PDA

View Full Version : Shipping package to Canada question

milsurp mike
01-25-2011, 12:29 AM
I didn't know where else to ask this Question.I have a Lyman Mini Mag in the box that a Member in Canada wants to buy.Anybody here familiar with shipping Packages to Canada by the USPS?Thx Mike

mooman76
01-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Should be no problem. You'll just have to fill out a customs form to go with it. You can use the flat rate boxes but the fee will be slightly higher than for the U.S.

rtracy2001
01-25-2011, 12:58 AM
Also realize that the weight limit is different for international shipments. If you buy postage online, they used to give a discount. you can even print out the customs forms, then go to the PO to mail it in person and pick up one of the special customs clear plastic packing slip envelopes to go on the outside. Pack it well, but be advised that customs officials can and do open boxes to check contents, so don't make it hard on them, too easy to loose a shipment if it is difficult to inspect. Go for insurance, to the max.

Red River Rick
01-25-2011, 01:10 AM
If you ship to Canada, when you fill out the declaration for "Value", write what the purchaser paid for the item and not some inflated "replacement" price for insurance purposes. We pay taxes on the "valued" amount if Canada Customs intercepts the parcel.

Put the item a good stong box and wrap as much clear tape around it as possible. I think Canada Post and the US Postal Service play football with some of the parcels..........some of them sure look like they have been.

RRR

kodiak1
01-25-2011, 01:16 AM
When ever possible send via USPS it is the cheapest way to send. There is tax and a $5.00 customs fee charged to the reciever.
If a parcel is sent Fed X, UPS, The duty and cost for getting paper work alone done is at minimum a $35.00 charge plus the taxes and any other charge they can put on.
Fuel Surcharge is one.

Sad but true.
Really great that you asked you saved your customer a bunch of cost and headaches.

Ken.

PatMarlin
01-25-2011, 03:40 AM
Can't insure small flat rate. Better off to send it Registered.

I've lost and been burned on small flat rate to canada.

oldhickory
01-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Pat's right, flat-rate isn't the way to ship to Canada. I shipped a LEE mold to a Canadian member this month and the post office advised me that a small flat rate box we commonly use here domesticly for $4.90 would cost me around $20.00 to Canada. I shipped it 1st. class mail for just over $5.00. Yes, I had to fill out a form describing the item and it's value. You're not allowd to use the sticky labels for flat rate either, (found that out the hard way).

HATCH
01-25-2011, 08:04 AM
It all depends on how the paperwork is filled out.
I ship international almost everyday.

blackthorn
01-25-2011, 11:43 AM
I have had good service from the US Post Office (gas checks from Blammer)! On the other hand, my advise is NEVER SHIP UPS!!! They are the biggest rip-off artists in the shipping busness. I will never again buy anything from the US if the only way the seller can get it to me is UPS!
Have a great day.

PatMarlin
01-25-2011, 12:53 PM
It all depends on how the paperwork is filled out.
I ship international almost everyday.

You insure small flat rate?

I hate UPS as well. I won't go that route with my products. I just continue to work around USPS.

Ohio Rusty
01-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I send stuff to a buddy inb Nova Scotia often. On the Int'l shipping slip, mark it as a gift so the receiver doesn't have to pay a big bunch of money to the Canada post office to get his package. The Post office already has enough money, they don't need more for no reason.
So box it, mail it and send it. mark it hobby supplies or something like that.
Ohio Rusty ><>

kodiak1
01-25-2011, 08:16 PM
The problem with putting gift on it is the SENDER can get burned if for some unknown reason Customs starts digging into it. A Rifle scope would be a prime example of this even a friend can't legally get it from the USA. That is due to your homeland security policies.
A little different if the person is a friend then he!! yah it could be a gift as long as it is legal to leave the USA with out export papers.

Ken.

The Double D
01-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Actually Homeland Security has nothing to do with it. U.S. Arms Export laws-ITAR are the jurisdiction of U.S. Department of State. The department of Commerces regulates other exports

The old Canadian Exemption in the U.S. International Traffic in Arms regulations-ITAR was watered down and pretty much eliminated at the Request of the Government of Canada.

Rifle scopes require a license to export from the Department of Commerce and is required by Congress to assure the export complies with diplomatic agreements made with other countries. If you want to send a scope to Canada just apply for a license and when the license arrives send the scope.

If you declare an item as a gift, the it should be an unsolicited gift. The country it's going to may have a value restriction on gifts. Don't include invoices and receipts with gifts.

Don't misrepresent what is in the package. A material misrepresentation of what an item and it's value is can result in it forfeiture and fines if intercepted.

U.S.Postal Insurance is only good to the border and not beyond. They don't insure what they can't control.

GARCIA
01-26-2011, 08:30 AM
I like marking the customs decleration "Used hand tools".

Tom