PDA

View Full Version : S&W Brass

bigjake
01-19-2011, 04:17 PM
I was digging through some old 44 mag brass and found a bunch of S&W brass. I bought lots of 44 ammo yrs ago, thats where all my brass comes from, but i dont remember S&W ammo.
Anyone remember S&W boolits? did they make ammo? or just brass? :veryconfu

tanstafl10
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
i am no expert, but over the years i have had some 45 ACP brass stamped S&W. Also just got some 357 mag from my son's friend and about 50 were like new S&W stamped. Even had the blue and white box marked S&W.... pretty fancy artwork on it.

not sure if it is old stuff from a reloader or if it is still available?????? Seems they had a line of factory loads though.

stubshaft
01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
IIRC - Fiocchi was manufacturing ammo for them. I still have a couple of boxes of S&W slugs which were one of the first sabot slugs available.

Mk42gunner
01-19-2011, 05:12 PM
I don't remember shooting any, but I think the pistol ammo came in a dark blue box with the S&W logo on it.

Didn't S&W also market teh ALCAN shotshells in the early 70's? I remember birddogging for Dad when he was dove hunting with Alcan shells.

RObert

deltaenterprizes
01-19-2011, 05:20 PM
I was told it was made by Alcan also.

GLL
01-19-2011, 05:44 PM
http://www.fototime.com/AB2E73EFE3AAD17/standard.jpg

Jerry

AZ-Stew
01-19-2011, 08:50 PM
IIRC - Fiocchi was manufacturing ammo for them.

This is what I recall. It was originally advertised as S&W/Fiocchi ammo. By the time it came on the market, I was handloading. I don't remember ever buying any.

Regards,

Stew

Hardcast416taylor
01-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Not only do I remember it, I shot a bunch of it including the shotgun slugs. As I recall they also had lead bullet ammo that were coated with some kind of polymer so the lead wasn`t open to touch, never did shoot decent for me.Robert

Centaur 1
01-19-2011, 10:11 PM
IIRC - Fiocchi was manufacturing ammo for them. I still have a couple of boxes of S&W slugs which were one of the first sabot slugs available.

Look at the fine print on the box, Fiocchi.

stubshaft
01-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Not only do I remember it, I shot a bunch of it including the shotgun slugs. As I recall they also had lead bullet ammo that were coated with some kind of polymer so the lead wasn`t open to touch, never did shoot decent for me.Robert

Those were the "infamous" teflon boolits that didn't retain rifling marks.

John J
01-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I have a box of S&W 45acp 185 fmjswc for bullseye comp and on the back of the box says

made in the USA

S&W ammunition company
rock creek ohio

these have to be over 20 years old

John J

timkelley
01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Seems to me S&W had a fairly full line of ammo about 30 years ago. I know they had the 'Nyclad' line (plastic coated lead) and I want to say they had some jacketed too.

MtGun44
01-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Still have a couple boxes of .357 Mag 125 HP. They ran just over 1500 fps in my Ruger
Security Six 6", so I keep them for "serious".

Bill

casterofboolits
01-20-2011, 08:57 AM
A friend bought a case of S&W 38 Special ammo thru his brother in law who worked for a local gunshop and shooting range.

Turned out that about 20% of the ammo did not have powder in them. I loaned him my scale so he could weigh a couple boxes and they ended up returning the ammo to the distributor. S&W ammo had a poor reputation.

sav300
01-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Have a few S&W 30-30 cases here.

beagle
01-20-2011, 07:28 PM
I have a bunch of odds n ends of various calibers in my stash. Mostly pistol calibers and some .30/30.

In loading .38 Specials, you can sure tell when you seat a bullet in one. Case must be thicker than normal brass./beagle

felix
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Beagle, yes, that brass is indeed thick! Made to the same specs as Hornady when they came out with loads using their label. If you look at the initial picture in this thread, you will see Olin incognito via Alton IL where the brass operations are. Slugs were made there, sent to case manufactures, and then on the the loading operators if not the same. Thick brass I just chunk because I never have enough to consider a "lot" to reload. In fact, the model 29 I have has very small chambers with wide exit holes, for whatever reason I don't know why the latter because I bought the gun new (I think, but who knows). The S&W cases are too thick to hold 434 boolits, the size of the holes (throats). ... felix

AZ-Stew
01-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Those were the "infamous" Teflon boolits that didn't retain rifling marks.

Seems to me S&W had a fairly full line of ammo about 30 years ago. I know they had the 'Nyclad' line (plastic coated lead) and I want to say they had some jacketed too.

No, they were Nyclad (Nylon-clad) for the purpose of reducing lead dust at indoor police shooting ranges. The Teflon coated bullets were the KTW solid bronze bullets, designed for penetrating soft body armor which the crooks of the day were beginning to use.

They were called "Cop Killers" by the media because they claimed that the ammo was on the open marker (never was) and would be used by criminals to kill police by shooting through their body armor. The weekend after an NBC special on the ammo, two police officers in or near Saint Louis were killed by crooks who shot them in the head after being alerted by the NBC program that the police were wearing body armor.

Regards,

Stew

*Paladin*
01-21-2011, 12:03 AM
I never knew there were S&W cartridges until a few months ago when a buddy gave me some .270 brass that was S&W headstamped. It's good brass anyway...

bigdog454
01-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I have 1 full box (20 rounds) of S&W 30-06

KCSO
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
NYCLAD ammo, it was made so you could shoot a pure lead bullet and still not lead the bore. Later it was picked up by Federal. I wish you could still get it as it was the best snubbie hollow point ammo there was. It expanded well even at lower velocity. As to rifling the rifling went all the way to the lead, i have several recovered slugs.

S and W also made the WORST 22 ammo ever made. In about 1974 my Fater \in Law and I got a bargain and bought about 2000 roounds of S and W 22's. Misfires were on the order of one every 5-10 shots. It took us 20 years to use up that rotten stuff.

FISH4BUGS
01-21-2011, 06:31 PM
I ran a wholesale distributor of guns and ammo in Southern Maine in the mid 70's. In addition to all the usual guns (Ruger, Colt, etc.), we were a S&W distributor. Guns then from S&W were quite hard to get , particularly 19's, 27's, 28' s and most of all, 29's.
I used to tie together the sale of a 29 (when Dirty Harry was big) to the sale of some CASES of S&W ammo. I would say "...well, if you bought X number of cases of S&W ammo, I'll be sure to try my hardest to get you a 29 in the next shipment"....."...you help us and we will help you". Suddenly we would have one to ship with the order. We couldn't GIVE the junk away. Same with their shotguns and associated items like knives etc.
The ammo was junk. No one wanted to buy it. By tying the guns together with cases of ammo sales, we were able to get rid of it. S&W forced us as a distributor to take it in order to get a decent allotment of guns. The dealers that bought it from us ran it out at cost just to dump it. They sold the hard to get S&W's at more than retail to make up for it.
Don't worry - the statute of limitations has run out....that was 35 years ago.

gasboffer
01-21-2011, 06:54 PM
When I was a cop, 60,s, 70,s, and 80,s, at one time we were issued S&W .357 125 gr. JHP. One of our cops shot a guy three times, one center chest, one belt line, and one lower abdomen. SOB died a week later of peritonitis. Another shot a guy four times, center chest with Speer Gold Dot 9mm. He lived, (shot the cop in the thigh), cop walks now with a cane.
Nothing is perfect.\
Clyde

BOOM BOOM
01-22-2011, 01:03 AM
HI,
I have about 600, 357 mag cases. just load & shoot. :Fire::Fire: