PDA

View Full Version : NAA Cap & Ball Black Powder Revolver

coopieclan
01-20-2011, 01:20 PM
How is the NAA Cap & Ball Black Powder Revolver?
Is it a good replica, historically accurate?
Are they fun?

Geraldo
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Is it a good replica, historically accurate?

It's a good replica of one of their cartridge mini-revolvers. ;) Their design does look similar to some old cartridge hideout guns, but that's about it as far as I know.

Never shot any of their mini-revolvers, so I can't comment on the fun factor.

camerl2009
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
ive never shot one. only mini that i can get here is a canadian earl with a 4.25" barrel

but i wish that made there cap & ball with a 4.25" barrel for canada

anyone know the law's michigan i have family there maybe i'll buy one and keep it there. sorry for the :hijack: lol i like them my self and i want to get one

Old Ironsights
01-20-2011, 06:01 PM
I like mine. I have the "Magnum" variant.

A couple of things:

#1 It's WAAAAAAAAY cheaper to shoot .22 pellet gun pellets out of it than the 60gr swaged conicals they sell.

#2 Believe it or not, Trail Boss works really well in it. (Not a recommendation, don't void your warrantee, YMMV, etc, etc...)

#3 Mine is finicky about caps. The CCIs I have a truckload of require a very firm seating, and even then they don't always go off on first whack (but they always go off). Some old caps of an unremembered brand went "Boom" right off though.

And, yes, it's fun. If you get one, get a spare cylinder though. Much more fun to fire 10 before reloading than just firing 5 & reloading.

Nobade
01-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Will #4 buckshot fit, or is it too big? It sure looks like a cute toy, but then again a remington spur trigger pocket model does too. One of those NAAs would be perfect for mouse hunting here in the shop!

Old Ironsights
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Will #4 buckshot fit, or is it too big? It sure looks like a cute toy, but then again a remington spur trigger pocket model does too. One of those NAAs would be perfect for mouse hunting here in the shop!

Dunno. Never tried #4 buck. if it's .22 or slightly bigger it should.

camerl2009
01-21-2011, 08:07 PM

nope its .240" on the way big side #f lead shot is .220"

a .22 rabbit magnum pellet will work nice i use it for .22 short yes i make my own .22 short just for the fun of it and .22 bb caps with a .22 round ball or #f lead shot

fixit
01-24-2011, 11:23 AM
just a thought on the #4 buckshot. running it through a lee bullet sizer in .224 would give you a good fit for this cylinder, most likely! if you shoot much, it could pay for itself quickly.

Old Ironsights
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Seems like a bag of #f would be cheaper and easier...

Midway, 8# jar of #F is $37... for approximately 3600 balls say... .01 ea?

gotta be cheaper places than midway too...

Here's BPI direct: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-Buckshot-F-8lb-220/productinfo/SBK1F/

(Note, BPI says their buck is HARD... so I'm going to try to get a handfull to see if they will even load...)

WildShot
01-31-2011, 01:00 PM
I don’t have one but from everything that I know about them, they are too much fun to not have. Was in a friends shop the other day and he gave me a mold. Looks to be for buckshot, will measure and if it is close enough to .22 then I will be ordering a gun. Why does free stuff always cost so much?

coopieclan
02-08-2011, 10:16 PM
Well I sent a check today for a used one (magnum)
I can't wait.
I will post a target once I get the gun and get my loads together.

NickSS
02-09-2011, 08:08 AM
I have one of the magnum ones for a bunch of years now and it is fun to shoot but only at close range. Mine has a blade front sight and no real rear sight but at 10 to 15 feet I can hit soda cans almost every time with it. I mostly shoot the 22 shot 29 gr bullets that they sell for them but have tried air rifle pellets and they work too but do not give much penetration. I only use FFFFG in mine and a priming flask works good for putting the powder in the chambers. I have even carried mine in my pocket for a backup gun after all no one wants to be shot even with a pipsqueak load.

coopieclan
02-19-2011, 04:35 PM
I got it today WOW is it small.
When I get some FFFFg powder I will shoot a few targets @ the range.

coopieclan
03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I took the NAA mini cap and ball to the range today.
It worked almost %100.

The caps must be seated all the way, if there is any protrusion of the cap out the back of the cylinder the thing won't spin.

I had one nipple that would not let the cap sit down. So I uncapped that one and fired the other 4 no problem.

Later while cleaning the gun I noticed that the bad chamber's nipple was a 1/4 turn loose. So that's why it stuck out. I cleaned out the powder and boolit, then tightened up that nipple, now the nipple fits like the rest.

But I don't have the aiming of this gun dialed in at all.
@ 5 yards I didn't get all four of my shots onto my 8" wide Shoot N' See.

So I have some target practice to do.

I plan to buy some extra cylinders to get more shots without re-loading.

It is a handsome gun, fun to shoot and very little recoil.

Willbird
03-09-2011, 01:57 PM
I have one of the magnum ones for a bunch of years now and it is fun to shoot but only at close range. Mine has a blade front sight and no real rear sight but at 10 to 15 feet I can hit soda cans almost every time with it. I mostly shoot the 22 shot 29 gr bullets that they sell for them but have tried air rifle pellets and they work too but do not give much penetration. I only use FFFFG in mine and a priming flask works good for putting the powder in the chambers. I have even carried mine in my pocket for a backup gun after all no one wants to be shot even with a pipsqueak load.

I have the 22 magnum cartridge version. With WW dynapoint at 25 yards, using an imaginary rear sight (just picture one there) I can keep 5 rounds on 8-1/2 x 11 typing paer at 25 YARDS....but other ammo either does not shoot as well, or shoots to some unknown POI where they do not hit the paper at 25 yards. The dynapoint is an ugly LOOKING bullet in the loaded rounds...but my gun sure likes it.

So the guns are accurate, NAA has some machine rest data done by HP White labs that supports that theory as well.

Might be that the gun just not like your Boolits.

Geraldo
03-09-2011, 02:04 PM
But I don't have the aiming of this gun dialed in at all.
@ 5 yards I didn't get all four of my shots onto my 8" wide Shoot N' See.

You need to use it as it's meant to be used. Move forward until you can touch your target with the muzzle, then empty it quickly :kidding: Seriously, I'm intrigued enough by the BP version that I've actually looked around for one. The only thing stopping me is that I think I'd shoot a .31 Colt more.

coopieclan
03-09-2011, 04:05 PM
The only thing stopping me is that I think I'd shoot a .31 Colt more.

That's a Pocket Pistol. Are the Uberti (Wells Fargo) Remington types worth it?

And is the conversion cylinder good to use on this caliber?

troy_mclure
03-11-2011, 04:56 AM
i have a .22lr version, im pretty good with the 60gr aguila sss.

ive been keeping an eye out for a used bp one. i saw one at cabelas bargain cave for $99 but couldnt afford it at the time.

willyboy
03-13-2011, 05:52 PM
I have a pair of the ''magnum'' black powder Companions, and two spare cylinders, I use 3F Triple Seven, and they are no pip squeeks.... downright ''barky'' in fact. T7 is reputed to be 10% to 15% more powerfull than BP, and that sure seems to be the case! Just pure fun.

Old Ironsights
03-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I need to find some better caps. Mine usually takes 2 hits to set off the CCI's I have.

coopieclan
03-16-2011, 03:14 PM
North American Arms is a nice company.
I had ordered the wrong cylinder from NAA and they changed it out for the right one for free.
All I paid was shipping.
An extra cylinder lets you load up more shots to take to the range.
And not to be political...How often can you buy something Made In USA? And ask for a return IN ENGLISH! and they are helpful?

W0W

I bought the extra boolits from NAA...I have .22 cal balls (Gamo) to try too...

Un able to find ffffg I have been shooting it with Pyrodex fffg. If I run into any Triple Seven in fff or ffffg I will buy it. For now the powder I have works OK.

Still vague with the accuracy. I can shoot it better with some practice.
The loading is slow with the Lee dipper. I am looking for the right funnel to aid my loading process.

And I have the best fit with Remington #10 caps. I know #11 are specified. I have both and the #10 works better in everything I have!

coopieclan
03-18-2011, 09:45 PM
"I need to find some better caps. Mine usually takes 2 hits to set off the CCI's I have."

