PDA

View Full Version : Homemade brass sorter?

desteve811
01-18-2011, 11:35 PM
What I'm starting to dredd after coming home after spending a few hours at the range is spending alot of time sorting hundreds of rounds of brass and scoring lots of it too. Has anyone made their own brass sorter?

DeanWinchester
01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Ponce De' Leon my friend. You seek the fountain of youth.

I know it's been done, but to what effectiveness I am in serious doubt. Tough to beat two hands and two eyes.

Do post if you find a reasonable answer though.

NoZombies
01-19-2011, 02:00 AM
The "sorting trays" that are sold by midway and others do a decent job of breaking it down to easier to sort batches.

You could look at the design and figure out how to make your own, or do like I did, and talk a friend into buying them so you can borrow 'em ;)

Taylor
01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
I had two,but they grew up and joined the army.Never could get them to sort more than 2 piles,long ones and short ones.Oh well.

RP
01-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I got some of the sorting trays not to bad. For the time it would take to make them and and if you did not have the right size say router bits if that how you were going to cut the slots. Cost to buy is a lot cheaper.

cheese1566
01-24-2011, 11:34 PM
Our own jmorris built one. I think he made it for a club. It uses two revolving precision steel rods set slightly apart (not parallel) with a case feeder.

You could probably send him a PM with questions.

Here is a link to his video...

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/?action=view&current=sorterhopper.mp4

mold maker
01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
It makes no dif what you think up, to do the job. The 9s will be in the 40s, and they will be in the 44s and 45s. Ya still have to do it by eye to get it done.
The more ya stir and mix the worse it is. Those smaller pieces are determined to hide inside their bigger brothers.

deltaenterprizes
01-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Long ago, like in 1985, when Midway sold only to FFL holders, they sold brass sorters that were made with 1/8'' metal rods that were arranged like the racks in an oven and had sheet metal sides about 2'' high and were about 16'' square. There was 3 racks to the set and you had to build a wooden box to stack them inside one on top of the other with a space about 3'' high between the bottom rack and the bottom of the box.
The top rack had the rods spaced a little larger than a 44 sp/ mag OD and would catch the 44/45 cal brass.
The next was spaced a little larger than a 38/357 mag case and would catch 38, 357, 40 and 41.
The next was a little smaller to catch 9mm & 380 and let 22 through 32 fall through to the bottom of the box.
The indoor range where I worked used them for over 15 years and were still in good working order when they closed in 2005.

jmorris
01-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Yep, I built the one cheese posted the link to. It takes all of the work out of sorting cases. The video above was from the "test" run it now looks like this.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/sorter.jpg

mannyCA
01-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Yep, I built the one cheese posted the link to. It takes all of the work out of sorting cases. The video above was from the "test" run it now looks like this.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/sorter.jpg

DAMN MAN, how much brass do you have...?:holysheep:holysheep