PDA

View Full Version : Casting bullets in Nebraska

hydraulic
01-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Casting

captain-03
01-20-2011, 10:57 PM
WOW!! Hardy soul!! Do not think I am up for that!!

bdbullets
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM
I live in South Central Nebraska and there is no way no how would I cast bullets outside right now. As I am writing this we got 5 inches of new snow yesterday and the temp. outside is 4 degreees.

*Paladin*
01-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Dang! I thought I was tough casting in my garage as 20 some degrees! You sir, are hardcore!

RobS
01-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Sweet..........the extent we'll go. You are addicted :)

btroj
01-21-2011, 12:04 AM
I live in Nebraska but cast in the garage.
You are just nuts. Just plain nuts. I don't even like to go out and shoot in this weather much less cast outdoors in it.

beanflip
01-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Very strong addiction in this case he needs help :kidding:

quasi
01-21-2011, 01:09 AM
that looks familiar, but I have not done it in the cold since I got a heated garage.

bowfin
01-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Don't turn down the heat on your pot, hydraulic. Your boolits look frosty because it's actual frost on them!

Those guys up in the Niobrara / Ponca area in Northeast Nebraska are a whole different breed of cat, any of the rest of us Cornhuskers can tell you that. Temperature up there this morning had to be, what? 5 degrees?

Most of the casters up there use only virgin lead in their mix, and to ensure it is not recycled, they get it from the Missouri river themselves, panning for it like gold. In the winter months, the shores of the river freeze over. Then the hopeful caster must use an auger or an axe to cut a hole in the ice, swish a pan or two of gravel, then move over a foot and cut another hole to repeat the process.

A good day's panning in the winter will get them enough lead for a half dozen or so .358" boolits, although nuggets of Galena as big as a man's thumb have been found. Unfortunately, almost all of these bigger lead nuggets (and half of the smaller ones) are contaminated with gold, which drives up the melting point of their alloy and drops a boolit far heavier than calculated by the mold makers. Worse yet, the gold sinks below the lead, bottom pouring means that the first dozen or so boolits run almost 24 carat and are practically worthless for any serious shooting.

Some of the more unsavory characters in those parts will throw all of their golden rejects in a five gallon bucket and then cover them up with wheelweights. They then sell the bucket by the pound to some rube from Omaha who doesn't know any better. Then the victim gets home and find that barely half of his haul is useable lead alloy.:mad:

bigjake
01-21-2011, 01:57 AM
I used to think that melting lead automaticly gave off poison fumes.
What temp should we stay under to be safe from lead fumes?
I used to cast outside or with a strong fan blowing, it made it much harder. It cooled down the molds and melt, not to mention the brutal cold and the stifling heat in mid summer.

arjacobson
01-21-2011, 02:44 AM
They always said the big "N" on the huskers shirts stood for nowledge..LOL

lwknight
01-21-2011, 02:50 AM
bofin, I think you been sniffing fumes from the cooper nuclear plant. That hard melting galena is probably uranium.

OK joking off:

Bigjake , lead will not make fumes at the temperatures that we use for casting.
I don't know where it starts but, up to 800 degrees ( which is too hot really ) its safe.

chris in va
01-21-2011, 03:14 AM
If it doesn't give off fumes, what is that sweet, metallic smell when I cast?

waksupi
01-21-2011, 04:16 AM
If it doesn't give off fumes, what is that sweet, metallic smell when I cast?

That is the pot itself. Lots of stuff going on there, and steel has a much stronger scent than most other metals. That, along with heating of wiring, and other parts or alloy contaminations make the main part of your odor. I know one old blacksmith that can tell you what kind of steel he has in his hand by smelling it.

x101airborne
01-21-2011, 09:14 AM
If I ever thought of a Ranger tab for casting..... you earned it. I hope you posed for the pic, then ran back inside.

btroj
01-21-2011, 09:38 AM
And worse yet, he got someone else to come outside and take a photo!

