PDA

View Full Version : just got my first 40# of WW

adagna
01-24-2011, 12:54 AM
I found what seemed to me to be a pretty good deal on craigs list. just shy of 40# for $35.

Now I just need to get my mold. I found the Lee mold I want in a 2 cavity with the handles included for $24. I wanted a 6 cavity mold but it seems like a pretty great deal since the handles are included.

Would I be better served getting the 6 cavity mold or take the deal in 2 cavity?

bigjake
01-24-2011, 01:06 AM
The two cavity is a good deal. I dont know how many boolits you need but if you get a good rythm going you can make plenty.
If you enjoy casting, the two cavity is fine. I you are in a big hurry then you might want the six hole.

home in oz
01-24-2011, 01:08 AM
Good Start!

40sandwfan
01-24-2011, 03:28 AM
I can put a few hundred out in short order and I have a Lee 2-cavity mold with a 10-pound melting pot. Maybe if the President let's me have my Income Tax Returns and doesn't use it to attempt to pay of the Federal Deficit I can buy a 20-pound pot and a 6-cavity mold. Boy I'll be in high cotton then for sure!!

excess650
01-24-2011, 07:19 AM
If you're just getting into casting, the 2 cavity will be easier to learn with.

Jal5
01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
I agree with excess650. I am just starting out too and picked up several 2cav and single cav molds. It is tricky to get it going right with just a 2 cav mold! but do start learning and ask a lot of questions here, it sure has helped me. Welcome to the addiction.

Joe

songdog53
01-27-2011, 12:13 PM
A 2 cavity mold will pour lot of boolits and will help you learn the rythem of pouring them. I been pouring them for years and still like some of my 2 boolit molds and even have couple of single molds that enjoy. Course i'm not in big hurry and keeps old man out of trouble.

Daryl
01-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Lee molds are the most affordable for sure. I usually get the 2-cavity to try a particular bullet and see if I like it and how it works. If I like it, I get the 6-cavity and sell the 2-cavity. Just like renting to try it out! Mostly get 50% to 75% out of reloading stuff pretty easily if it's in decent shape. Yes, these forums are great. Got to just do it then ask the questions. I've been at it about 4 years now and probably cast 20k to 30k a year. My biggest mistake was starting with the difficult 9MM with tumble lube - lots of leading problems. 38 Special was easy, successful, and fun to do, though. Once I really got it down, I've recently invested in the $150 custom made 4-cavity LBT molds and think they are worth every Pennie.