PDA

View Full Version : OLD WIVES TALES and MISINFORMATION

HollowPoint
01-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Ever since I signed onto this forum I've noticed an awful lot of Bullet Casting and general shooting related misinformation being passed along by seemingly knowledgeable bullet casters. I fear that in my early days of casting, I've even done it myself.

I admit that these bits of information may have been true at some point but, over time, with a little bit of ingenuity, they have been overcome to the point where they are no longer an issue.

If this hasn't already been done somewhere on this site, I'd like to start a list of these "OLD WIVES TALES" and possibly have it made a Sticky of some sort.

Please feel free to add to this list if you can prove that the "OLD WIVES TALE" you've added has been overcome.

Those of us who have been perpetuating these "OLD WIVES TALES", take note. Contact the folks who have overcome these "OLD WIVES TALES" for an explanation of how they overcame.

Of course, if this has already been done then, Please excuse this rant. MY mistake.

Lets stop wasting perfectly good internet band-width to propagate misinformation.

Here are just a couple of "OLD WIVES TALES" to start this list.

(1) Aluminum Gas Checks will harm your barrel. This has been proven to be untrue by many cast bullet shooters.

(2) You can't mount a Center-Mounted scope on a K31 swiss rifle; the empties won't eject properly. If you were to tell that to my K31, it would laugh at you. My K31 has a center-mounted 8x32 scope that ejects just fine.

01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
"Soft" boolits cause leading.

Jim
01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Here's a couple I heard locally, not from this forum.

Shotguns shoot better if left uncleaned.

It's no longer necessary to clean a gun barrel because corrosive primers are no longer made.

I better quit before I get started. Y'all wouldn't believe the "old wives' tales" I've heard from these boys up in these hills.

Oh, one more that I couldn't resist posting: "Shoot 'im an' drag 'im in the house. Then you can tell the law he was inside."

:roll:

kelbro
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM

Indeed. I have been experimenting based on 357Shooter's blog and was surprised just how well 6-7BHN boolits shoot with no leading.

deltaenterprizes
01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Leaving the last boolits in the mold stops rusting. In humid climates humidity gets between the boolit and the mold and promotes rusting.

Canuck Bob
01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Casting is cheap, couldn't resist!

beagle
01-24-2011, 01:52 PM
And, there's the one you hear every week at the range. Cast bullets lead your barrel./beagle

Springfield
01-24-2011, 01:56 PM
"Lee 6 cavity mould sprue handles are junk"
Have 25 different LEE moulds, cast a few thousand every week for the last 5 years, never broke one yet. PRE-HEAT your mould and they work fine. I personally also cut the wooden handle in half to keep it out of my way. If you need all that leverage you are doing something wrong.

Rangefinder
01-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Oh-oh! My turn! "Lead is a vile, hazardous, dangerous substance that needs to be outlawed in order to save the planet and prevent global warming, Middle-Eastern Crisis, and whale extinction..."

OK, maybe I stretched it a bit--I was just following traditions of those who spread it.

Rocky Raab
01-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Powder burns to the end of the barrel.

Corollary: shorter barrels need faster powders.

peerlesscowboy
01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
this could be a lo--o--o--ng thread :cbpour:

Char-Gar
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
You can't size a bullet more than .003 (or whatever) without ruining it's accuracy potential.

Make your bullets as hard as you can. They will always do better.

You must use a lube hard enough to require a heater to expect good results.

NVScouter
01-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Extreme Conditions powder are best (Varget).

I reload over 30 calibers now and hunt/shoot in -15*F to 120*F and I've never had an issue with powders under 10 years of age. The only time I saw a difference was 300WBY and 2400 that was from a can an old guy gave me from the 70s. When it was -5%F it was "peppier" then when at 50*F

Cartridge OAL's as listed are king! You need a OAL size chart to reload.

I was thinking about this due to the 9mm over pressure thread here. I cant say I've ever used book spec OALs. Too many variables that need to be used to just use a book spec OAL. The boolit/bullet, rifle throat, case neck stretch, cantilure, magazine length limits, etc. I always start by looking at the boolit/bullet and detirmine where the bearing surface ends going to the tip and thats the maximum crimping depth. Then I seat one as long as possible without crimping and chamber it. This pushes the projectile into the case at the depth it meets the lands/grooves and is maximum OAL. I also do a magazine fit check here. Then I expiriment within those limits on what works best.

Belted cases are only good for 2-3 reloads. :groner:

Coyotes need super explosive bullets to save hides.
Enter the magic bullet discussion. These folks havent shot enough coyotes for hides. Thats right Barnes I'm talking to you!:killingpc

Use the heaviest boolit possible for maximum knock down power!
At some point the case gets inefficent for boolit weight. A 30-30 with a 150g boolit will have more energy at 200 yards then with a 220g boolit but a 170g boolit will have more then both.

The 308 Winchester is inherintly accurate!
Or its that most countries in the world have been using it or a very similar round for 80 years. At that point 99% of the variable are consistant due to insane amounts of data.

Short and fat cases are more accurate then longer cases. I hear this, and have read it since the Short Mags have come out. I find the shorter cases burn faster giving a snappier kick. About the same force as its stanard round but sharper. I have never seen a difference in accuracy.

mpmarty
01-24-2011, 02:39 PM
You can't learn anything online as all those posters are full of sh**.

454PB
01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Lee aluminum moulds must be lubricated. (mine haven't been lubed in 25 years)

Marvelux rusts your casting pot.....it will also beckon the tinsel fairy. Marvelux IS hygroscopic attracting moisture, but when used as directed, it is gone by the time the pot cools down. Any stirring/dipping devices need to be preheated before use. This is good policy, even if you don't use Marlvelux. I own 3 Lee casting pots, and none of them have rusted through in 30 years of using Marvelux.

geargnasher
01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
15 posts and that's the best y'all could do? :kidding:

Let me try.

1. Wheel weights will ruin your barrel.

2. Cast bullets will lead your barrel over 1,000 fps.

3. You can only use pistol powders like Red Dot and 2400 with cast bullets in rifles.

4. Cast bullets will never be as accurate as jacketed.

5. You have to add tin to your wheel weights to make good bullets.

6. Crank up the heat on your pot, the hotter the better!!!

7. Smoke the bejeezus out of your mould cavities, that'll make it cast better!

8. While you're at it, smear some bullet lube on the sprue plate.

9. Liquid Alox isn't any good for bullet lube.

10. Lead fumes from the casting pot will cause your hair to fall out, your teeth to disintegrate, and the ozone layer to vanish.

Gear

peerlesscowboy
01-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Is the popcorn ready yet? :popcorn:

Charlie Sometimes
01-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Any oil in a mold cavity is bad- NOT!
Kroil proves different.

sergeant69
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
10. Lead fumes from the casting pot will cause your hair to fall out, your teeth to disintegrate, and the ozone layer to vanish

well, THAT explains a lot. now i can show her it ain't my bad genes after all!

Jim
01-24-2011, 03:07 PM
Buckshot will go through eight walls, a pickup, a heard of cattle and kill your neighbor two miles down the road.

Rangefinder
01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Geez Nasher, I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong! I wish I would have known all those things BEFORE I got good results doing it all bass-ackwards! :D

I always love hearing from the gun counter 'experts' that swear "You can't shoot lead through (insert any firearm here) because it will A: lead up really bad and cause dangerous malfunctions and failures, B: blow up the gun, or C: cause massive rioting in Malaysia..."

