PDA

View Full Version : Ruger is advertising the C9 to be out feb 1

tackstrp
01-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Ruger is advertising the C9 to be out feb 1. Sig P290 should be close behind. Both will be in 9 MM and kick the stuffing out of Kel Tec PF9 and Pf11 or the Taurus model 709.

Sadly I am having a hard time selling my P3AT with Crimson Trace, even with a major loss. So will have to wait for a while on Ruger C9. Will be the pistol Glock should have made.

pdawg_shooter
01-21-2011, 12:14 PM
If is a Ruger I will have to take a pass on it.

scrapcan
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
And how much are you asking for your Keltec P3AT?

I am with pdawg on passing on the ruger, if it were a taurus I would say the same thing.

tackstrp
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Only thing i dislike about my two glocks is must pull the trigger to remove the slide. Had a stuck live round and could not rack the slide. Had to go back to range to pull the trigger, of course gun fired and ejected the spent case.

S.R.Custom
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Ruger is advertising the C9 to be out feb 1. Sig P290 should be close behind. Both will be in 9 MM and kick the stuffing out of Kel Tec PF9

Meh. Both are still bigger than the KelTec PF-9, and both are significantly heavier. the Ruger weighs more empty than my KelTec fully loaded, and the Sig almost twice as heavy. And I can buy 2.5 KelTecs for what the Sig costs...

The PF-9 with belt clip that routinely hangs in the small of my back isn't going anywhere soon.

tackstrp
01-21-2011, 12:54 PM
retried dallas policeman told me that the Kel Tec PF11 is a favoriate concealed weapon. Curious do you use round nose or truncated.

S.R.Custom
01-21-2011, 01:31 PM
retried dallas policeman told me that the Kel Tec PF11 is a favoriate concealed weapon. Curious do you use round nose or truncated.

To make the most of the gun's light weight, I take aluminum cased CCI Blazer ammo, pull the bullets, and seat jacketed hollow points. With the belt clip attached and fully loaded, my parkerized PF-9 weighs 17.8 oz.

Geraldo
01-21-2011, 03:45 PM
And I can buy 2.5 KelTecs for what the Sig costs...

This is something nobody really thinks about. If you're involved in a shooting, your pistola may sit neglected for a long time in an evidence locker. With a KelTec you can afford another to carry until you get the first back, and the price won't make you weep should your first one come back rusted and mistreated.

I had one myself, and a lot of guys bought them for second guns. Cost was right, 9mm instead of .380 or .32, and they work.

tackstrp
01-21-2011, 04:03 PM
will have to rent a kel tec 9mm or find some one on the range that will let me shoot theirs. Curious about the recoil. Can't be worst than a Seecamp 32 ACP, or as painful as a Seecamp 380

S.R.Custom
01-21-2011, 04:13 PM
This is something nobody really thinks about. If you're involved in a shooting, your pistola may sit neglected for a long time in an evidence locker. With a KelTec you can afford another to carry until you get the first back, and the price won't make you weep should your first one come back rusted and mistreated.

If you get it back at all.

Over the years I've carried a lot of metal through the woods on hunting/camping/hiking/fishing trips, and I've gotten damned tired carrying boat anchors on my belt all day. In addition to social work, the KelTec is my woods gun these days if I'm going to be on my feet all day.

...Curious about the recoil. Can't be worst than a Seecamp 32 ACP, or as painful as a Seecamp 380

It's worse. For its power to weight ratio, it's almost as bad as a .44 BullDog or Smith model 360 when shot full power.

tackstrp
01-21-2011, 04:37 PM
It's worse. For its power to weight ratio, it's almost as bad as a .44 BullDog or Smith model 360 when shot full power.

Thanks, most informative. Recoil part of reason not pleased with my P3AT but dang it shoots good, and when can use the CT I am a crack shot .Regardless the CT as a training aid for point and shoot training has been great. Made me a much better shot, point and shoot that is . Eye sight terrible so point and shoot about all i can do.

Have a AIM point micro red dot i put on my Glock 17L and can move it to my Taurus 357 608 with 8 3/8 barrel. That makes for bulleys shooting for a blind man.

tackstrp
01-21-2011, 04:48 PM
I enjoy reloading and spend many more hours at the reloading bench than shooting. When I go to the range i take about 500 rounds of various calibers.

So i dont like to get beat up. First time i fired the Sig p238, said to myself what a pleasure, not much more than a Walther PP in 22 calibler. My Taurus with the long barrel tames any magnum load. Same with the Glock 17L. Have a Glock 29, recoil not painful at all, but till learning how to recover for next shot. It sees to twist to the left and up.. Hate firing at the indoor range, dont want to lose my 10 MM brass. Expensive.

JIMinPHX
01-21-2011, 05:58 PM
I have some experience with the Ruger LCP & the little Keltecs. The Ruger LCP is a better quality gun overall. It is just made better than the Keltecs that I have seen. Any of them carry like a dream. You can forget that you even have them with you. The little belt clip that screws onto the Keltec makes it very easy to carry completely hidden inside the waist band with no holster. You can even get away without a belt sometimes, depending on what type of pants you wear.

A .380 cal gun in that size is more than a bit snappy. They are not at all comfortable to shoot, but they will let you hit an adversary at short range. The .32acp version of the Keltec is much easier to control & therefore tends to give much better accuracy. If I remember correctly it holds 1 or 2 extra rounds compared to the P3AT.

The early Keltecs has a few issues with things like firing pin rebound springs that were too strong & caused a lot of misfires. Most of those issues seem to have been ironed out in the newer versions. Any of the Keltecs can be sent back to the factory by the original owner for free repairs. They seem glad to tune them up right if you send them in. The price of the Keltec is certainly reasonable.

I don't remember the web address, but there is a keltec owner's website out there that lists all kinds of good information on them.

scrapcan
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
here is the link tot he kel tec owners group

http://www.ktog.org/

Geraldo
01-21-2011, 06:24 PM
will have to rent a kel tec 9mm or find some one on the range that will let me shoot theirs. Curious about the recoil. Can't be worst than a Seecamp 32 ACP, or as painful as a Seecamp 380

I don't recall my Seecamp .32 as having bad recoil. The 9mm Kel-Tec had a squarish grip, which didn't make it the most comfortable to shoot, but it wasn't the worst either.

If you're just plinking and don't care for a lot of recoil in a long range session, a 1911 in 9mm is like shooting a cap gun. ;)

Dannix
01-21-2011, 06:27 PM
So why not just go the PF-9 or PM-9 route? Why should I be excited? (I'm not being sarcastic. I just don't know the the Ruger or Sig bring to the table.)

I take aluminum cased CCI Blazer ammo, pull the bullets
That is a brilliant idea.

I need to do something about the grip of my P-32. I'm thinking about somehow adding on a very significant frontstrap, so I can grip it while remaining nice and thin.

Dannix
01-21-2011, 06:28 PM
So why not just go the PF-9 or PM-9 route? Why should I be excited? (I'm not being sarcastic. I just don't know what the Ruger or Sig bring to the table, if anything.)

I need to do something about the grip of my P-32. I'm thinking about somehow adding on a very significant frontstrap, so I can grip it while remaining nice and thin.

I'd love a mini-Glock. I don't think it's going to happen with today's importation laws (look at the craziness Tarus has to do with their stubbies).

I take aluminum cased CCI Blazer ammo, pull the bullets
That is a brilliant idea.

watkibe
01-22-2011, 03:55 PM
"Ruger is advertising the C9 to be out feb 1." - tackstrp

Looked at the Ruger website last nite, first time in quite a while. They are promising February delivery of LC9 (like LCP, right ?). This is what you mean ? Slightly bigger than the LCP, but in 9mm.

I've been trying to decide between Kel Tec, Taurus, and Ruger; I too am tired of always lugging around a big piece of stainless steel filled with 357 mags all day, every day.

Then I realized, all my current handguns are Rugers. Why am I trying to decide ? I have had Rugers, S&Ws, Charter Arms, Jennings (ug!), Rossi, and High Standards in my time. The keepers have all been Rugers.

But then it's taken me 30 years of shooting to decide to try out a semi auto instead of a revolver...

S.R.Custom
01-22-2011, 05:54 PM
I was just looking at the Ruger exploded parts diagram for the LC9, and comparing it to that of the KelTec PF-9, which I've also had apart a few times. While the Ruger is certainly finished in a more refined manner, the construction is almost identical, and many of the parts look like they may even be interchangeable.

I'm guessing a fair amount of borrowing & licensing going on.

JIMinPHX
01-22-2011, 06:32 PM
The Ruger website said C9 the other day. Now it says LC9.

Missoulaz28
01-22-2011, 06:39 PM
I was just looking at the Ruger exploded parts diagram for the LC9, and comparing it to that of the KelTec PF-9, which I've also had apart a few times. While the Ruger is certainly finished in a more refined manner, the construction is almost identical, and many of the parts look like they may even be interchangeable.

I'm guessing a fair amount of borrowing & licensing going on.

I've been wondering for a while how many of the Kel-Tec designs will be coming out with a Ruger name on them. Like you said there is an obvious connection going on between the two.

tackstrp
01-22-2011, 07:14 PM
I will wait until i can rent or borrow. Have purchased a several guns this past two years, and after first trip to the range, decided to sell at the next gun show. All pocket guns. Think my eyes get glased or just brain dead when see new toys. Today my favoriate pocket gun is the Sig P238, tomorrow is a question mark.

JIMinPHX
01-23-2011, 02:05 AM
Today my favoriate pocket gun is the Sig P238, tomorrow is a question mark.

My favorite pocket gun is a full size 1911

:kidding:

tackstrp
01-23-2011, 11:08 AM
yes the light weight kel tec are great for carry, almost zero weight . But light guns bite my fingers. The P238 Sig is like shooting a small 22 caliber but the Kel tec p3at 380 can get painful after a few rounds.. I keep telling myself it is me not the gun, and to remember to just use the tip of my finger. Two reasons less bite and not shoot to the left with excess finger.

Gee_Wizz01
01-23-2011, 07:23 PM
My favorite pocket gun is a full size 1911

:kidding:

Jim you must have BIG pockets!

G

Digger
01-23-2011, 09:45 PM

Been using the Keltec P-11 the last few years and just came back from the range today with it , been loading Mihec's 125 gr hp over 2.4 gr of WST , (as in my avatar) .... it makes it one sweet little shooter.
With Hogue Handall grips it is one nice little gun .
Quite a few people don't like them for their double action only function but once you get used to it ... I consider it a safety factor also as the trigger pull is long and deliberate , no light touch ... oop's
As cost factor was mentioned ... oh well , get another !
Also have the same pistol in 40 s+w , that is another story all together ...
digger