And does dropping them into the snow and ice count as water dropping?

kir_kenix
01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm also from central Nebraska (though I'm living in Omaha right now for school) and I've done some casting like that outside. Decided it was better to use the basement with a fan or my garage after a few sessions in the severe cold. You are pretty hardcore to be doing much casting outside in this whether!

arjacobson
01-21-2011, 12:56 PM
columbus huh? My inlaws have a farm in Shelby.. We go there a few times every year to shoot.. small world

leadman
01-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Pretty tough to water quench your bullets when the bucket keeps freezing over!

bowfin
01-21-2011, 04:51 PM
columbus huh? My inlaws have a farm in Shelby.. We go there a few times every year to shoot.. small world

Well, we're happy to play have the friendly Iowegians come visit us!

arjacobson
01-21-2011, 05:13 PM
will do-come on out to the farm and we can do some shooting!!!

hydraulic
01-21-2011, 10:22 PM
It was 6 degrees above yesterday and there wasn't any wind blowing, for the first time in a couple of weeks. With a warm-up like that, I had to seize the opportunity because the lever-rifle silhouette match in Wagner, SD, is only three weeks away, and I don't know if I'll get another spell of good weather before that. Our January shoot was last Sunday; l3 degrees and 15mph out of the south east. Luckily, we were shooting toward the north.

hydraulic
01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
It was 6 above, yesterday, and no wind blowing, for the first time in a couple of weeks, so I figured I had better seize the opportunity to get a couple hundred 31141's cast up, because the lever rifle silhouette match in Wagner, SD, is only three weeks away and I might not get any more favorable weather before that. We had our January match last Sunday. It was 13 above with a south east wind at 15mph. Luckily we were shooting toward the north. My nephew won it with a 27/40 and I tied with two others for second, 24/40. Why don't all you Iowans and Nebraskans come up and shoot with us Feb 20?

hydraulic
01-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Thought I had erased it so I did it over.

btroj
01-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Send me a map.to the range and some dates. I may try to make a mach or two this year. Leveractio. Silhouette. Is a good time.

noylj
01-21-2011, 11:49 PM
Lead fumes are a problem when you reach the boiling point of lead--3180F.
At less then 800F, the vapor pressure of lead is only 10^-8 mm Hg. Your only concern is the heavy metal dust you generate. Keep it swept up and wash your hands.

bhn22
01-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Quit bragging about Nebraska. The words starting to get out, and we don't need any more refugees from the outside world. It was bad enough when ABC News named Nebraska "The happiest place in the nation".

Ummm, it ain't true. we're worse off than any other place. Go back home... everybody's sick here. Yeah, with the flu. Corn flu, that's it. Very contagious... Iowa should move further away.

btroj
01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
No, we actually need Iowa. It is sort of a buffer between us and Illinois.

felix
01-22-2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah, Iowa, Wisconsin, Missouri, and NewJersey make up for good buffering. By the way, how did the NewJersey get in there? Arkansas and Louisana must have been Republican at the time, eh? ... felix

1Shirt
01-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Always enjoy Iweegin's comments!!!! They mean well, but you know, just don't have it all in one sock.
1Shirt!:coffee:

bhn22
01-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Okay, Iowa can stay. But they may need to be immunized against corn flu. They also keep Minnesota in place, sort of. Imagine the consequences if MN moved further to the south. They could defrost and cause lowland flooding.

wallenba
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
Nebraska? I was born there, left there, not much better here.
Get some firring strips and make yourself a frame around your work area, then staple some clear plastic sheet around it, leaving it open on top and cut a slit in the back for a door. It will keep the wind off. Temporary and cheap. More Nebraska disrespect at 2:02 in the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWtEQzyMkQk
Just kiddin' ya know!

arjacobson
01-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Nebraska-state tree is a telephone pole......reason why the speedlimit is so high!!!LOL

bhn22
01-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Look who's talking! Iowas is the windmill. I once had a guy from Missouri tell me that he turned down a job offer from Nebraska. He drove to the interview and realized there wasn't a decent tree in the whole state. If he had gone just a little further north he would have seen the Nebraska National Forest (seriously).

I probably just set us up for more Ioweegan jokes... It's okay folks, they'll all be one liners.

kir_kenix
01-22-2011, 09:33 PM

I lived in Shelby for a little while, and we own some property just north of there. I graduated from Osceola, 6 miles west of there. Give me a holler next time you come that way, I've got a permenant bench and targets set up out to 1200 yards you can use if the roads arn't too muddy (and the corn isn't too high to shoot over).

Jon Schram

btroj
01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Well, some of us in NE have the good sense to cast in the garage.

