PDA

View Full Version : When it comes together...

oldhickory
01-25-2011, 07:58 AM
I've been needing a powder/primer locker to help organize my casting/reloading building for some time now. A vertical metal type locker, cabinet, what-ever was what I was in search of, cheap. Nothing turned up at yard sales, etc, so I was just about to build one out of some ash lumber I have stashed away in another building.

Yesterday I made my usual trip to the widow's farm behind me to get the mail, take out the trash, etc. and she ask if I knew anyone who would want a metal closet...Free! I took a look at it, and it's exactly what I had in mind, 6' tall, 3' wide. metal, 2 door, all I need to do is haul it over and add a few more shelves...Perfect!

StrawHat
01-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Nice when a plan works out. Good on you for taking care of the widow lady, not to many folks are willing to watchout for their neighbors anymore.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Very good oldhickory! That is commendable that you are watching out for the widow. I'm glad to see that you got your locker.

Jim
01-25-2011, 10:31 AM
There ya' go!

A few months back, I happened on an decommissioned refrigerator. I screwed locking snap closures on the doors to pull it shut tight and secure it.

leadman
01-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Good for you for helping the neighbor. Funny how good deeds work out for both parties isn't it?

DanWalker
01-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Nice to see good things happen to good people!

Ajax
01-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Congrats on the new locker. I am pleased to hear there are others out there like myself. Kudos on taking care of your neighbor.

Andy

mold maker
01-25-2011, 04:53 PM
I picked up several old school lockers at an auction for near nothing. Doors already have vents and are lockable. All I did was remove coat hooks, add shelves, and a set of keyed alike locks.

Frank46
01-26-2011, 12:46 AM
Good for you. When I first moved to louisiana there was a huge steel 2 door cabinet in the shed. Brought it into the garage to be cleaned of rust and wasp nests, primed and painted. all shelves were put in place and used steel pop rivits on all three sides
to hold them in place and stiffen it up. Locking hasp with steel pop rivits and installed same in my toy room. Also old two and three drawer file cabinets used to store other stuff. Frank

geargnasher
01-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Upright freezers work especially well also.

Gear

a.squibload
01-26-2011, 01:37 AM
...she ask if I knew anyone who would want a metal closet...

Watch out over there, she's reading your mind!
Good to help out, we have a friend who is committed to single life,
I help sometimes with her vehicles, etc.

Is it a good idea to keep primers separate from powder?
I read a thread here that convinced me to keep 'em separate.

File cabinets are pretty good, not sealed, expanding gas can escape "just in case", instead of exploding.
Frigerator keeps heat out for a while in case of fire in the area.
When the one in the garage dies I'll keep it for a powder locker.

oldhickory
01-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Yeah gear, I thought of that too, but the summer kitchen where I cast and reload is already over full of my stuff and a fridge or freezer would take much more room, (she offered the old fridge in her summer kitchen that her husband and I used for beer, but it works well and there's other retired people around here that may need it and could put it to it's intended use).

a.squibload-It was very strange, and just like she was reading my mind! I took one look at it and thought, "That's exactly what I've been looking for!..Only better!" :drinks:

mold maker
01-26-2011, 09:34 AM
I store all my ammo (ammo cans) in an old 2 door SBS fridg. The stable temp and ability to lock the doors together make a safe long term storage container.

oldhickory
01-26-2011, 10:36 AM
For me it's more an issue of, what will fit where. The metal "closet" as she called it is a perfect fit. The fridge would take too much room, and I could just see the wife making room for left-overs in it. :groner:

a.squibload
01-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah, the garage fridge was supposed to be for beer.
Once in a while I open it and smell something nasty,
find leftovers from who-knows-when.
Maybe a lock is a good idea, you know, for safety.

rugerdude
01-26-2011, 11:30 PM
I got lucky like that years ago.

When the local Walmart that I worked at was remodeled, there were numerous fixtures that got replaced. Most of the old fixtures were just tossed in a construction dumpster and hauled off.

Luckily, what had been tossed before I got wind of it was stuff that I had no interest in. Since I worked in sporting goods, I was able to get the knife display case which is 3/4" wood, 5' by 30", with 2 locking doors. Makes a fine power tool bench. I also got the metal video game case which is all heavy steel, 4' wide by 1' deep by 5' high, is vented and has 2 very secure locking doors.

:D

songdog53
01-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Upright freezers work well till wife wants to use her new upright for food. Then i wound up with older metal gun case to store ammo in.