PDA

View Full Version : What does leading look like, and where to find it?

rtracy2001
01-22-2011, 12:41 PM
This morning was my first range session using non-tumble lubed boolits in any weapon and especially in my Ruger P944 (40 smith). I did not have a whole bunch to try, and it was cold, so I ran about 20 through. They all fed well (Lee 175gr TC) and seemed to group about the same as factory loads (I need lots of practice, I'll admit). After running the 20 cast through I checked the barrel to see if I could see anything. I noticed the usual powder residue, and a few flakes of unburned powder (Blue Dot). Nothing that I thought looked like leading, but then I realized, I don't know what leading looks like.

I finished up the remainder of the ammo that I had (some jacketed hand loads that wouldn't cycle or feed well), and I came home to consider things.

So, what does leading look like, and where should I look for it.

FYI,

Here are the load specifics:

Lee 175 gr TC, sized to .401 & lubed with BAC over 7.3 gr Blue Dot.
Win 1X case, Fed sm Pistol primer, COL 1.125" light Lee FCD crimp.

No cronograph, so I have no idea how fast they are moving.

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
This should get you started . . . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91914&highlight=barrel

rtracy2001
01-22-2011, 02:51 PM
This should get you started . . . http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91914&highlight=barrel

Thanks, No leading yet [smilie=w:

MtGun44
01-22-2011, 06:16 PM
You will know it when you see it!

Bill

Bass Ackward
01-22-2011, 07:08 PM
When you are absolutely sure that the bore is perfectly clean, shine a white LED light in either end of the bore with your eye "behind" the light source.

That stuff that wasn't visible before and now looks fluorescent grey, is lead. :grin:

btroj
01-22-2011, 07:13 PM
You will know it when you see it!

Bill

Yep. Leading is pretty easy to see in a barrel for a pistol. I find that if I clean with solvent, dry the barrel, and hold it up to a light it is pretty obvious. a revolver is a bit harder because you can't look straight down the barrel from the breach end but it still easy to see.