Buckshot will go through eight walls, a pickup, a heard of cattle and kill your neighbor two miles down the road.

...And a slug will stop a tank, but they're only accurate within 30-50 yards and fall to the ground within 10 feet after that.

nanuk
01-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim, so don't worry about oversizing them

Belted cartridges headspace on the belt, so don't worry about oversizing them

Jacketed bullets will always outpenetrate Cast Boolits, cause they can be driven faster.

You NEED SPEED to kill game. (like Nothing was ever killed with a bullet going less than Mach1)

You NEED SPEED to kill game as you can never get within 250 yds of 'em. (although I have proven to others I can walk up within 25 yds of deer)

wiljen
01-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Biggest Myth possibly of all:

You need more than a 30-30 to kill deer in the eastern US.

I can see wanting longer range cartridges for out west where you can see for half a mile, but in the woods here where a long shot is 50-75 yards, all it amounts too is more weight to lug and more recoil to contend with.

NVScouter
01-24-2011, 04:07 PM

I can see wanting longer range cartridges for out west where you can see for half a mile, but in the woods here where a long shot is 50-75 yards, all it amounts too is more weight to lug and more recoil to contend with.

I fell for this when I was young. In NV I usualy get 50-500yard shots. I grew up with a pre 64 in 30-06 and 150g store bought and all the military ball I could afford. I killed everything with that combo and when Nosler Balistic tips came out I ran those for my first antelope for a 360y 1 shot kill. Hundred of coyotes fell to that military ball ammo without a runner.

When I got out of the Army fresh from Bosnia I NEEDED a .300WBY! So I bought one and shot a deer at 375y with factory Weatherby 180g rounds. I shot it in the neck to save meat and almost blew its head off. I bought another 30-06 that took the Weatherby's place until I started hand loading and taming the Weatherby. I also bought a 22-250 since the .223 was under powered. I found out after paying double for ammo they are both 500 yard guns in the long run with the same bullets.

Rangefinder
01-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Lead bullets tumble--that's why modern bullets are jacketed!

captaint
01-24-2011, 04:21 PM
They make mould release because we all NEED to use it. enjoy Mike

10 ga
01-24-2011, 05:26 PM
1. You'll shoot your eye out!
2. You can't cast buckshot out of WWs, it's too hard and you'll ruin your choke!
3. You can't reliably kill deer with buckshot!
3. Factory loaded shotshells are way better than handloads and more dependable!
4. You can't kill anything but time with cast boolits, you have to shoot them too slow!
5. You can't use cast bullets in a muzzleloader, you'll blow it up!
6. You can't use smokeless powder in any muzzleloader, you'll blow it up! (see Savage MLII)
7. You can't save any money casting your own boolits! Check price of 150 ML bullets in blister packs. That's about $250 worth.
8. Your hair will fall out and your skin will turn green from the fumes!

This is gonna be a great thread! I'll have more later but I'm laughing too hard now. 10 ga

HollowPoint
01-24-2011, 06:10 PM
I almost forgot this one:

You can't shoot cast bullets out of a Glock. They have a different type of rifling that makes them lead badly. It will eventually blow up your gun.

I've heard of, read and personally seen bullet casters shoot cast bullets out of their Glocks with accuracy that equalled store-bought Jacketed bullets.

The only difference between the "Can't's" and the "Can's" is, the "Can's" know what the heck they're doing; where-as, the "Can't's" seem to believe everything they read.

HollowPoint

mdi
01-24-2011, 06:20 PM
You can't learn anything online as all those posters are full of sh**.

I believe this one, Well, except for me and marty.

How about shooting lead bullets kills condors.

Or casting boolits is hazardous to your health, you and your entire family (or anyone within 100') will get lead poisoning.

duck hollow pete
01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
.1 If you use tin babbit in your allloy you need to skm off the 5% cu.
2 If you use tin babbit in your alloy that high tin content will solder your barrel.

peerlesscowboy
01-24-2011, 06:51 PM

That goes for the western US too. I've lived and hunted in eastern Montana all my 63 years, open plains. I've killed a lot more big game at less than 200 yards than over 200 yards. When I was 12 years old my daddy gave me a .30-30 Winchester, still have it and I've put more venison in the freezer (Whitetail, Muleys & Pronghorn Antelope too) with that 'ol .30-30 than all the rest of my current collection combined. I used j-condom bullets back in those days. What can I say, I was just a kid.....didn't know any better :veryconfu

Von Gruff
01-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Casting is cheap, couldn't resist!

[smilie=l: :brokenima

Von Gruff.

rockrat
01-24-2011, 07:30 PM
At the range the other day. New guy in the club had some friends out and I hear one of them tell the other that a "45-70 and lead slugs will only shoot a group like buckshot out of a shotgun".
Wish I had my 1884 Trapdoor with me that day!! Show them just what a 45-70 and a boolit would do!!

ChuckS1
01-24-2011, 07:44 PM
You can't put cows in the same pasture with horses because the horses will chase the cows. Has nothing to do with casting, but I heard this one today at Southern States and thought it was a good one...

HollowPoint
01-24-2011, 08:04 PM
It just occurred to me that, even though I titled this thread "OLD WIVES TALES," within our shooting related internet forums, it's been us OLD HUSBANDS or BOYFRIENDS that are the main culprits in perpetuating most of this misinformation.

I think we just blame "OLD WIVES" so we can feel better about ourselves; don't you?

Just don't tell anyone I said that.

HollowPoint

Bwana
01-24-2011, 08:23 PM
I almost forgot this one:

You can't shoot cast bullets out of a Glock. They have a different type of rifling that makes them lead badly. It will eventually blow up your gun.

I've heard of, read and personally seen bullet casters shoot cast bullets out of their Glocks with accuracy that equalled store-bought Jacketed bullets.

The only difference between the "Can't's" and the "Can's" is, the "Can's" know what the heck they're doing; where-as, the "Can't's" seem to believe everything they read.

HollowPoint

Yeah, here is a thread from GT. That MarkCo is really something else. All hat and no cattle.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1300521

1Shirt
01-24-2011, 08:26 PM
So far this thresd has developed more **** than a Christmas Goose as my dad used to say regarding the wisdom of some experts and cast boolits. One of my favorites is that you have to use only pure lead in a muzzle loader. Know one front stuffer shooter who used nothing but wheel weights because thats what he had. He won a fair number of matches.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Catshooter
01-24-2011, 08:40 PM
That you have to use a real fluxing product (like Marvlux!) or the lead and tin will seperate.

Cat

Charlie Two Tracks
01-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Casting WILL save you money.
Casting CAN save you money but you must have self control. (whatever that is)

KYCaster
01-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Yeah, here is a thread from GT. That MarkCo is really something else. All hat and no cattle.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1300521

That was very entertaining...here's my favorite:

"Stengun, at the Glock Armorer's course they addressed the lead bullet issue. Polygonal rifling does allow for a build up of lead, the polygonal rifling traps a much greater percentage of the expanding gases behind the bullet, which will lead to higher pressures. Unless you can guarantee to remove all lead fouling each time you shoot, you are playing Russian Roulette with those lead bullets and eventually the laws of physics will catch up to you. "

I'm tempted to join Glock Talk just to see how long it would take to get banned for trying to educate them.

