PDA

View Full Version : Safe Rack causing rust on my guns!!!

no34570
11-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi fellas
I bought a new gunsafe about 4 months ago,well made and reasonably priced from my local gun dealer here in Oz.
It has those felt covered wooden gun racks in it and with my guns resting on them around the barrel where the rack fits is starting to turn them a little bit rusty.:cry:
Now I hate to see my guns go rusty,is there something I can do?????
At the moment I just go out there and soak the whole felt that touches the barrel with gun oil or any oil I have on hand.
Has anyone else had this problem?:confused: I suppose I could rip them out,but they hold the guns nice and securely.

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers :drinks:
no34570
Dale.

grumpy one
11-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Conceivably the glue holding the felt onto the racks is chemically active; if not, the interior of your safe is probably not dry enough.

For what it's worth, I usually rely on spreading a little gun oil or Ed's Red on the guns before putting them in gun bags, which in turn I put in the gun locker. The atmosphere in the bags is then saturated with oily fumes. The guns that are not in bags are wrapped in slightly oily rags before putting them in the locker. However, I'm probably over-doing it there. Some drying medium in the locker, plus oiling the guns before storing them, would probably be sufficient.

Geoff

Jon K
11-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Dale,

Golden Rod..........

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?tabid=15&categoryid=10489&categorystring=10615***

Works for me, I've had mine for 20+ years and still working.

Hope this helps,
Jon

:castmine:

no34570
11-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Conceivably the glue holding the felt onto the racks is chemically active; if not, the interior of your safe is probably not dry enough.

For what it's worth, I usually rely on spreading a little gun oil or Ed's Red on the guns before putting them in gun bags, which in turn I put in the gun locker. The atmosphere in the bags is then saturated with oily fumes. The guns that are not in bags are wrapped in slightly oily rags before putting them in the locker. However, I'm probably over-doing it there. Some drying medium in the locker, plus oiling the guns before storing them, would probably be sufficient.

Geoff

Hi Geoff
The interior of the safe is dry,I have that Dampsorb crystals/pellets in it,it's just starts to rust where the barrel rests against it.
Thanks for the tip too
Cheers
no34570
Dale.

no34570
11-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Dale,

Golden Rod..........

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?tabid=15&categoryid=10489&categorystring=10615***

Works for me, I've had mine for 20+ years and still working.

Hope this helps,
Jon

:castmine:

Jon
Thanks for the tip,but I have asked Midway if they send to Australia and got a reply back saying NO.
I have seen those Goldenrods before,look good.
I was just talking to a bloke in town today and he suggested taking the felt off and replacing it with a a piece of weather strip and soak that in gun oil,might try it?
Also put a 15-25 watt light globe in the safe,I don't know about that one though.
Thanks for your help
Cheers
no34570
Dale

kodiak1
11-05-2006, 10:04 PM
no34570 You have to get a decadesent (Spelling) better known as Silica Gel Beads and about once a month you will have to put them in the Oven at 300 degree F for 5 to 6 hours to re dry them and then re use them.
They come a Cobalt Blue and when they need to be reactivated the start to turn Pink. Have them in all eight of my safes, they are a pain kinda but no rust,
Ken.

no34570
11-05-2006, 10:12 PM
no34570 You have to get a decadesent (Spelling) better known as Silica Gel Beads and about once a month you will have to put them in the Oven at 300 degree F for 5 to 6 hours to re dry them and then re use them.
They come a Cobalt Blue and when they need to be reactivated the start to turn Pink. Have them in all eight of my safes, they are a pain kinda but no rust,
Ken.

Ken
I have heard of them,but don't know were even to look for them here in Australia,but thanks for the tip,thats a good one I'll keep in mind
Thanks mate
Cheers
no34570
Dale.

jhalcott
11-05-2006, 10:28 PM
http://waltonfeed.com/grain/faqs/ivd2.html i think the small light is as good an idea as this stuff and cost about thwe same. figure $$ to run your oven 24 hours.

waksupi
11-05-2006, 10:33 PM
I'm thinking the rest in your safe, has some type of acid in it. Lots of the carpet type linings contain formaldyhyde, which could be the problem. I would remove it, and replace it with virgin wool, should eliminate the problem. Being in Australia, I'm sure you have access to that. Otherwise, contact Carpetman. Although, I don't believe he would guarantee his as virgin.

grumpy one
11-05-2006, 10:36 PM
The silica gel is available here as far as I know, but I think the cheap grade is just kind of off-white rather than doing the blue/pink thing.

It sounds to me as if there is a good chance there is a chemical in the felt, possibly from the glue, that is aggressive against steel. You could try just putting a closed-ended sleeve of cloth over the muzzles, reaching down far enough to keep the felt from making contact. If the rust is localized around the felt, this seems more likely than just general moisture. If the felt/glue is causing the problem, oiling the steel, or the felt, may not be all that effective.

Jon K
11-06-2006, 12:02 AM
Hi Dale,

Yes 15w light bulb works good. Just be careful not to let it sit on anything flamable. Also be sure to check it regularly, lightbulbs have a short life.

You can aso get a Golden Rod from Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005569210423a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=dehumidifiewr&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=dehumidifiewr&noImage=0

They will ship to Australia, easiest to call 800 237-4444 to place the order

$29.99 usd + shipping. Order Desk is open 24hrs/7days.

Jon

Jon K
11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Dale
You might also try putting the short pistol size "sack up" cover on the rifle barrel, where it leans on the felt, sort of as a barrier.

Jon

Bigjohn
11-06-2006, 12:42 AM
no34570
Remington have a rechargable in safe unit for removing moisture from the atmosphere in safes. I use wooden rests for my barrels where I live but still I have to watch out for rust and mold.

I believe Raytrade are the Remington importers.

I monitor the atmospheric moisture content and take the firearms out and wipe them over regularly.

John.

no34570
11-06-2006, 12:58 AM
I'm thinking the rest in your safe, has some type of acid in it. Lots of the carpet type linings contain formaldyhyde, which could be the problem. I would remove it, and replace it with virgin wool, should eliminate the problem. Being in Australia, I'm sure you have access to that. Otherwise, contact Carpetman. Although, I don't believe he would guarantee his as virgin.

waksupi
Thanks for the reply and I will take the felt off and put on some virgins wool[smilie=1: I mean virgin wool off a sheep:-D :-D :-D
The safe has no carpet,just a steel floor I put some rbber sheet on the bottom to give a bit of protection to the butts.
Thanks mate.

Jhalcott
Thank you too for replying,I might see if I can get a GoldenRod from Cabelas later on in the month,but I'm sure the light globe trick would work too,I might try that first as well as taking the felt off the racks.
Thanks again
no34570

no34570
11-06-2006, 01:03 AM
The silica gel is available here as far as I know, but I think the cheap grade is just kind of off-white rather than doing the blue/pink thing.

It sounds to me as if there is a good chance there is a chemical in the felt, possibly from the glue, that is aggressive against steel. You could try just putting a closed-ended sleeve of cloth over the muzzles, reaching down far enough to keep the felt from making contact. If the rust is localized around the felt, this seems more likely than just general moisture. If the felt/glue is causing the problem, oiling the steel, or the felt, may not be all that effective.

Geoff
I am going to remove the felt and glue on the wooden racks.It is localized around the felt were the rust happened,it was only on one gun,but I checked the others and it just sucked up all the oil from that area,I mean dry as the proverbial[smilie=1: .
Thanks mate
no34570
Dale.

no34570
11-06-2006, 01:07 AM
Hi Dale,

Yes 15w light bulb works good. Just be careful not to let it sit on anything flamable. Also be sure to check it regularly, lightbulbs have a short life.

You can aso get a Golden Rod from Cabela's

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0005569210423a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=dehumidifiewr&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=dehumidifiewr&noImage=0

They will ship to Australia, easiest to call 800 237-4444 to place the order

$29.99 usd + shipping. Order Desk is open 24hrs/7days.

Jon

Jon
Thanks mate for replying again,I just emailed Cabelas for some info on the GoldenRod and shipping,will probably get an answer later tonight and will go from there.The sock trick sounds good,but I'll see first how the replacing of the felt to wool goes.
Thanks again
Dale
no34570:castmine:

no34570
11-06-2006, 01:12 AM
no34570
Remington have a rechargable in safe unit for removing moisture from the atmosphere in safes. I use wooden rests for my barrels where I live but still I have to watch out for rust and mold.