25 pounds of Lee 200 swc for the 1911 and 12.5 pounds of Lee 158 swc for 357. Sad things is they won't last very long. Lead seems to go down range way too quickly. What is up with that?

arjacobson
01-22-2011, 09:48 PM
I lived in Shelby for a little while, and we own some property just north of there. I graduated from Osceola, 6 miles west of there. Give me a holler next time you come that way, I've got a permenant bench and targets set up out to 1200 yards you can use if the roads arn't too muddy (and the corn isn't too high to shoot over).

Jon Schram
Just north of Shelby?? the inlaws farm is the Mcmeekin farm.. Dalene is my Mother in law..You know them??

hydraulic
01-22-2011, 10:20 PM
BTROJ: The range is 5 miles north, 2 east, and 1 north of Wagner, SD. Shoot start at noon on the 3rd Sunday of each month, regardless of the weather.

btroj
01-22-2011, 10:35 PM
I will have to try and make it. I gave up other forms of competitive shooting due to so many jerks running the matches. I have found that the lever action silhouette crowd is pretty laid back and fun.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I didn't do any casting today, here in Sunny Cal, but went to a funeral instead. The tempature was in the low eighties.

BeemerMark
01-23-2011, 11:35 AM
I live in South Central Nebraska and there is no way no how would I cast bullets outside right now. As I am writing this we got 5 inches of new snow yesterday and the temp. outside is 4 degreees.

Just think, you don't have to water quench:bigsmyl2:

arjacobson
01-23-2011, 01:18 PM
yeah it's below zero actual temp here in Iowa...geting cabin fever pretty bad....

noylj
01-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Nebraska is the only state that has NO native trees. None, Zip, nada, zero.
I remember a documentary about the Platt (?) River and they showed the only natural waterfall in NE. It was about 2-3' drop. Very pretty.
You know you are in farm country when you stop for gas at night and the whole ground is teeming with critters and you "crunch" as you walk.

bhn22
01-23-2011, 07:16 PM
No waterfalls, meshes neatly with the description "Great Plains". A plain is a flat area of land, "great" is a synonym for "large'. I do not understand the statement about "native" trees. We actually have a lot of trees, they're just not really big ones. Missouri really does have some big trees for example. We do not crunch when we walk, and I don't understand that part either.

btroj
01-23-2011, 07:31 PM
The state also has lots of public hunting lands. We have lots of land, few people. Good people too.
Is it a beautiful state compared to mountain or great lake states? Hard to say. But there is nothing like standing on high ground in the sand hills and seeing nothing but open rolling hills of grass. Not a fence, tree, road, etc in sight. It is awe inspiring to imagine what it took for early settlers to go thru the sand hills region. And no other state has them.
As for trees, who need them? They just block the horizon.

hydraulic
01-23-2011, 10:01 PM
Cottonwoods, Ash, Hackberry, Walnut and a slew of others are native to Nebraska, and they grow pretty darn big. I have seen Cottonwood stumps 8 feet in diameter. I burn wood, as you will notice in the picture, and there is such an abundance of good firewood I actually have ranchers fighting over me to cut on their place. Of course, this is in the eastern part of the state. And we have Snake River Falls, Smith Falls, Fort Falls, and a few others that are bigger than than 3 feet. Smith Falls is over 80 ft. tall. We don't have mountains or beaches or famous historical sites, but we have something much better: West of Omaha, there AREN'T ANY PEOPLE!!!

btroj
01-23-2011, 10:30 PM
Yep, no people west of Omaha. 11 counties with fewer than 1000 people.if you want rural, this is one of the best states. We know how to grow a great steak too!

bhn22
01-23-2011, 11:29 PM
2/3s of the population is in the eastern 1/4 of the state. I live in the second largest city, which we simply refer to as the University City of Nebraska, because they own everything, including our Mayor and the City Council. Please keep quiet about Nebraska, we don't need the locusts from the coasts moving here and screwing everything up like they did their own states, and every place else they've gone to.

