thank you.

jsizer - Laser good for a little better distance but this is the length of my baasement. Too miserable outside to set up.

Montana charlie - no instructions came with the bore sighter.MIA. I think in the past setting the laser spot on the crosshair intersection at 50 ft left me way high at 50 yards but can't remember exactly and was trying to get a little better start indoors here.

montana_charlie
01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Montana charlie - no instructions came with the bore sighter. I think in the past setting the laser spot on the crosshair intersection at 50 ft left me way high at 50 yards but can't remember exactly and was trying to get a little better start indoors here.
Since you have used it in the past, you have a much better chance of knowing how to make adjustments that we would.

Does the laser work at 75 feet..which is 25 yards? If so, you can adjust to have the crosshair and laser coincide at that distance.
Many times a rifle zeroed at 25 yards will also be pretty close to zero at 100 yards.

CM