I believe Raytrade are the Remington importers.

I monitor the atmospheric moisture content and take the firearms out and wipe them over regularly.

John.

Bigjohn
I've seen them in a gun shop years ago and thought they were not around anymore,I'll look into that one,thanks mate.
My safes are pretty dry and don't have to worry about moisture,only this wooden rack thing has stuffed up and I still take my firearms out and give them a good going over with a rag wet with my favourite gun oil,I don't "Soak"them just lightly.
Cheers mate
Dale
no34570
:drinks:

PatMarlin
11-06-2006, 01:17 AM
I'd carpet and insulate the safe.

Problem is bare steel, codensates, then the the felt absobed the moisture most likely. Chemical sure could have done it also.

Anyone use Bore Stores?. I'm thinking bout' buying them to be able to stop any safe dings.

no34570
11-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I'd carpet and insulate the safe.

Problem is bare steel, codensates, then the the felt absobed the moisture most likely. Chemical sure could have done it also.

Anyone use Bore Stores?. I'm thinking bout' buying them to be able to stop any safe dings.

PatMarlin
Hi,I could line the safe with carpet,for I have some here and line it with insulation,but my other safe does not have carpet at all and the guns in that one are fine.
So I seem to think it might be the glue in the felt or the felt itself.
Thanks for the tip though
Cheers mate
no34570

versifier
11-06-2006, 08:39 PM
FWIW, I used to make really fancy high end custom jewelry boxes. We had to be sure all felt and velvet linings were attached with white wood glue. The contact cement that would have been our first choice would soak into the fabric and later react with the precious metals. If it can discolor gold and platinum, it can certainly react with steel. I suspect that is what was used to attach the lining in your safe's rack as it is quick and easy to apply, and holds up well over time. The problem only becomes an issue when using it on a porous or absorbant material.

Harry O
11-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Where I live, it is more than 50% humidity 3/4 of the year and can get to 90% for weeks on end. I briefly had rust problems until I started putting "Damp-Rid" in margarine tubs in the safe (punch holes in the lid). You can find it in any of the home supply places or larger hardware stores. I have four in a safe that is about 3' deep, 4' wide, and 5' high. Change them once a month during the summer and once about every three months in the winter. It goes from granules to a thick liquid when it is time to change. Have not had a hint of rust since then (about 15 years ago).

Ed Barrett
11-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Before I knew about Golden rods, I put a 10 watt bulb in the back of the metal storage box I used for my guns. Never had a problem with rust, an old german gunsmith told me about that back about 1955 or so. Back then I only had two guns and I use them so much I don't think they ever got a chance to rust. Now I have a 50 gun safe and some in the back only see the light of day every few years.

no34570
11-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Where I live, it is more than 50% humidity 3/4 of the year and can get to 90% for weeks on end. I briefly had rust problems until I started putting "Damp-Rid" in margarine tubs in the safe (punch holes in the lid). You can find it in any of the home supply places or larger hardware stores. I have four in a safe that is about 3' deep, 4' wide, and 5' high. Change them once a month during the summer and once about every three months in the winter. It goes from granules to a thick liquid when it is time to change. Have not had a hint of rust since then (about 15 years ago).

Harry O
Hi,I use the same in my safes,the Damp Rid and thats what I can't understand the other safe is fine,it's just the new one with the felt lined wooden racks,so as I said I'm going to take the felt off and put wool with wood glue on it.
Befor I started using Damp Rid,I was getting very fine rust on my guns,now all is nice clear and no rust at all.
Cheers Mate

no34570
11-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Before I knew about Golden rods, I put a 10 watt bulb in the back of the metal storage box I used for my guns. Never had a problem with rust, an old german gunsmith told me about that back about 1955 or so. Back then I only had two guns and I use them so much I don't think they ever got a chance to rust. Now I have a 50 gun safe and some in the back only see the light of day every few years.

Hi Ed
I reckon it's a good idea,more so if you don't want to go and buy a Goldenrod I like that idea a lot
Cheers