Jerry

P.S. Maybe I should study the "laws of physics" before I do that.

DeanWinchester
01-24-2011, 09:53 PM
I have been told countless times lead will cause reproductive harm. Well, me and my wife have yet to reproduce anything, after ten years of marriage. Maybe it do or maybe it don't but I can blow a whole paycheck at the gunshow, come home and toast a glass of Glenlivet. Sounds like more good than harm to me.:)

catboat
01-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Non gun-related wivestale (or more accurately, from my grandmother).

"You can't feed the dog leftover spagetti. It will knot up in its stomach, and kill them."

For the record, the dog lived longer than my grandmother.

Down South
01-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Obummer is the best Pesident since Carter.
Sorry, just a joke....... We all know the correct answer..........

swheeler
01-24-2011, 10:17 PM

Geewhiz, this guy just had a birthday and from his posts sounded like he was back to normal, musta snapped, huh!

22Short
01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Geez! I used to read Glocktalk! It's been quite a while though. I lost interest. No depth of knowledge there. Seems to be a high percentage of people who have expert opinions about shooting lead boolits in polygonal rifled barrels, without ever having done so...

Tom W.
01-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Making your own bullets is illegal....

HighHook
01-25-2011, 12:11 AM

That is Great!!!! This is what we need to try to teach the young ones today...

1) No i dont want to get my gun dirty i will have clean it for hours afterwards.

2) I dont want to shoot cheap ammo in my gun...

3) Touching lead gets into your blood stream...

4) Plastic guns are not made to shoot more than a 1000 bullets...

5) i only shoot factory ammo in my gun...

:Fire:

*Paladin*
01-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Here's one I got told at a tire shop a couple weeks ago: "We'd LOVE to give you wheel weights, but it's a violation of Federal law because it's hazmat and the EPA would shut us down!"

waksupi
01-25-2011, 01:05 AM

"Stengun, at the Glock Armorer's course they addressed the lead bullet issue. Polygonal rifling does allow for a build up of lead, the polygonal rifling traps a much greater percentage of the expanding gases behind the bullet, which will lead to higher pressures. Unless you can guarantee to remove all lead fouling each time you shoot, you are playing Russian Roulette with those lead bullets and eventually the laws of physics will catch up to you. "

I'm tempted to join Glock Talk just to see how long it would take to get banned for trying to educate them.

Jerry

Please do, and keep us updated. We all enjoy a good laugh!

KYCaster
01-25-2011, 01:46 AM
Please do, and keep us updated. We all enjoy a good laugh!

Hmmmmmmmmmm...not as easy as you might think. They tell me there's already an active account at my e-mail address. I asked for a new password and their log in page will not accept the password they give me.

What's up with that???? Somebody warn them I was coming?? They got some kinda dress code or sumthin...I can't go nekid?????????? You just wait...when they hear from Lawyer Daggett they'll change their tune!!!!!

Oh well, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Jerry :coffee:

tommygirlMT
01-25-2011, 02:30 AM
The one that really --- really --- really --- really gets me twisted out of shape is the various tall tales about women not being able to handle themselves with large caliber powerful heavy recoil weapons

Especially --- the old BS that women shouldnt carry an semi-auto for self defense because they will limp wrist it and it will jamb --- so they should only use a revolver --- and of course nothing bigger then 38 at that --- I shoot 10mm full power all the time --- As to the revolvers Ive got a BFR chambered for 450 Marlin and I can hit what I aim at with it

In many ways I think us gals especially the lighter weight smaller framed of us have a distinct advantage over most guys with the heavy guns --- especially when firing in prone position with a heavy rifle --- we just slide back a few inches with the recoil instead of being a heavier less movable object that tries to absorb the full recoil --- same thing when standing only slightly different technique --- "a belly full of springs" technique just like for rodeo riding --- Keep the feet planted with the knees slightly bent and let your whole upper body move straight back in a pure linear motion with the recoil and your belly inbetween takes the shear in an S curve then back to straight --- the guys just try to muscle their way through and take the full blow and get themselves knocked head over heals (the ones that dont know better of course)

noylj
01-25-2011, 02:58 AM
That you need to clean your barrel after every trip to the range.
Ha, Ha, (insert Monty Python taunting segment)
For me, it's about once a year or when I decide to tear the gun down for a complete cleaning.
All I find is necessary is to use an old toothbrush and clean the breech and feed ramp occasionally.
1) that you can tell a 0.1gn increase or decrease in powder on the target
2) that you should trim all your automatic brass so they are all the same length for accuracy
(when, from my experience, all you have done is destroyed those few long cases that would have minimized head space and given you better accuracy--for those here, the use of a cast lead bullet and having it contact the rifling lightly will correct for the short cases)
3) That deburring the flash hole will improve accuracy
(show us the targets shot using a double-blind protocol)
(I'm slightly going to agree that if your primer pocket is PACKED with debris, you might do better by cleaning the primer pocket)
4) That sizing a cast lead bullet will make the bullets more consistent and increase accuracy (as above, show us the targets shot using a double-blind protocol)
5) That there is some point to worrying about how clean and shiny your brass is.

All I am saying
is "Give it a test"
6) That Dillon is always best and Lee is always junk

odoh
01-25-2011, 03:10 AM
Ackley would tell of the time he was just starting up his career in Oregon prior to moving to Utah. Seemed the old timers wanting the barrels of their favorite lever action shortened, would insisted that the lands & grooves position at the new muzzle be precisely as it was prior to shortening as not to affect the established accuracy.

lwknight
01-25-2011, 03:32 AM
4) That sizing a cast lead bullet will make the bullets more consistent and increase accuracy (as above, show us the targets shot using a double-blind protocol)

OK , that one is not a tale. My GP-100 shoots like a laser with .357 sized boolits.
It does not do so well with .358 or random cast boolits.
The barrel slugs .356 and the cylinder throats will snugly pass a .3575 bullet.

And I dont know what " double blind protocal" means.

Von Gruff
01-25-2011, 04:34 AM
The one that really --- really --- really --- really gets me twisted out of shape is the various tall tales about women not being able to handle themselves with large caliber powerful heavy recoil weapons

tommygirl, I know for a fact that one is full of hot air. I had a SBH in 44 mag and my heavy load was a 283gn HT (opened up Lee mould) over 21.5 gn H110 and I used to host the church youth every year to a shoot. These were uni students and came from all over the world. One year we had 23 countries represented and some of the girls were very slight but many of them would step up to the 44 with no trouble even though none of them had ever seen a handgun ( or any firearm for that matter) I remember a set of twins from tahiti training as DR's who had the slenderest hands and they both went through all the lighter loadings and were still keen. Hit everything they shot at. I was right proud of them all. My daughter at 14 would shoot my 7x61 S&H from prone and look for more. I know guys who wouldn't do the same.

Von Gruff.

stubshaft
01-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Here's one I got told at a tire shop a couple weeks ago: "We'd LOVE to give you wheel weights, but it's a violation of Federal law because it's hazmat and the EPA would shut us down!"

There is actually truth in that Steve. National tire chains like the "F" word and "G" word have to show that they are disposing hazardous waste (lead) in a safe an environmentally concious fashion (rather than putting it in the dumpster). Usually the larger battery companies or recycling companies come and pick it up and issue a recipt for collection. The kicker is that they (tire companies) have to pay to have it hauled away.

thx997303
01-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Geewhiz, this guy just had a birthday and from his posts sounded like he was back to normal, musta snapped, huh!

This made me laugh so hard it hurt.

Crash_Corrigan
01-25-2011, 05:11 AM
Always use factory ammo in your CCW weapon as a Plaintiff Attorney will be able to make claims that you used special Killer Ammo.

You need to trim new brass prior to loading it. I have never done this and I also have never seen a need to trim any pistol or revolver case prior to loading it. As to rifle cases that is a different story.

And my favorite "You should not load certain powders for a Garand as you will destory or bend the Operating Rod and damage the gun". This may be true for condom bullets but when loading cast boolits for the M-1 pressures at the gas port which thru the gas piston pushes the operating rod and this does not duplicate the pressures produced with a condom bullet. If you need more info about this get with BruceB as he is very well informed about this Old Wives Tale.

FISH4BUGS
01-25-2011, 07:22 AM
I shoot a lot of full auto (pistol calibers are all cast bullets). I can't tell you how many people say "....civilians can't own machine guns (or "sawed off" shotguns, silencers, etc. )".
I try to educate them but if I am feeling rambunctious I'll say you are right.....and when they inevitably ask what I do for a living, I say "...I am not at liberty to divulge that information".
They are particulary wary of the pistol gripped 6" barreled 3 shot 20 ga pump shotgun, known as a Serbu Super Shorty.
Some people just don't want to get it. I won't help........

Bret4207
01-25-2011, 07:46 AM
The biggest OWT with cast- It's got to be HARDCAST!!! Hard is better, if you get leading, harder will fix it. Hard, hard, hard. Buncha bull puckey.

Those posts at the Glock site are no worse than some here or elsewhere. Guys get half the story, apply their own observations and thoughts and come to a conclusion that doesn't match someone elses precisely. I do it, you do it, everyone does it. Over time your thoughts change. The maddening thing is when you spend a long time explaining the why of something ( your belief anyway) and the subject of the information just refuses to even listen. What makes it really frustrating is when you have a couple of guns that either seem to eat any load as though it's THE perfect load or one that will only shoot a particular alloy, size, case, primer, powder charge to the tenth, seated to precisely one depth after taking exactly 33 .7 swipes with a patch made of Sandra Bullocks old silk bed sheets and with a lube involving sacrificial virgins, mystic chants and obscene amounts of money. Those things WILL cause you hair to fall out, etc.

Bass Ackward
01-25-2011, 08:30 AM
All barrels must be 100% lead free to shoot well.

We learn from the time we start that all guns are individuals. And after a very short time of our experiences, we come to accept that, especially if we are shooting "accurate" factory ammo.

But when we get to cast, we expect there to be rules. All of a suden, guns are supposed to change personality. With less than complete success, comes even more desire to find those rules. And then with a success or two, we claim (in our minds)that there are rules, to the exclusion of trying everything else. Ever wonder why jacketed took over?

Cast is not questions on the internet, or patterns, but experimentation. Hands on testing. Professor Gun and his assistant, Professor Target still hand out the grades.

Once you accept that there are no rules, then everything claimed becomes a "Wives Tale".

10 ga
01-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Where are those "Sandra Bullock bedsheets" available? I don't need a whole sheet, just a swatch.

jlchucker
01-25-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm glad I don't have an old wife!!!! Now if I could find a young one.....I'd have to show this thread to her and then teach her how to cast boolits!

BoolitSchuuter
01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I have been told countless times lead will cause reproductive harm. Well, me and my wife have yet to reproduce anything, after ten years of marriage. Maybe it do or maybe it don't but I can blow a whole paycheck at the gunshow, come home and toast a glass of Glenlivet. Sounds like more good than harm to me.:)

Ah'm athinkin blowin' yer paycheck at the gunshow and drinkin' thet Glenlivet is what's keepin' you from reproducin'...if'n ya know whut ah mean :kidding:

geargnasher
01-25-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm glad I don't have an old wife!!!! Now if I could find a young one.....I'd have to show this thread to her and then teach her how to cast boolits!

I got a young wife, she's shooter but not a fanatic (like me :-D), but I assure you she ain't gonna learn how to cast boolits just to prove us all wrong!

Gear

AZ-Stew
01-25-2011, 05:03 PM

Has anyone told Buckshot about this?

As for the "Old Wives Tales"...

All basic handloading questions should be posted here first, then looked up in a manual to make sure the manual is correct.

The diffusers over the sensors on a chronograph are the "skyscreens". (The sensors are the "skyscreens". The diffusers are diffusers.)

The company in Finland that makes premium ammo and brass is pronounced "lah-POO-ah". According to the two Fins manning the Lapua booth at the NRA convention here a couple of years ago, it's "lah-pwah", but what would they know?

Regards,

Stew

HollowPoint
01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
The first time I read the word "Lapua" on an ammo box I could have sworn it was a native Hawaiian word.

Used to have a Hawaiian neighbor. When we'd get together for barbecues with his family they'd eventually get to speaking their native language and I'd hear strange sounding words like, "Aloha and Lapua and Bookem Dano" and such.

Good People those Hawaiians. Never met one that cast their own bullets though.

HollowPoint

ChuckS1
01-25-2011, 09:18 PM
From over on the 1911Forum...

"One thing to consider is that lead is a poison. I asked my doctor to test me for lead levels when I was getting bloodwork for my annual physical. It was a good deal higher than the OSHA safety standards. I have since switched to CMJ/plated bullets for reloading. "

Another post...

"Keep in mind that the rifling on a .45 barrel was designed for use with a jacketed bullet. Narrow lands, and wide shallow grooves. Works great for 230 ball, but it ain't worth spit for lead. You either have to run them real slow if the lead is on the soft side, or plate them for normal velocity.

When I was still shooting lead, I found that casting them as hard as I could make them helped a lot. The kind of lube also makes a big difference. I used Javelina lube most of the time, and with the hard bullets had very little problem with leading. Still a mess though, because of the smoke from the lube, slinging the excess lube all over creation, etc. I found that firing a couple rounds of standard ball after every few mags of lead loads tended to keep the leading down as well. Also, remember to size your cast bullets to .452. That will help cut down on stripping in the shallow rifling, as well as gas cutting on the sides. "

stubshaft
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
"You must clean and tumble your brass or you will wear out your dies"
Great for people manufacturing those items...

lwknight
01-25-2011, 10:27 PM
Not a tale :
Most women if not all will never cast boolits because its man's work just like taking out the garbage and shoveling the walk and raking the leaves and painting the eaves.

Basically if a woman shooter can get her boolits cast ( dirty work ) by someone else , she is happy.

Bret4207
01-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Has anyone told Buckshot about this?

As for the "Old Wives Tales"...

All basic handloading questions should be posted here first, then looked up in a manual to make sure the manual is correct.

The diffusers over the sensors on a chronograph are the "skyscreens". (The sensors are the "skyscreens". The diffusers are diffusers.)

