PDA

View Full Version : Did I just...

buyobuyo
01-23-2011, 08:40 PM
discover an ancient chinese secret to perfect boolits? :lol:

Just got done casting another batch of boolits from my Mihec 125-HP. I started out as usual with the mold guide on my pot set with about a 1/4" to 3/8" gap between the sprue plate and spout, and I was experience the same problems as before with the rear cavity having poor base fill out about every 4th poor. After a while, I noticed that the fill out problem seemed to occur if the stream didn't go down the center of the sprue hole. I cast like this for a while longer trying to keep the hole center under the spout. However, it messed up my rhythm, and the boolits started sticking to the pins.

Then I decided to try pouring with the sprue hole against the spout, and instantly I was getting prefect fill out. [smilie=w: It also results in minimal sprue because the pot acts as the sprue puddle during the pour and the bullets can be dropped almost immediately after pouring, so you can cast faster. :lovebooli

Does anyone else do this?

stubshaft
01-23-2011, 08:43 PM
It's called pressure pouring.

buyobuyo
01-23-2011, 09:20 PM
It's called pressure pouring.

Good to know. I'd heard the term but didn't know what it was exactly.

lwknight
01-23-2011, 09:34 PM
When I started casting , I thought pressure casting was the only way it could be done.
Eventually I figured out that a descent sprue puddle knocks off the plate easier than the little tit thingie.

Doc Highwall
01-23-2011, 09:50 PM
I put the sprue plate to the spout to fill, but then let the mould drop down to the mould guide and drop the spout lever just as the mould hits the mould guide. This method leaves a nice sprue puddle. It is like a 1-2 action dropping the mould and pot lever one after the other.

MT Gianni
01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
I have to keep notes on what each mold wants. Some like pressure some don't, even from the same manufacturer. The same goes for temperature.

MtGun44
01-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Sometimes pressure casting is necessary, but generally, I can get as good fill out
without it. I'd rather have the puddle to feed metal in as the boolit shrinks as it cools,
help prevent a void.

Plus, I don't think the Chinese know squat about casting boolits, probably go to prison
for life for even owning a mold.

Bill

buyobuyo
01-23-2011, 11:03 PM
When I started casting , I thought pressure casting was the only way it could be done.
Eventually I figured out that a descent sprue puddle knocks off the plate easier than the little tit thingie.

I did notice that when I started, so I put some sprue lube one the sprue holes which took care of the problem.

I have to keep notes on what each mold wants. Some like pressure some don't, even from the same manufacturer. The same goes for temperature.

I need to start keeping some notes. Luckily my memory is pretty good.

Bret4207
01-24-2011, 09:28 AM

BINGO!!! I have moulds that DEMAND a certain style of pouring or an odd temp (usually cooler than I normally cast) and I have to write it down or I'll forget. Start keeping track of stuff like that and your casting life will become easier.

1Shirt
01-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Yep, agree with molds being different! They have personality. Think they are female!
1Shirt!:coffee: