PDA

View Full Version : Which Recoil Absorbing Rifle Rest?

leadman
01-19-2011, 01:03 AM
The doctor recommended I quit shooting due to a severly deterioriated spine in my neck. I don't want to give it up yet but am going to shoot more rimfires, but want to continue to shoot light cast bullet loads.

I also want some opinions from those who have experience with rifle rests that absorb the recoil, like the Leadsled and HySkor.

I want something that still allows a somewhat normal hold on the rifle and isn't too hard to get lined back up for the next shot.

Sooo, what are your opinions??

Thanks

Jim
01-19-2011, 09:24 AM
I have a Caldwell Lead Sled weighted with two 9 pound ingots bolted to the tray. It allows me to shoot my "big guns" with out needing to call paramedics to stand by when I commence.
I've found that I can actually get behind it without having to make contact with it, thus not being hit with an F-350.

starnbar
01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm with Jim on the leadsled after having a bad motorcycle wreck my right shoulder is very sensitive to heavy recoil I hurt sometimes for a month or two after shooting without the sled. I shoot 458 and 45/70 off the bench and the sled works great.

Frank
01-19-2011, 10:07 AM
How about put lead in the stock?

deltaenterprizes
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
My machinist teacher had neck problems and could not shoot high powered rifles until he installed muzzle brakes on all of his guns. He sold me on the effectiveness of the muzzle brakes as did shooting a Barrett Light 50, they work!

deltaenterprizes
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Try taking your gun and your rest in the field hunting.
Too much weight in the sled will crack your stock, the guns are designed to recoil, that energy has to go somewhere, it the stock is rigid the action will be driven into the stock like a hammer hitting a nail.

Frank
01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Brakes are expensive. Lead's cheaper. Fill it in a baggie and seal it with silicone. Break out the hi-powered scope and shoot for groups.

Tazman1602
01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
How you gonna crack a kevlar stock Delta? I think leadsleds are the cat's meow and even on my 300 Mag English Walnut stocked rifles haven't had an issue with the stocks cracking.......mainly because the grain is proper and correct in them to begin with.

Hey different strokes for different folks, and if you are younger (under 40)..a lead sled is staring you right in the face man!

NO offense intended man...............I come across bad sometimes...

Cheers,

Art

Try taking your gun and your rest in the field hunting.
Too much weight in the sled will crack your stock, the guns are designed to recoil, that energy has to go somewhere, it the stock is rigid the action will be driven into the stock like a hammer hitting a nail.

leadman
01-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I do have brakes on guns I intend to hunt with, but this is even taking a chance I could do more damage to my neck. All of my upper C vertebra bones are inflamed, discs are deteriorated, fluid build-up, and 3 spots are pushing on my spinal cord. Even my head is not attached too tightly now. Something others have thought for some time! LOL. T-1 vertebra is not in good shape either.
I had 3 injuries to my neck when younger and radiation treatments to a gland in my neck in 1955.
I want to reduce my cast bullet loads in 30 cal rifles to about 1,000 to 1,200 fps and use a recoil absorbing rest to minimize any chance of further damage to my neck. I love to cast and shoot but am sure since I am always tinkering with loads that I will find rimfires boring after awhile.
Not worried about stock damage at these velocity levels. More worried about damage to me!

I loaded some very light loads in a 300 Whisper with GreenDot and the 120gr Lee RN so maybe tomorrow I will get to the range.

I do appreciate your opinions so keep them coming.

Tazman1602
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Leadman dude, do not take a chance with that neck. I am only saying so because I only have two discs left in my neck after a series of three surguries over 25 years. It's mostly titanium now except for C-1 and C-2. If those go I'm just dead because they control lung and heart function.

Docs tell me if that titanium ever lets loose chances are 100% my head has been ripped from my shoulders but a rifle stock is a lot cheaper and less painful than waking up in ICU with tubes entering every orifice, some of which were previously "exit only" and one of which I regularly breath through............

Art

deltaenterprizes
01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Wooden stocks are what I was talking about. But if you look at artillary pieces they are made to be allowed to recoil also.

Jim
01-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Well, the Lead sled slides too. That is, unless you put 80 pounds on it or screw it down.

deltaenterprizes
01-19-2011, 08:02 PM
What does it slide on?

Jim
01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
The shooting bench? Is that what you're asking? I'm confused.

river-rider
01-19-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a Lathi Rifle Evaluator which uses gas cylinder to control recoil. You can use the remote trigger and fire the rifle without even touching the Rifle. You can hug the back of the pocket that holds the rifle butt and use the trigger. The problem is that you have to resight the rifle for each shot. When you change height on the front and tighten it back windage goes to he??. A lot of adjustment for a little shooting. It depends on how much you want to moderate recoil. Lathi unit looks a lot like the HyScor unit.

deltaenterprizes
01-19-2011, 11:09 PM
The shooting bench? Is that what you're asking? I'm confused.

So you have to move the whole rest back into position?

leadman
01-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I'm looking for something that allows me to get behind the gun, absorb the recoil, and doesn't take alot of messing around to get back on target.

I have a Lohman Site Vise that my son gave me years ago and it kinda works, but the rifle slips in the foam pads every shot so you have to loosen 2 screw clamps, resite, and tighten the clamps.
I won't be dealing with alot of recoil as I will probably use 10 to 12grs of Unique in the 30-06, 30-40, etc.
HySkor mades a rest kinda like I want, and another with a hydraulic trigger mechanism. Have not seen one or seen one in use and I don't want to buy several before I get what I want.

Jim
01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
So you have to move the whole rest back into position?

Yes, that's correct. But, before you fault that, understand, TO ME, that's not an issue.
Like anything, there's a down side. But I'm willing to accept that to alleviate the pain I feel from firing high recoil rifles from a sitting position without it.
Rheumatoid arthritis and recoil don't play nice together. So, I had to make some changes. Personally, I'm happy with my arrangements. I can still shoot my rifles, the rifle stays where it is when I take my hands off it and the rest even serves double duty as a cleaning station.
Almost every day, I read of some system or method that is written about on this forum that would not suit me. But I don't publicly degrade that method or system or the user thereof because I don't care for it.
I would appreciate your not degrading me for my choices.

cajun shooter
01-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Jim, Have you read any of the posted information on this site or others where the lead sled has been a problem with causing busted rifle stocks. I have never seen this in person but have read enough that I use what I have for over 40 years of shooting and that is sand bags for both rifle and one long one for the shoulder. When I was an instructor we would shoot hundreds of rifles every year for the public before deer season. This was from 8:00 am to 5:oo PM for three days. We never had a problem using this method. Oh I almost forgot we both had a magnum PAST PAD for our shooting shoulder also. There was no heavy clothing as the temps would be in the high 80's with the same humidity. Good ole Louisiana fall temps.

bowenrd
01-20-2011, 11:56 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=729197

Is this what you have in mind?

Jim
01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Jim, Have you read any of the posted information on this site or others where the lead sled has been a problem with causing busted rifle stocks.
Yes Sir, I have and many times over. I started hearing these stories not long after Caldwell introduced the product in question.

I have never seen this in person but have read enough that I use what I have for over 40 years of shooting and that is sand bags for both rifle and one long one for the shoulder. When I was an instructor we would shoot hundreds of rifles every year for the public before deer season. This was from 8:00 am to 5:oo PM for three days. We never had a problem using this method. Oh I almost forgot we both had a magnum PAST PAD for our shooting shoulder also. There was no heavy clothing as the temps would be in the high 80's with the same humidity. Good ole Louisiana fall temps.
I appreciate your response and input. However, I feel compelled to tell you that my personal situation is such that the system you speak of does not work for me. I've tried numerous methods of taming the recoil and none worked well.
I have several rifles that do not generate an objectionable recoil. With those, I am able to comfortably shoot without the Lead Sled. However, when I shoot my Guide Gun or my Gibbs Summit, the recoil is such that one round generates more discomfort than I care to deal with.
I'll confess to be a bit thin skinned or easily affected by negative comments. That's just who I am. But, it does bother me that people will find fault with my decisions, especially when the consequences of those decisions are neither dangerous or hurtful to myself or anyone else. Just because I do something differently doesn't make me wrong.

leadman
01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
I read the reviews on Hyskores' dangerous game rest and don't think I want it. Seems it is difficult to get behind it. HySkore does make another rest that I want to look at that has a strap to hold the butt of the gun.
If this cold will go away enough I'll go to the range and see what people are using.
I see many Leadsleds at the range and have not heard any comments on cracked stocks, although I have read about them.

Jim
01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Using a lead Sled is simple and easy. Add the minimum weight required to reduce the recoil and don't anchor it.

leadman
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Thanks Jim, your information has been most helpful.

Jim
01-21-2011, 09:51 AM
My pleasure, Sir! Glad I could be of assistance.

1Shirt
01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Can't help but wonder what Elmer would have said regarding this posting?
1Shirt!:coffee:

Jim
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Wonder what Teddy Roosevelt would have said about the M-16?:bigsmyl2:

leadman
01-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Elmer would probably say "whatever it takes to keep shooting" LOL.

1Shirt
01-22-2011, 12:01 PM
Yah, you are probably right on Elmer! TR would have said "Bully"!
1Shirt!:coffee: