PDA

View Full Version : Consensus on cleaning cast boolit bores

PatMarlin
11-03-2006, 11:44 PM
What's everyone's opinion on cleaning cast shooters?

I'm sure this has been covered, but I missed it. I thought if accuracy doesn't fall off, then don't clean. I've got a safe full of firearms, some not fired for over a year (yeah I know... blasphemy..! ), but were lead free and shootin' good.

Could I have a problem by not cleaning these bores?

We have a drier climate, and rust isn't a problem. I keep em' lubed with Balistoll, but not the bores on the cast shooters that are dialed in.

:Fire:..........Pat

buck1
11-04-2006, 12:20 AM
For me , unless I do something wrong and get leading, I clean every hundred rounds or so. And then its mostly to get rid of lube and powder flakes. But before I shoot a clean gun I prelube (ever so slightly) the BBL with bullet lube , eds red, or marvel mystery oil.
Wipe them down good to remove the oils/salts left from your hands and in a dry climate you should be fine. Dont forget to re check/oil them after a long wet spell.
I am sure someone here has figured it out to the nth degree but this has worked for me for over 30 years......FWIW......Buck

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2006, 05:58 AM
I never clean a bore of a cast bullet gun unless accuracy deteriorates due to leading. We maybe i dont go forever but ive got guns with thousands of rounds through them that havent been touched. I shoot handguns and not much rifle so dont have an opionion on rilfles but for Handguns John linebaugh once told me that a cast bullet shooting sixgun doesnt even settle in and get its best accuracy till youve got about 100 rounds through it and if you clean it or even switch lubes your starting over.

arkypete
11-04-2006, 08:24 AM
I clean my handguns every 500 to 1,000 rounds or every six months which ever comes first.
My cast bullet rifles are 45-70, 405 inchester, 30-06, 45 Colt, and very rarely 375 Whelen. The first four are levers and the last one is a bolt. I clean the bore of the rifle prior to leaving the range. Mainly swamping out the bore with a bit bore solvent and a few patches, then wipe down the exterior. All I need to do is throw the rifle into the gun safe, when I get home.
Jim

1Shirt
11-04-2006, 09:41 PM
As long as accuracy stays consistant on the range, I leave well enough alone. If consistancy falls off, and I can see lead down the bore, I toss a couple of J-----down the tube, then, clean with #9, or Butches and start over again. That seldom happens however, as long as my cast are the right size. Good luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Bass Ackward
11-04-2006, 11:37 PM
What's everyone's opinion on cleaning cast shooters?

Could I have a problem by not cleaning these bores?

:Fire:..........Pat

Pat,

What everyone else does is immaterial in your case.

You see, most guys will eventually shoot their guns a second or third time.

But a man with your money that shoots them once, never to chamber a round again, should probably clean for the benifit of the next owner who will own and USE your guns at some point in the future. :grin:

It may be me, so get busy!

PatMarlin
11-05-2006, 12:11 AM
You're lucky you live on that other coast Mr... :mrgreen:

PatMarlin
11-05-2006, 09:46 AM
My main concern I guess is powder flakes. I just leave those too. Bores are shinny with no leading. Maybe I should just run a lightly oiled patch down the bore to push that stuff out?

Just remembered why John's so envious of me... I bought the very last factory stainless Timney trigger for my Howa that they made... LOL!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The earlybird get's the worm mister.. :bigsmyl2:

Bass Ackward
11-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Just remembered why John's so envious of me... I bought the very last factory stainless Timney trigger for my Howa that they made... LOL!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pat,

You know that ain't the reason.

Now tell them the truth. I am envious because of the shootin range Pat has out the bathroom window complete with multi-functional chair that ACTUALLY pivots. Now that is high class.

I gotta get up and walk into another room. :redneck:

lead slinger
11-05-2006, 02:17 PM
I generally just push an oiled patch through the bore. Then before shooting, I run a dry patch through and shoot. Have some rifles that have hundreds of rounds through them with out cleaning, and still shot great.

Ricochet
11-05-2006, 02:27 PM
Any powder flakes in the bore are from the last shot you fired. The next boolit pushes them all out. Smokeless powder's pretty inert stuff and doesn't hurt anything.

tomf52
11-05-2006, 04:36 PM
I have stumbled upon something that has worked extremely well for me. In search of a solution to reduce or eliminate leading (and yes I have gone trhough the bullet size , alloy, powder charge, and various lube thing) I tried the following: After shooting and while cleaning the gun, in this case my Model 67 S&W, I thoroughly polished the bore with JB Bore Paste. It looks like a mirror when done. After cleaning this out I run a patch through the bore with Felix Lube. This is followed by enough dry patches to make certain there is not enough lube left in the barrel to be a hazard. When finishing up with the Felix Lube, you can't even see it. The results have been that I now get NO leading at all. Accuracy is as good as ever. I am now in the process of doing the same thing to my 5906. Will let you know how this one works out. This gun has been the real problem for me with leading.

PatMarlin
11-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Pat,

You know that ain't the reason.

Now tell them the truth. I am envious because of the shootin range Pat has out the bathroom window complete with multi-functional chair that ACTUALLY pivots. Now that is high class.

I gotta get up and walk into another room. :redneck:

Where's DA Moderator?... Hit Da Ban Button!!!... :groner:

waksupi
11-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Where's DA Moderator?... Hit Da Ban Button!!!... :groner:

No, WAIT! You have one that Pivots?!! Now,that is true redneck hillbilly stuff, I don't care who you are! He stays!

:redneck:[smilie=w::drinks:

Ricochet
11-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I have a friend who sure enough blasted a troublesome groundhog in his garden with a 7mm Remington Magnum out the window while he was sitting on the throne. Got him in trouble with his wife, who wasn't expecting the bang. He wasn't just sitting there waiting, either. He was multitasking.

LET-CA
11-06-2006, 03:37 PM
There's something very troubling about the image of a guy sitting on the head with a hunting rilfe in his hands. One has to wonder what kinds of problems he was anticipating as he went into the bathroom. "Don't worry about me sweetheart, I've got my rifle!" :Fire:

I have a friend who sure enough blasted a troublesome groundhog in his garden with a 7mm Remington Magnum out the window while he was sitting on the throne. Got him in trouble with his wife, who wasn't expecting the bang. He wasn't just sitting there waiting, either. He was multitasking.

tom barthel
11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
A pivoting seat on a VERY private range is first class. For cleaning lead from my bore, I use Hoppes #9 and Marvel Mystery Oil. I usually scrub a bit and leave the bore wet a while. I get a lot of lead on the final scrubbing. Works for me. I don't get much leading with LLA and gas checks.

fourarmed
11-07-2006, 11:16 AM
Some of my guns get shot a lot, so I clean them when I put them away.

Some of my guns have a tendency to rust if left with a dirty bore, so I clean them when I put them away.

Some of my guns sit in the safe a long time between uses, so I clean them when I put them away.

Some of my guns are prone to lead, so I clean them when I put them away.

Generalize? Naah!

Poohgyrr
11-07-2006, 07:43 PM
All this talk of pivoting, multifunctioning, & multitasking has me thinking here....

I'm a bit spoiled, so I might want a small refrigerator within reach too. For sandwiches and drink of choice.......

Hmmmmmmmm...

:twisted:

STP
11-07-2006, 07:46 PM
The humidity swings here in the Finger Lakes swing too much for me to chance any bore issues. Also to include transporting during the winter...the sometimes drastic temp changes from the car/truck to inside the house makes me nervous. So I reach for the Ed`s Red all year long.

wills
11-07-2006, 08:05 PM
No, WAIT! You have one that Pivots?!! Now,that is true redneck hillbilly stuff, I don't care who you are! He stays!

:redneck:[smilie=w::drinks:

You ought to get a kitchen range for that little building, keep you warm, and you can multi task.

PatMarlin
11-08-2006, 04:19 PM
We can do that... but DON"T tell John!! :groner: