PDA

View Full Version : Scoping a Marlin 39A questions

JDL
11-05-2006, 10:32 AM
I have a 39A that has the regular Weaver base that takes the standard Weaver detachable rings. I would like to mount a nice little Redfield 3/4" scope to it but, the rings will only fit 3/8" grooved receivers for most .22 RF. I can't find any information that Weaver makes the 3/4" rings to match the base.

Midway has a one piece base that's listed as "Rimfire 3/8" grooved receiver". I'm wondering if this will attach to the Marlin's receiver so that I may mount the Redfield to it? Any suggestions appreciated. -JDL

Pepe Ray
11-05-2006, 02:53 PM
3/4"rings will be tuffer to find ,focus on the base. Brownells has a very simple base for what you want. In fact it's so simple that you could make it yourself from a piece of blank strap iron a file and drill. When you see it you'll slap your forhead,"why didn't I think of that?" To save the work just call Brownells. They pride themselves for their ability to help their customers over the Phone.
Pepe Ray

Char-Gar
11-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Brownells also sell bushings, so you can mount a 3/4" scope in 1" rings.

Mk42gunner
11-05-2006, 06:48 PM
Back in the dark ages when I last had a scope on a model 39 the base was cut for both the standard weaver type rings and it also had a 3/8" dovetail on it. I think it was a Weaver base, but I don't have a clue as to the number of it. They are out there, somewhere.

Robert

JDL
11-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Called a friend this morning to see if he might have some 3/4" rings and he told me he had thrown several sets away a couple of years ago because he was tired ot them being in the way. :-( Then he said he had what I needed, a base that Marlin used to supply for tip-off rings made of steel at no charge. :-)
Pepe Ray your absolutely correct. One could easily be made with a file, a piece of iron, and a little time but, I like this one better, especially for the price. -JDL

Blackwater
11-08-2006, 01:31 AM
There's a place in Alabama, I believe, called Vintage Sporting and Collectibles, IIRC. They advertise in the Gun List and Shotgun News, I believe, or at least they used to. Pick up a copy of either and peruse it, and give them a call. Using the 3/4 to 1" ring adapters just wouldn't look right on a M-39, I don't think, though it'd surely work. Hope this helps?