PDA

View Full Version : boolits getting shaved a little...

dunkel
01-20-2011, 10:13 PM
So it's been a while since I posted here...between the holidays, work, the weather, etc, I just haven't had the time I had before. However, that doesn't mean I haven't been making time for my favorite hobby.

Anyway, I've been trying out the boolits that members here have been kind enough to allow me to sample and I've noticed that I'm getting a little lead shaving when seating the boolit into the case. I'm use a Lee Loader. It doesn't seem to happen on every round, but maybe 50% of the time. I am using the flaring tool that comes with the kit. I realize I'm still fairly new to this, so my technique is probably to blame. I guess I'm more concerned about whether it's going to actually cause any problems of any kind. I've just been using my thumbnail to scrape off the little shavings and then putting them in the box.

Thanks.

220swiftfn
01-20-2011, 10:15 PM
Try belling the case a little more, and setting the boolit straight. That should help...

Dan

Down South
01-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Belling the case just a tad more usually cures the problem.

*Paladin*
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Yup. A little more bell and you should be good...

truckmsl
01-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Another solution may be to chamfer the inside of the case with an inside chamfer tool. This worked for me when I had some occasional shaving. I was using an M die and preferred not to add a bell. Apparently, some of my cases had developed a slight lip on the inside of the mouth.

fredj338
01-22-2011, 03:53 AM
The other issue can be seating crimping at the same time. With lead bullets, the crimp is being applied while the bullet is still being seated. Depending on dies & caliber, this can cause lead shaving too. Bad side, accuracy suffers & the small lead sliver can cause chambering issues.

geargnasher
01-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Good call, Fred.

Also, use an "M" expander die of the correct dimension for your application, and use a "VLD" inside chamfer tool, it's a much shallower angle than the common 45* of most chamber/deburr tools.

Gear

stubert
01-22-2011, 10:01 AM
I have had good luck with Lee's universal expanding die.

Doc Highwall
01-22-2011, 03:17 PM
Here is a picture I down loaded that shows the difference between just flaring the case mouth vs using a Lyman M-die. The M-die will start the bullet straighter and also make the bullet seating pressure more even and is all I use and even make my own for my bullet dimensions.

Centaur 1
01-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I have had good luck with Lee's universal expanding die.

Mine just arrived yesterday and it really seems to work great. Until now I've been using an old plumb bob to give a little added flair when needed.

dunkel
01-25-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm using a Lee Loader, so would think it's going in straight. The die should have everything lined up pretty well, shouldn't it?

I'm thinking the flaring tool isn't flaring the neck quite enough, but I'm just using the one it came with...perhaps I should get a little more aggressive with the plastic mallet on that particular step of the process...

01-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Here is a picture I down loaded that shows the difference between just flaring the case mouth vs using a Lyman M-die. The M-die will start the bullet straighter and also make the bullet seating pressure more even and is all I use and even make my own for my bullet dimensions.

Excellent, Doc.

Hopefully, this will make more members aware of the advantages of the M die.

georgewxxx
01-25-2011, 12:38 PM
If your Lee tool doesn't quite do the job flaring, use a needle nosed pliers or something similar . A couple of twists inside the case neck and a little hand pressure will do the job. It won't be as even as a M die but it will cure your lead shaving.

If you end up with too much flair and the rounds don't chamber as easy as you'd like, try and run the case in your sizing chamber far enough to flatten it ridge back down. inexpensive Lee hand tools work well, but sometimes need a little tweaking to get the job done. ...Geo

243winxb
01-25-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm using a Lee Loader, The Lee Classic "Hammer" loaded does not expand the inside of the neck.

dunkel
01-26-2011, 12:45 AM
The Lee Classic "Hammer" loaded does not expand the inside of the neck.

What's the flaring tool do?

Wayne Smith
01-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I'll bet you have the bench rest kit. I think it includes a neck flare tool. It only gives a little flare, it's made for bullets, not cast.

243winxb
01-26-2011, 12:34 PM
The bench rest kit/rifle, does not have a flaring tool, only pistols. The Hammer loader uses the bullet as the expander in rifle or pistol. The target model rifle loader has a reamer to open the neck area to the correct diameter. They load ammo, but not well. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/LeeLoader_20090208_001.jpg

243winxb
01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
What's the flaring tool do? Lee's opens the case mouth when loading for pistol. If you dont have enough flare, you will shave lead. But if the bullet is not entering straight , you still still shave lead. What caliber are you loading? This is what a RCBS expander looks like, it also bells/flares the case mouth. http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n420/joe1944usa/expander_1.jpg

Ben
01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
dunkel:

I don't think you mentioned what caliber you're loading ? ?

Get your self a tapered punch like this at your local hardware store. A couple of soft taps with this on the neck of the case and you'll get a good flare and hopefully your " shaving " will come to an end :

http://home.comcast.net/~alloy-artifacts/Photos/tools/plomb_punch_taper_8in_ptmc_f_cropped_inset.jpg

Doc Highwall
01-26-2011, 08:51 PM
What is important in the picture that 243winxb posted is the length of the .356" diameter that should be at least the length of the bullet that is seated and controls bullet tension and the flair to start the bullet with out shaving.

dunkel
01-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I'm loading .357.

For the time being, I'll probably just stick with the stock kit, but I know if I'm going to stick with this, I'll need to look at some other tools. Powder funnel, for starters, lol. I'll definitely look into some of the other flaring tool options, though.

Thanks, guys.

mnkyracer
01-28-2011, 01:15 AM
Had the same problem recently. Bought a Lone wolf barrel for my glock 21 specifically to shoot cast. However, loads that would chamber in the stock barrel would not seat in the LW. Cause, not enough bell to start allowing a small amount of lead at the front of the case. Shell was trying to headspace on the lead, not the case.

243winxb
01-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Lee's Classic "hammer" Loader uses the bullets as an expander. This works with J (jacketed) bullets better than lead. If you are getting bullet noses that are deformed on seating, you know what i am talking about.