PDA

View Full Version : This is worthy of Shooters.com. Trust me

Recluse
01-20-2011, 10:08 PM
http://www.airshowbuzz.com/videos/view.php?v=1bf99434&br=500

This link will take you to a preview of a film called "Gray Eagles" and it is about a WWII ace, Major Jim Brooks, who was actually a double-ace, and almost a triple-ace in the war, and his reuniting with the airplane, February, he flew in missions across Europe.

It turns out that a neighborhood boy that Jim took under his wing years after the war became a pilot as well as a successful businessman and unknowingly bought the very P51 Mustang that Brooks flew in the war.

Throughout the film, there are excerpts with Brooks' three grandchildren and they tell just how much their grandfather and that great generation means to them.

The thing is about 30-minutes long and from the first sixty-seconds until the conclusion, you simply cannot take your eyes off the screen.

The photography is stunning, as is the music and it is narrated by Peter Coyote. There are a few other goodies in the film as well, but I'm not gonna spoil it for you.

It is a fantastic tribute to a member of the greatest generation who put it all on the line so that we have what we have today.

I could think of no better place on this forum to post this than right here. It's that good and that defining of the American spirit.

:coffee:

Digger
01-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Speechless ...... the photography alone is outstanding , and how ironic , it all comes together at this point in time.
A priceless moment to witness .... after so many years , back in the cockpit , and side by side with his original ship.
thank you Recluse for the link ,
digger

oldUSMCsgt
01-21-2011, 12:34 AM
Wow Recluse.
Thanks for sharing.

LAH
01-21-2011, 09:43 AM
Very Good.

hardcase54
01-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Really good movie, thanks

1Shirt
01-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Most Excellent!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Linstrum
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Sometimes I think that coincidences like Major Brooks' plane being owned by a close friend are not coincidences. The odds of that happening - the plane surviving the post World War Two mass scrapping process and then being found by a buddy 60-some years later are extremely high. But it happened.

The sentiments that were explained in the movie have been told to me time after time by every single P-51 pilot I have ever met (I grew up in a very small town with an Air Force base and half the dads of the boys in my Boy Scout Troop were former World War Two vet P-51 pilots). The last P-51 pilot I met was the dad of a friend I worked with 25 years ago, and he told me the last time he flew a P-51 in the military was the day he married my buddy's mom in 1950. He said he was so preoccupied with the wedding that day he accidentally flew through a large power line and was lucky enough to be able to fly the crippled P-51 back to the base in Laramie, Wyoming, and then get married. He said he was late to his wedding from his CO chewing his butt out from there to next Sunday.

rl907

eka
01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
That was outstanding. Thanks so much for posting that.

smoked turkey
01-21-2011, 01:42 PM
Not much more to say after viewing. I don't know if I can see the keyboard to type a response..I seem to have something in my eyes. I am so glad you shared that moment in history. It is sad to know that our greatest generation is getting fewer and fewer. Truly an american hero.

Cherokee
01-21-2011, 08:49 PM
Outstanding. Thanks for posting this.

Zebra
01-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Trust you?
Not further than I can spit!

:wink:

Thanks for sharing!

Frank

Bad Water Bill
01-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Recluse You never cease to amaze me with the great information you share with us. Amazing film. Thanks for sharing.

Bad Water Bill
01-23-2011, 03:55 PM
BTT for those that may have missed it.

Dannix
01-23-2011, 08:30 PM
Great story. Great plane, thought I did noticed it was gelded with only nubs where .50cals should be.

Thanks for sharing!

Philngruvy
01-23-2011, 09:55 PM
great movie. Thanks for sharing with us. There are two Mustangs at Fantasy of Flight in central Fl. What phenominal airplanes they are!

Reloader06
01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Eyes blurry, and I'm speachless. Thank you so much for sharing.

Matt

Gun-adian
01-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Recluse, that was amazing.

Thanks very much.

Mike.