1Shirt
01-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Famous people from Ne. to name a few include: Henry Fonda (Jane was not born here), Yul Brenner, Fred Astair, Dorthy Malone, Gerald Ford, Malcom X, etc. Of course everybody has to be born some place I guess. AND------If you haven't seen the sandhills of Nebraska, you have really missed something special!

bowfin
01-24-2011, 12:10 PM
I was back in Ohio a few years back, conducting a training seminar for my company. As an icebreaker, I asked if anyone had ever been to Nebraska, and what they thought of it. One lady said, "I was there, and I couldn't buy unleaded gas at the gas station!"

"When were you there?"

"It was about 1973, I think..."

They also looked at me funny when I ordered a red beer at the restaurant that night.

wallenba
01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
My mother always liked telling people "we lived near Oh my God Nebraska, right on the misery river". Always liked that one.

bigjake
01-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Cottonwoods, Ash, Hackberry, Walnut and a slew of others are native to Nebraska, and they grow pretty darn big. I have seen Cottonwood stumps 8 feet in diameter. I burn wood, as you will notice in the picture, and there is such an abundance of good firewood I actually have ranchers fighting over me to cut on their place. Of course, this is in the eastern part of the state. And we have Snake River Falls, Smith Falls, Fort Falls, and a few others that are bigger than than 3 feet. Smith Falls is over 80 ft. tall. We don't have mountains or beaches or famous historical sites, but we have something much better: West of Omaha, there AREN'T ANY PEOPLE!!!

I use wood to heat also. I find cottonwood to be the worst for firewood, and ash to be one of the best

bhn22
01-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Oh! Gunshow in Lincoln this weekend.

MtGun44
01-28-2011, 02:53 PM
+1 on noylj.

"Lead fumes" is a total myth at casting temps.

KCSO
01-28-2011, 03:31 PM
I suppose you need more lead now????

hydraulic
01-28-2011, 10:13 PM
KCSO: Always grateful for charitable donations to the poor and deprived, alloy-wise.

Gun show this weekend in Yankton, SD, suburb of Crofton, Nebraska.

Cloudpeak
01-29-2011, 12:28 AM
AND------If you haven't seen the sandhills of Nebraska, you have really missed something special!

I spent time in the Sandhills and fell in love with a cutie who grew up on a ranch 45 miles south of Valentine. We've been married just shy of 42 years.

I spent 35 years in the cattle business in Lexington and moved to Wyoming after the city father's sold the town's lifestyle down the tube for $$$$ to IBP (now Tyson foods.)

Nebraska balances it's books on the back of agriculture. Last I looked, Nebraska was number 43 in taxes (right up there with New York.) One reason I quit the cattle business was the exorbitant taxes on land. The other reason--my town turned into a cesspool.

I like casting in Wyoming.

ghh3rd
01-29-2011, 04:35 PM
hydraulic - your gloves serve a dual purpose in conditions like that. Heavy layers of clothes help with protection too. Perhaps we should all go out and cast in the snow?!

exile
01-29-2011, 05:33 PM
12 years ago I came to Nebraska with some friends to visit a woman they knew, since I did not have anything to do for Thanksgiving. We were engaged one week later and married five months after that. Have lived in Nebraska for 8 1/2 years now. Being born and raised in Kansas, I still miss it though!

exile

legend
01-29-2011, 09:37 PM
I lived in plattsmouth for five wonderful years,was in the SAC ELITE GUARD (now a different name) at offutt,great people!!

IT'S A FINE LINE BETWEEN HOBBY AND INSANITY.................
YOU MIGHT HAVE CROSSED IT. SOME OF THE REST OF US DID.....

KCSO
01-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Have a box of w/w ingots for you if you stop by, tried to drop them off and missed you.

bhn22
01-30-2011, 10:22 PM
Well, the Lincoln show was a disappointment. Sales were pretty good on small ticket items, but higher end guns ($450.00 +) weren't moving well at all. I went to the show with 3 moulds to sell, didn't sell any, and returned with a total of 6 moulds. Something went wrong somewhere. It's a good thing I primarily attend shows for social purposes.

btroj
01-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, that is good to hear.I had to work this weekend and would hate to hear I missed a good show.
Shows around here seem to have the same stuff year after year.

Brad

bhn22
01-31-2011, 10:22 AM
True. I don't know how many times I've seen the same old stuff, on the same old tables, but with continuously updated pricing. It's important to not just give everything away, but the idea of charging less for something you really need to move hasn't taken root. I suppose that's somewhat necessary to counteract the guy who goes from table to table, offering half of what ever you have your merchandise priced at. They guys in my group don't even negotiate with these guys anymore, the just say "no, thank you", and disengage.

1Shirt
01-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Also missed the Lincoln show, was in Reno for the SCI convention. Handled $150,000.00 double rifles and hope I didn't leave any drool on them. With but few exceptions there were nothing but the real high roller there. Know now how the poor church mouse felt when he went to the big city. Seems like I have seen a number of the same stuff, including same guns at some of the shows, in some cases for two or three years. Funny, how I have noticed that some of the same guns that were not sold two or three years ago, have increased in value-----at least in the asking price.

blackthorn
01-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Quote:"Seems like I have seen a number of the same stuff, including same guns at some of the shows, in some cases for two or three years."
Maybe these guys go to the shows more "for social purposes"?

bowfin
01-31-2011, 01:29 PM
spent 35 years in the cattle business in Lexington and moved to Wyoming after the city father's sold the town's lifestyle down the tube for $$$$ to IBP (now Tyson foods.)

I think my uncle was one of those city fathers who did so.

Lexington used to look like a neighborhood out of "Leave it to Beaver" or "Ozzie and Harriet". Now it reminds me of East St. Louis without the English language. However, the Heartland Museum of military vehicles is worth a stop...just don't go into town.

bhn22
01-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Quote:"Seems like I have seen a number of the same stuff, including same guns at some of the shows, in some cases for two or three years."
Maybe these guys go to the shows more "for social purposes"?

Kinda silly to have the BATF put the screws to you to get an FFL for a social purpose.
Most of these guys are dealers. There were only about 10 vendors without licenses, if you don't count the jerky guy, roasted nuts lady, and the Chinese jewelry sellers.

Now, in Nebraska, even private citizens must collect sales tax & turn it over to the state & local Governments. They're going to start hitting flea markets, bake sales, and even garage sales. I wish them luck with this.

grubbylabs
02-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Yup it does not matter how cold it gets out side I still cast outside :bigsmyl2: in the garage with the wood stove going full bore. even without insulation its gets close to 70 I think.

1Shirt
02-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Bowfin, You are right about Lex. Used to shoot front stuffers out there with "Lex Gopher Smokers". Now like you said, east St. Louis, south of the border style! It's a shame!!!!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

ChuckS1
02-01-2011, 07:07 AM
If I ever thought of a Ranger tab for casting..... you earned it. I hope you posed for the pic, then ran back inside.

Sewn on with white thread... :mrgreen:

Tom R
02-01-2011, 03:35 PM
I was outside yesterday night smelting lead from a gunsmiths test tube. "mostly shotguns" FYI that sucked. Lots of plastic and fiber wads that were smashed in lead chunks. It all looks like dirt. It is very heavy dirt. I was able to get part of a5 gallon bucket done about a third and it got me about 17 pounds. I am hopping the farther down i get in the bucket the more lead I find.
BTW I live in Bennet Nebraska "10 min from Lincoln"

btroj
02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
No smelting for me today. I'm in enough trouble already. Wife came home and knew I had been casting in the garage because she smelt it.

Too cold to smelt outside, plus it is hard to get a good melt when a snow drift forms in the pot!

hydraulic
02-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Good gun show in Yankton this weekend. This is a Dakota Territorial show so there wasn't any beef jerky, gloves, chinese tools, etc. that you see at a lot of others. I had a table there-not much to put on it but I'm one of the "social" types. Did sell two Krag's that I have hauled around the last couple of years, obviously overpriced, but when I got the price down they sold. Still made enough to pay my table rent and some gas. Along came KCSO on Sunday and left me about 20 lbs. of WW's in ingots. Bought some primers and powder from 3 Lee's out of Grand Island. $26 for LP Winchesters and $20 for IMR 4895. I don't have an FFL so I only deal in pre 1898 long guns and small stuff I can find at garage sales. Spent most of my time talking to old buddies from the last 35 years of gun showing. (Gun showing! I think that's a verbal, maybe a participle or gerund. Anyone know?) Looked it up- it's a gerund. Talked to Doc Carlson from Upper Missouri Trading Company for half an hour. He says I'm the winner of the Doc Carlson look-alike contest. He took second place.

1Shirt
02-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Doc's quite a guy! Have known him and Dee for many years.