PDA

View Full Version : Problems with New RCBS Sizer Lyman 450 Lubrasizer

7br
01-23-2011, 07:45 PM
I purchased a new .452 rcbs sizer die from Midway. I am having a hard time getting it to seat in my old lyman 450. Other RCBS sizer dies seem to work fine. Any ideas?

clintsfolly
01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
yes we found that the newer rcbs sizer dies are larger OD then lyman clint

7br
01-23-2011, 08:32 PM
Can I chuck it up in the drill press and apply emery cloth?

Calamity Jake
01-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Can I chuck it up in the drill press and apply emery cloth?

Yes but start with a wide fine file as the emery cloth will take hours to remove .001.

Measure an old to new that will give you an idea as to how much you need to take off.

RobS
01-24-2011, 11:13 AM
If you have a regular 5/8"-3/4" chuck drill press then you'll have to use a bolt that is long enough to stick out the top of the die an inch or so; a bolt long enough to run a nut down and yet have length to chuck into the press. Try and fit the bolt to be as close to the dies inside diameter as possible, however I like them just a bit smaller so I can wrap with a small amount of disposable shop rag or heavy duty paper towel. I do this so the inside of the die won't get scratched. I prefer bolts that have an angled head (like a regular wood screw) so they center themselves in the die, but a regular bolt will work. Dies are tempered hard and if needed (you have worked on it and are not getting anywhere) you may have to take the temper out of yours by heating it up with a torch cherry red and then letting it air cool. Of course later you would need to re-heat treat after you are done working on things which isn't difficult to do either. I've re-heat treated dies by heating to the start of cherry red and then quenching in motor oil, (don't use water as it will be too brittle).

kodiak1
01-24-2011, 08:07 PM
Will a file even touch one of these rascals?
I got tow RCBS and they won't fit in my old Lymans. Pi55 a fella off after all the years that they fit.
Ken.

RobS
01-25-2011, 12:13 AM
I could not get mine to work, but it wasn't a real fine file; I don't know if that would have made a difference or not. I took the temper out and then used 220 grit paper wrapped around a wide flat file.