The company in Finland that makes premium ammo and brass is pronounced "la-POO-ah". According to the two Fins manning the Lapua booth at the NRA convention here a couple of years ago, it's "la-pwah", but what would they know?

Regards,

Stew

Comon" Stew, nobody can pronounce Norsky words. Ask anyone at Lowes what brand that orange chainsaw is- "Husk-a-var-na". The old Swede I talked to says is "Hooswarnya".

I stick with "Husky".

1bluehorse
01-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Most of this is imateriel.....I would like to get back to Sandra Bullocks silk bed sheets...

The Dove
01-26-2011, 01:44 PM
That horse look white to me!!!!

The Dove

roaddog1m
01-26-2011, 03:08 PM
Here's a couple for ya,
"A 30-30 is a great "brush gun" cuz the boolits go the the brush without deflecting!"

"A cop can't stop you if you make four right hand turns."

".45 boolits tumble and do more damage"

"A .22 long rifle will do more damage than a .45 cuz it will go in your body and bounce around."

So many idiots, so little time!

peerlesscowboy
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
The M-16 with it's 5.56mm round will kill the enemy even if you hit 'im in the big toe...........hydraulic shock will back the blood up and stop his heart.

wgr
01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
don,t shake a can of powder it has nitro. in it and could . the guy that said that to me worked in a gun shop

noylj
01-26-2011, 06:32 PM
A double blind would involve person A loading about 50 rounds of ammo (and noting all the reloading information for those round and that that was the first test set) and person B not knowing what the variable was in that set, packing and labeling it and keeping a record that it was the first test set and labeling it with a random series of digits or any thing else. A has no idea what the label means and they have agreed that the labeling will have no meaning in terms of first set or anything else.
Assuming you don't bring a third party into it, A and B go to the range. B takes a set of fifty rounds and loads magazines or the cylinder for A and lays the loaded gun on the bench so A can fire 10 groups without ever seeing the ammo (this is where a third party comes in as they don't know what the variables are and will not try and cheat by visually looking at a test round). This goes on for all the ammo in the test series. One needs at least 7 groups to be able to seriously say ANYTHING statistically.
Now, they can go back and run group size average and standard deviation for each test set. Then they run a "student-t" test or other test to compare the averages and standard deviations to determine if there is a statistically significant difference between the test sets.
This is double blind. There are at least two points where there is no information passing between operators or equipment.
The person loading knows what they have loaded and the person labelling simply records that this was the first in the test series and labels it something like x43 or potter or some other completely random ID. The loaded notes that series one is "bullet x, powder y, charge weight z, COL a, crimp d, primer q, case ID e, bullet treatment w, and any other data" and that this was the first batch.
At the range, the ammunition sets are randomly selected by b and loaded in the gun so A (or C) has no idea what the ammunition series is.
Back at the "lab", they connect the labels and the actual test set for analysis.
The point being, you have to take your prejudices out of the equation and you have to test enough that you can make a statistically significant determination if the change actually made a difference. This does not work for less than about 7 data points for a given data set.
I see a LOT of people who make assumptions after only one or two targets and feel they have found the truth.

mroliver77
01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Leverguns are not accurate.
Microgroove rifling will not shoot cast.
Microgroove rifling needs hard boolits to shoot well.
Tumbling loaded ammo will break down powder and increase pressure.
Unique is a pistol powder.
2400 is a pistol powder.
Powder charges must be weighed for accurate ammo.
Progressive loading presses are only for inaccurate "blasting" ammo.
Batch loading with a single stage press is the only safe way to load ammo.
`Gas operated semi automatics will foul the gas system if lead boolits are shot.
Saying BOOLITS is childish and stupid.
Revolvers are obsolete.
Cooling a mold with a wet cloth will warp it.
And last but not least (sorry but I have to do it!)
Obama was born in the USA! hahehelol
Jay

x101airborne
01-26-2011, 07:41 PM

My mother, with me as a witness, killed her first buck at 425 yards with a 30-30. She KNOWS her rifle.

NWFLYJ
01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Woman's feet are shorter than men's because they have evolved that way, it let's them stand closer to the sink.:lol:

hiram1
01-26-2011, 08:26 PM
the gov is here to help you ooo yaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tommie D
01-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Comon" Stew, nobody can pronounce Norsky words. Ask anyone at Lowes what brand that orange chainsaw is- "Husk-a-var-na". The old Swede I talked to says is "Hooswarnya".

I stick with "Husky".

That Swede was from the north. Southern Swede's say it Hoosk Varna. Now if you ask a Finish person, it's ........... well never mind.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-26-2011, 09:04 PM
I got a chuckle out of that one NWFLYJ. And, no, my wife does not come to this site.

HollowPoint
01-26-2011, 09:26 PM
NWFLYJ:

"Woman's feet are shorter than men's because they have evolved that way, it let's them stand closer to the sink."

If you're a married man and your wife sees this/your post, I can tell you right now; " Dude, You're sleeping on the couch tonight."

HollowPoint

bowhunter
01-27-2011, 09:14 AM
:bigsmyl2: two come to mind, a rattle snake will hit you sooo hard when he bites you that he will break your leg! i always wondered why it diden't kill the snake or break his teeth out? a mag. round 357 etc. is made to tumble when it comes out of the barrel.

10 ga
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Only cast iron pots are suitable for smelting WWs! AND especially don't use cut down freon tanks, they'll melt before the WWs do.

Obummer will uphold and honor his oath of office.

Never use mined range lead for boolits as it has too much contaminants included, it'll wear your barrel out.

Lead fishing sinkers kill fish. ( 1. all my fish go back in the water one way or another 2. I practice filet and release 3. some are just crab bait and some are chum)

bbs70
01-27-2011, 01:09 PM
15 posts and that's the best y'all could do? :kidding:

Let me try.

1. Wheel weights will ruin your barrel.

2. Cast bullets will lead your barrel over 1,000 fps.

3. You can only use pistol powders like Red Dot and 2400 with cast bullets in rifles.

4. Cast bullets will never be as accurate as jacketed.

5. You have to add tin to your wheel weights to make good bullets.

6. Crank up the heat on your pot, the hotter the better!!!

7. Smoke the bejeezus out of your mould cavities, that'll make it cast better!

8. While you're at it, smear some bullet lube on the sprue plate.

9. Liquid Alox isn't any good for bullet lube.

10. Lead fumes from the casting pot will cause your hair to fall out, your teeth to disintegrate, and the ozone layer to vanish.

Gear

I like #1.
Wheel weights will ruin your barrel.
Only if you don't melt them down and remove the clips .:bigsmyl2:

BAGTIC
01-27-2011, 06:17 PM
"polygonal rifling traps a much greater percentage of the expanding gases behind the bullet, which will lead to higher pressures."

A smooth bore will trap even more of the gases. So how high will the pressures be then?

Donor8x56r
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
1.Shooting Black Powder and cast boolits is bad for you and your gun - that's why nobody does it for 100 years or so.

2.BP smoke is toxic - it shouldn't be allowed on our range.

3.Shooting BP in brass cases ruins them no matter what you do

( so far I have 3 years use or so out of 50 cases of Win 38-55 brass to prove this one WRONG)

chris in va
01-29-2011, 03:01 AM
You can't shoot lead through a stock Glock barrel.

35 Whelen
01-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Now, not cast bullet related, but my all time favorite, reeks of BS, non-fact based wives tale:
If you shoot 308 Winchester ammunition in any bolt action military rifle stamped "7.62" such as 1916 Mauser, FR-7, FR-8, Ishapore 2A, etc., you will eventually blow up the rifle because 7.62 NATO ammunition is loaded to much lower pressures than 308 Winchester.
Dispelling the 7.62 NATO vs. 308 Winchester Pressure Myth (http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=39614)

35W

Thumbcocker
01-29-2011, 12:33 PM
" There ain't no point in even putting sights on a pistol. You just point it like your finger and shoot."

mpmarty
01-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Now, not cast bullet related, but my all time favorite, reeks of BS, non-fact based wives tale:
If you shoot 308 Winchester ammunition in any bolt action military rifle stamped "7.62" such as 1916 Mauser, FR-7, FR-8, Ishapore 2A, etc., you will eventually blow up the rifle because 7.62 NATO ammunition is loaded to much lower pressures than 308 Winchester.
Dispelling the 7.62 NATO vs. 308 Winchester Pressure Myth (http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=39614)

35W

Guess I'm hopeless. My Saiga is stamped "7.62X51 Nato AND 308 Winchester.

Cadillo
01-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Jerry

I think that you would do well to consider that there are many inexperienced reloaders who come here to learn, and unfortunately accept much of what they read as gospel, which can then get them hurt due to their lack of a proper base of knowledge needed to help them filter what they are reading through their own experience tempereed by their common sense.

Perhaps you have shot lead bullets through a Glock barrel with no ill effect. many people have. I am among them. For several years I shot cast bullets through the factory barrel of my Glock 22 with no problems, BUT I am anal about gun cleaning and never shot a jacketed bullet until I was satisfied that the barrel was quite clean.

Glocks do blow up as an indirect result of having shot lead bullets through them. The problem is not only the rifling, but more importantly, the chamber. Glock chambers are intentionally reamed on the large side, they are designed to work even when heavily fouled, and they do that quite well.

Also, the feed ramp of a Glock barrel is cut such that the case web area is less supported that other semi-autos. It has to do with the geometry of the gun's mechanism and what it takes to get the gun to function reliably. because Glock Chambers are large, and because the case web area is greatly unsupported when compared to other chambers, even factory FMJ ammo fired in clean barrels causes a swelling or bulge in the case web area. This bulge causes some premature weakening which shortens the overall life of the case.

Also, those cases (Glock Fired)are unusable in guns with tight chambers, because standard sizing dies do not size all the way to the base of the webbing leading to cartridges that won't chamber in guns such as my Les Baer 1911 .40 S&W or Federal stainless match barrels for Glocks. In order to chamber in those barrels, Glock fired cases must be sized in a push through sizer that sizes the entire case. The point to all this is that shooting a cartridge in a Glock chamber causes a case to expand more that it will in any other properly working handgun. This makes Glocks more inclined to blow cases when exposed to higher than normal pressures, or cases that have been weakened in the vulnerable web area due to firing in a Glock, being reloaded and then the fired again.

Glocks sometimes blow up because someone fired enough cast bullets in the OEM baarrel to cause some lead buildup, and then fired full power jacketed ammo behind it without cleaning first. Because of the unsupported case webbing, the increase in chamber pressure can be enough to cause the unsupported case web to blow, which is very bad in a plastic gun, which will simetimes blow apart.

Like I said before, I have shot cast bullets in my Glock 22, which I have since sold, and I never had a problem, but I would never make a blanket statement scoffing at those who warn not to do so, as some poor novice might take that as gospel and then damage his gun injuring himself or someone else in the process.

We should all keep in mind that there are novices coming here to learn and our giving of advice is a moral reponsibility.

Tom W.
01-30-2011, 04:25 PM
:bigsmyl2:Does Sandra Bullock come with those silk sheets?:bigsmyl2:

tommygirlMT
01-30-2011, 05:03 PM
Glocks have also been blown up with reloads --- just that --- reloads --- not lead just plain old jacketed bullet reloads following the manual --- 40SW especially

Reload the brass from a factory Glock and put it back in the Glock again and again and keep on reloading it until the necks split and dont consider the weakening of the head as well --- just a matter of statistics whether or not you blow up yours --- no lead required --- long story short its not the lead its the gun --- now don't get me wrong I own several Glocks myself --- just dont load the cases to many times and clean the copper or lead out of your barrel (yes copper fowling can do the exact same thing as lead fowling to agrivate the statistics against you) --- or better yet just get a good after market barrel with correctly cut barrel and chamber dimensions

Can you shoot lead in factory Glock? --- Can you shoot reloads in factory Glock? --- Can jacketed bullets copper fowl a Glock barrel? --- Can lead boolits lead a Glock barrel? --- Can you blow up your Glock if you are stupid? --- Can you blow up any other gun if you are stupid?

YES --- To all the above

Bwana
01-30-2011, 06:15 PM
I think that you would do well to consider that there are many inexperienced reloaders who come here to learn, and unfortunately accept much of what they read as gospel, which can then get them hurt due to their lack of a proper base of knowledge needed to help them filter what they are reading through their own experience tempereed by their common sense.

Perhaps you have shot lead bullets through a Glock barrel with no ill effect. many people have. I am among them. For several years I shot cast bullets through the factory barrel of my Glock 22 with no problems, BUT I am anal about gun cleaning and never shot a jacketed bullet until I was satisfied that the barrel was quite clean.

Glocks do blow up as an indirect result of having shot lead bullets through them. The problem is not only the rifling, but more importantly, the chamber. Glock chambers are intentionally reamed on the large side, they are designed to work even when heavily fouled, and they do that quite well.

Also, the feed ramp of a Glock barrel is cut such that the case web area is less supported that other semi-autos. It has to do with the geometry of the gun's mechanism and what it takes to get the gun to function reliably. because Glock Chambers are large, and because the case web area is greatly unsupported when compared to other chambers, even factory FMJ ammo fired in clean barrels causes a swelling or bulge in the case web area. This bulge causes some premature weakening which shortens the overall life of the case.

Also, those cases (Glock Fired)are unusable in guns with tight chambers, because standard sizing dies do not size all the way to the base of the webbing leading to cartridges that won't chamber in guns such as my Les Baer 1911 .40 S&W or Federal stainless match barrels for Glocks. In order to chamber in those barrels, Glock fired cases must be sized in a push through sizer that sizes the entire case. The point to all this is that shooting a cartridge in a Glock chamber causes a case to expand more that it will in any other properly working handgun. This makes Glocks more inclined to blow cases when exposed to higher than normal pressures, or cases that have been weakened in the vulnerable web area due to firing in a Glock, being reloaded and then the fired again.

Glocks sometimes blow up because someone fired enough cast bullets in the OEM baarrel to cause some lead buildup, and then fired full power jacketed ammo behind it without cleaning first. Because of the unsupported case webbing, the increase in chamber pressure can be enough to cause the unsupported case web to blow, which is very bad in a plastic gun, which will simetimes blow apart.

Like I said before, I have shot cast bullets in my Glock 22, which I have since sold, and I never had a problem, but I would never make a blanket statement scoffing at those who warn not to do so, as some poor novice might take that as gospel and then damage his gun injuring himself or someone else in the process.

We should all keep in mind that there are novices coming here to learn and our giving of advice is a moral reponsibility.

Thought I left all that silly stuff over on GlockTalk. Guess not.

XWrench3
01-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Lead fumes from the casting pot will cause your hair to fall out, your teeth to disintegrate, and the ozone layer to vanish.

WOW, WHAT A RELIEF! i thought i was getting OLD!

KYCaster
01-30-2011, 08:38 PM

OK, I'll bite....I was referring to "polygon rifling traps a greater percentage of gas".

I'm not going to get into a debate about whether or not Glocks are safe with cast boolits.

Jerry

Cadillo
01-31-2011, 12:02 AM
Thought I left all that silly stuff over on GlockTalk. Guess not.

KY must be your brother-in-law or other?

Silly Boy!

mpmarty
01-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Simple solution, I got rid of all my tupperware firearms. My Witness, 1911s and PPKs all shoot cast just fine.

thx997303
01-31-2011, 04:55 AM
Don't go lumping all "tupperware" into the same group.

Last I checked, my XD has traditional rifling and shoots cast superbly.

stubshaft
01-31-2011, 06:34 AM
You can't shoot plain base boolits over 1000fps!

Moonie
01-31-2011, 01:59 PM
You can't shoot plain base boolits over 1000fps!

Thought that was only for Glocks...

:kidding: :bigsmyl2:

Cadillo
01-31-2011, 02:10 PM
Glocks have also been blown up with reloads --- just that --- reloads --- not lead just plain old jacketed bullet reloads following the manual --- 40SW especially

Reload the brass from a factory Glock and put it back in the Glock again and again and keep on reloading it until the necks split and dont consider the weakening of the head as well --- just a matter of statistics whether or not you blow up yours --- no lead required --- long story short its not the lead its the gun --- now don't get me wrong I own several Glocks myself --- just dont load the cases to many times and clean the copper or lead out of your barrel (yes copper fowling can do the exact same thing as lead fowling to agrivate the statistics against you) --- or better yet just get a good after market barrel with correctly cut barrel and chamber dimensions

Can you shoot lead in factory Glock? --- Can you shoot reloads in factory Glock? --- Can jacketed bullets copper fowl a Glock barrel? --- Can lead boolits lead a Glock barrel? --- Can you blow up your Glock if you are stupid? --- Can you blow up any other gun if you are stupid?

YES --- To all the above

Whether one shoots reloads or factory ammo, any condition that leads to higher than normal pressure, or even normal high end pressure in a case with a weakened web area can cause a bad situation when fired in an unsupported chamber, i.e. Glock.

A blown case in a plastic framed gun is more likely to cause a catastrophic failure that one in an aluminum or steel framed gun. Barrel leading is only one possible cause, but one that seems to crop up among some folks who shoot lead bullets in Glock barrels prior to shooting jacketed ammo. As I said, it's not just lead fouling that can do this.

I once read a detailed incident report of an agency issued M-4 that blew up because the officer to whom it had been issued had shot it a LOT using factory jacketed ammo and routinely cleaned only the chamber, bolt, and bolt carrier. Eventually the bore became constricted with copper and powder fouling causing enough pressure to cause a Kaboom. And Yes, the bolt cam pin was in place. :castmine:

Cadillo
01-31-2011, 02:17 PM

YES --- To all the above

I forgot to mention. It's refreshing to hear of a woman who reloads. I've met only one, and she is a great shooter in the Cowboy Shooting sports.

Hopefully you can lure some more womenfolk into the world of handloading. :castmine:

Fire_stick
01-31-2011, 08:52 PM
Only use wooden dowel to slug your bore. I read that somewhere, and took it as gospel, but no more.

GrumpyFinn
01-31-2011, 09:50 PM
That Swede was from the north. Southern Swede's say it Hoosk Varna. Now if you ask a Finish person, it's ........... well never mind.

Lucky you guys, if you really want to know, just call me........

45workhorse
09-29-2020, 11:15 PM
The M-16 with it's 5.56mm round will kill the enemy even if you hit 'im in the big toe...........hydraulic shock will back the blood up and stop his heart.

That new to me! And I thought I had heard.....quite a few.

44Blam
09-29-2020, 11:27 PM
Quote Originally Posted by peerlesscowboy View Post
That new to me! And I thought I had heard.....quite a few.

45-70 will kill an enemy if you hit them in the junk. Or anywhere else.

poppy42
09-30-2020, 12:20 AM
5.56 tumbled so much if ya shot someone in the kneecap it’ll blow the top of his off!

Walks
09-30-2020, 12:39 AM
WOW!!!
I Guess My Glock should have blown up about 25yrs ago.
I bought a M23 when they came out in 1992. Only ammo I could get was F-C 180gr Lead. Shot maybe 500rds before I cleaned it. 400lead and then 100 Full Metal Jacket.
My gun did not blow up.
Then I got loading dies and cast a bunch of #40043, only bullet I had for it at the time.
Loading 500rds for me and my friends M4006.
Neither pistol blew up, none of the case heads blew out.
Of course I did clean my Glock after those first 500rds.
And there was no much in the way of leading either.

Got a Lee bulge buster about 15yrs ago. Don't know if it makes a difference or not.
Never had a case head blow out yet.
Not that many rounds fired yet, only about 12,000rds. Cowboy Shooting sorts interfered with shooting it for a lot of years.

dtknowles
09-30-2020, 01:04 AM

What is the correct answer?

fcvan
09-30-2020, 01:46 AM
When I got my first Glock, no one told me 'you can't shoot lead in a Glock.' Since no one told me, I didn't tell my Glock, no ka-booms. (In all fairness, I treated my Glock like my other firearms which meant they were inspected frequently and maintained accordingly.)

I was at the range one day and testing my first powder coated 40 S&W boolits. There were 2 gentlemen shooting a scoped rifle at a 4" x 4" block of wood at 200 yards. They missed. I aimed at the block and was told 'you can't hit that block with a Glock 23.' It did take 3 to get my hold over and then I emptied the magazine into the block.

I guess since I never told my G23 it couldn't shoot 200 yards, it didn't know better. The look on that guy's face was priceless. I would like to see that guy watch my wife shoot her G23 at soda cans at 100 yards . . . with lubed lead hand loads, either right or left handed.

I love seeing folks who just don't think a pistol at distance can be accurate. I was at the range with my folks, we were shooting 6" steel plates from 25 to 65 yards. I cleared all the plates with a 2" 38 snubby, and of course, 'snubbys are not accurate.' I used to shoot that gun a lot . . . wife won't give it back saying 'get your own.' I guess a new snubby is in my future.

Texas Gun
09-30-2020, 01:59 AM
1911 are the best ! Sorry not all 1911 are the same

45acp will throw the guy back 5 ft if you hit him

44mag are the most powerful handgun mm ok

Black powder guns are no good and not accurate and short range lol
I hear that a lot lol

Old powder no good or it gets week lol �� you need fresh I shoot powder form ww2 and out of the 60s and 70s shoots just fine

I can keep going but I will stop for now

Hanzy4200
09-30-2020, 10:36 AM
1. Smoke your molds. Untrue and only causes problems in most cases.
2. Lead hardness is paramount.

mdi
09-30-2020, 11:29 AM
And the correct answer is...(drum roll)... BS!

phantom22
09-30-2020, 12:25 PM
1. Reloading will save you tons of money
2. Your right to bear arms shall not be infringed
3. Brass prep is super fun

Slingin'Lead
09-30-2020, 12:45 PM
I have more than a few Glock pistols. All but 2 have Lone Wolf barrels. That said, I do shoot lead through the 2 stock barrels BUT, I'm absolutely fanatical about cleaning (yes, I'm a little OCD lol). I really like my Glocks and I figure if they're good enough for the SEALS they're good enough for me.

Not reloading/casting related but this one really bugs me. "Coyotes are just stupid animals. Just go to Walmart and pick up a $10 rabbit-in-distress call, drive out in the county get out and start blowing on your call full blast. They'll come running. Sometimes several at a time."

murf205
09-30-2020, 12:50 PM

This one should me the”mother” of all wives tales!

John Boy
09-30-2020, 01:49 PM
* Black powder will explode if outside the container
* Black powder will explode if you hit it with a hammer
* Black powder on ignition explodes- nope, it deflagurates

Brassduck
09-30-2020, 05:12 PM
I did blow up a M-14 in viet nam because I was shooting M-60 ammo out of it or maybe because it was worn out. sure hated giving that old girl up.

charlie b
09-30-2020, 09:23 PM
brass prep is super fun

roflmao

abunaitoo
10-01-2020, 04:31 AM
Firearms registration is so they can return your firearm if it's stolen.
It is to help you.

evort
10-01-2020, 10:03 PM
roflmao

I was laughing at that one too, brass prep sucks but I gotta do it.

elmacgyver0
10-01-2020, 10:53 PM
The Democrats really do not want to take your guns.

bakerjw
10-02-2020, 11:02 AM
I'll take heat for this, I am sure. From a gun sales man to my friend Dave looking for his first ever firearm.
"Glocks are perfect handguns for first time gun owners."

I were in an Irish pub back in Illinois with some friends. bob, who was in the army and not the sharpest individual, made a comment about how the 5.56 is so devastating because it tumbles in flight. Now my friends who were with me are very intelligent and understand that bullets tumbling in flight are wildly inaccurate. I challenged Bob on his assertion stating that a bullet tumbling will not maintain a trajectory and will be evidenced by keyholing. Bob got all bent out of shape sputtering about his military experience and that he had a book in his car stating the facts. All of my friends agreed with him and from that day forward he acted like a pompous donkey.
After he left I confronted my friends about their agreement with him on his wild claim. They replied that had they not agreed with him, he'd have not dropped it and it was easier to throw me under the bus than listen to him expound his depth of knowledge from being in the army.
Fact... tumbling bullets are not accurate. Take that Bob...

Shiloh
10-02-2020, 03:07 PM
Powder burns to the end of the barrel.

Corollary: shorter barrels need faster powders.

And then some. Short barrels, medium or slow powders make fireballs.
Shoot over fresh snow. All that unburned powder in front of the muzzle.

Shiloh

Mal Paso
10-02-2020, 04:22 PM
I remember hearing nonsense in the late 60s about the M16 being smooth bore and the bullet tumbled after hitting you, exiting out another path and ripping everything in between. I think a lot was defensive talk over switching from 30cal to 22.

popper
10-02-2020, 04:44 PM
Hard alloy will lead your barrel.

Mr_Sheesh
10-02-2020, 07:30 PM
You only need one firearm.

fcvan
10-03-2020, 01:58 AM
Firearms registration is so they can return your firearm if it's stolen.
It is to help you.

I am going to call BS on that, at least as far as CA. Many years ago, a pistol was stolen in Bakersfied, CA. The owners had moved 10 years later when their pistol was recovered. The pistol was not returned, but was sold at auction. The evidence guy at the SO, removed one grip panel, so no one bought it at auction. Well, actually, the County Sheriff actually bought it for $50, after which the 'missing' grip panel was magically located. The original owner was still in CA, and could easily be located on a standard DMV search. Needless to say, he was not re-elected.

I had a friend whose AR 15s were stolen. He reported the theft that day, they were recovered the next day. His weapons were 'retained' pending prosecution. Small County, Small town, one of his rifles (the others returned) was in the possession of a deputy who took it from evidence and used it as his duty carbine. Small town, lots of eyes and ears. Even when confronted with this info, the 'evidence' officer claimed it was 'still being held.' Problem was, the accused had already had their charges dropped, case closed. I don't know if they ever returned his AR 15.

waksupi
10-03-2020, 10:49 AM
You only need one firearm.

Of each kind and chambering.

uscra112
10-03-2020, 11:06 AM
All Glock stories posted on this thread are true.

oldsalt444
10-03-2020, 01:15 PM
My favorite OWTs:

Never handle primers with your fingers. The oil on your skin will neutralize them.

Shooting 5.56 ammo in your .223 will make the gun blow up.

Larry Gibson
10-03-2020, 01:28 PM
My favorite OWTs:

Never handle primers with your fingers. The oil on your skin will neutralize them.

Shooting 5.56 ammo in your .223 will make the gun blow up.

And heaven forbid, don't fire 7.62 NATO in a 308W..or is it visa versa ....

Also, the commies can shoot our ammo but we can't shoot theirs....

Mohawk Daddy
10-03-2020, 02:15 PM
A WWII veteran of the Normandy invasion told me "the Germans could shoot our ammunition (30-06), but we couldn't shoot theirs (8X57).

Hickok
10-03-2020, 03:31 PM
A hit anywhere with a 45 ACP will knock a man down.

fast ronnie
10-03-2020, 04:17 PM
Casting WILL save you money.
Casting CAN save you money but you must have self control. (whatever that is)

What's that word when talking about our hobby/obsession?

fast ronnie
10-03-2020, 04:19 PM

There seems to be a mis-spelled word it there. I think it is Pestident when reference is made to a certain party.

LinotypeIngot
10-03-2020, 08:34 PM
Pistol calibers that start with a "4" are more effective than those that don't.

Traffer
10-03-2020, 11:16 PM
The one I heard was "you can't reload 22 rim fire" No "you" can't reload 22 rimfire, "I" can do just about anything.

MostlyLeverGuns
10-06-2020, 11:40 AM
Lever actions are not very accurate and not very useful past 100 yards.

Scopes ruin Lever Actions and serve no purpose on them.

Lever actions require full-length sized cartridges to function.

Scopes serve no purose when hunting ranges are under 100 yards.

Hanzy4200
10-07-2020, 07:56 AM
1. Alloy hardness stops leading!

2. Smoke your mold!

3. Beeswax or Alox for mold lube.

I wasted a lot of time and molds from these three BS lines, all info provided by "well respected" companies.

sparky45
10-07-2020, 08:11 AM

Odumbo was worse than Carter; hard to imagine.

Hanzy4200
10-07-2020, 08:20 AM
Glocks can't shoot cast!

Forgot that one. Maybe I just got 3 in a row that are special. My 30S has never fired a j word.

Mal Paso
10-07-2020, 10:24 AM
1. Alloy hardness stops leading!

2. Smoke your mold!

3. Beeswax or Alox for mold lube.

I wasted a lot of time and molds from these three BS lines, all info provided by "well respected" companies.

Beeswax works well for removing lead build up on hot molds though.