PDA

View Full Version : .451 Volunteer rifle....

Chris Smith
01-18-2011, 11:01 PM
I bought mine from Dixie Gun Works a couple of years ago along with the Lyman mold #451114. It makes a 450 grain projectile that drops from the mold at .452. I get 2 1/2 inch groups sometimes 3. Loaded with 70 grains of 2f and a felt wad dipped in melted SPG lube and a paper wad cut from an orange juice carton with a wad punch. I lube the bullets in melted SPG and after they cool I use a modified 45-70 case as a cookie cutter and trim off the excess. CCI brand musket caps are all I can find so thats what I use. It's a fun rifle to shoot and I'm sure that with some fine tuning I can get slightly better results. Recently I found in my "stuff" a mold that a good friend made. He passed away several years ago so I cant ask for details but it is a smooth sided paper patch design that is nose pour and is made from brass with a base plug that gives the bullet a slight hollow cavity in the base for the excess paper to go. After cooling they measure .450. Weight is 500 grains in soft lead. Two wraps of tracing paper lubed with Lee Alox helps them fit through a .451 sizer and I have made 9 so far. Does anyone else have one of these rifles and shoot paper patched bullets or just cast the grooved types? I really like mine and call it an Ersatz Whitworth.

DIRT Farmer
01-18-2011, 11:51 PM
I have a volenteer and a Gibbs. I haven't had an oppertunity to really work up either rifle other than to find both shoot great. The volenteer has been shot with the Lyman 451 GG bullet and the 439-186 intended for the 43 Spanish, paper patched with two wraps of 9# eskin and a felt wad. Both shot well. I used 45 grns of Goex ffg to get point of aim at 100 yds. The rifle will shoot better than I can see with the barrel sights.

ResearchPress
01-20-2011, 07:22 PM
I really like mine and call it an Ersatz Whitworth.
Are you suggesting it's inferior to the Whitworth? I shot an MLAGB National Record at 600 yards with a Volunteer which stood for 9 years.

David

Chris Smith
01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
I aint suggesting anything. That's just what I call it, I thought it was funny. I hold the record of shooting every gun I have ever owned in my back yard.

ResearchPress
01-21-2011, 02:54 AM
Only curious as "Ersatz" is usually used in the context of an 'inferior substitute or imitation', while I was suggesting that superior results can be had from the Volunteer.

David

oldhickory
01-21-2011, 07:51 AM
All I can say is, anyone I've known who have had both the Whitworth and Volunteer, greatly prefer the Volunteer for making score.

Good to see you here, David!

heelerau
10-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Gents have recently acquired a PH Volunteer .451 first generation, I think with Rigby rifling. Have printed paper at 200 yes, shoots high, came only with the no 3 rear leaf, suspect that is point of aim at 500yds. Shooting 73 grains of Goex FFg, card over powder, and pure lead projectile, a lyman four cannelures. Had 10 scoring shots out of 13. Have ordered a new platinum lined nipple as the old one is a standard mild steel and has badly gas cut.

Cheers

heelerau