I have had almost %100 good ignition with Remington caps (#10 is my new favorite)
I reject some where the primer is missing. Just look inside before you install the cap.

troy_mclure
03-18-2011, 11:01 PM
if you can find them the dynamit nobel caps in the red plastic container fit fairly tight.

waksupi
03-19-2011, 04:25 AM
If they take two hammer falls, they don't fit. If you are going to use different brands of caps, you need to have a set of nipples for each brand, fit properly.

coopieclan
03-19-2011, 02:43 PM
On the subject of capping the NAA Super Companion Cap n' Ball revolver...
I can't use the nice in-line capper I got from Bass Pro Shops on this gun.
I am now more careful about seating the caps.
I set them in place by hand and seat them GENTLY with a Q-tip.
The boolit is facing down range and my fingers are out of the way.

I like Q-tips for cleaning this gun too.

Erich
03-21-2011, 05:39 PM
I recently had some email correspondence from a nice gent at NAA about the caps they like:

With the CCI #11 caps I have actually haven’t heard anything good from customers about their use. I have not tested them myself this is just what I have heard in customer phone calls.

coopieclan
03-25-2011, 09:29 PM
I had a good shooting session with my NAA Super Companion Cap n' Ball Revolver and a cleaning/reloading session too.

1 The Super Cap and Ball shoots better with a hotter load. All I have is Pyrodex fffg.
When I use the 4 gr measure the aim is a little wild. When I put 5 gr in it is more accurate.
I am looking for some fffhg or some 777 to try.

2 Don't try 6 gr of powder, the boolit won't seat.

3 Remington # 10 caps fit best. (CCI not so good)

4 The tolerances are tight, if the cap or the boolit overhang the cylinder it wont spin.

5 Q tips clean this gun very well, I bought all sorts of .22 cleaning things but Q Tips are
perfect.

6 The .22 Gamo air gun balls are too small. You need a bigger ball so it will sit snugly enough.
I don't know what size. I will research this idea.

Old Ironsights
03-25-2011, 10:05 PM
I had a good shooting session with my NAA Super Companion Cap n' Ball Revolver and a cleaning/reloading session too.

1 The Super Cap and Ball shoots better with a hotter load. All I have is Pyrodex fffg.
When I use the 4 gr measure the aim is a little wild. When I put 5 gr in it is more accurate.
I am looking for some fffhg or some 777 to try.

(all the usual disclaimers about smokeless in C&B apply... but) Try Trail Boss. ;)

2 Don't try 6 gr of powder, the boolit won't seat.

3 Remington # 10 caps fit best. (CCI not so good)

4 The tolerances are tight, if the cap or the boolit overhang the cylinder it wont spin.

5 Q tips clean this gun very well, I bought all sorts of .22 cleaning things but Q Tips are
perfect.

6 The .22 Gamo air gun balls are too small. You need a bigger ball so it will sit snugly enough.
I don't know what size. I will research this idea.

I'm using Beeman .22 Pellets. They work fine.

coopieclan
03-26-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm using Beeman .22 Pellets. They work fine.

There are 2 diameters in the cylinder, I guess the airgun pellet goes in the lower part?

Do you use a tool to seat the pellet?

If I see trail boss I'll give it a try.

Thanks for the info Old Ironsights

Old Ironsights
03-26-2011, 03:34 PM
I use the tool that came with the gun, plus a .3cc Lee dipper.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_6552.jpg

Sorry for the camera shake. The pellet seats snugly (compressed powder) aprox 2 mm below the mouth of the chamber.

coopieclan
03-27-2011, 12:58 AM
0h,
I see.
I have used those "Crow Poppers" in my airpistol...they are Huge.
I see how they would go. I had only tried the Gamo round balls.
The film canister is a good container for powder I think I'm going to try that idea.

Damn Big Yank sells pellets on E-Bay. He has good exotic choices in .22

http://myworld.ebay.com/damnbigyank/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

coopieclan
04-07-2011, 04:42 PM
It is quite the job to get my NAA firing on all chambers of my cylinders.
I got the gun used on Gun Broker .com then I got 2 spare cylinders from NAA So I have 2 types of nipples and not everybody goes boom all the time.

coopieclan
04-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Well I fired off some caps and 5 loaded rounds today.
they all went off.
Remington #11 is the correct cap like it says in the manual.
I shot this target @ 5 yards today.
You can see the powder burns and grease spots on the target.
The .22 ball tears through the paper. I should try a target glued to cardboard for better scanning here on the forum