PDA

View Full Version : A quick question.

Skipper488
01-18-2011, 03:39 PM
I have a .45acp that I have fired mostly jacketed bullets in. I did fire a few commercially cast SWCs in it as an experiment. I have cast some of the Lee TL452-230-2R bullets and have them loaded up and ready to try. Now for the question. Do I have to do anything special to clean the barrel before I shoot these?:confused:

Big Boomer
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Skipper488: It would be good for you to know the dimensions of your .45 ACP barrell
and the diameter of of your cast boolits. Boolits should be about .002 greater than the barrell. If you are close there, you are good to go. Make sure the barrell is cleaned really well - no jacket fouling in barrell. Run repeated patches until they come out clean with a good fouling remover.

Before your first shot with a lead boolit, run a lightly oiled patch down the barrell, then
run a dry patch. You are ready. 'Tuck

01-18-2011, 06:26 PM
Get some Montana X-treme Copper Killer and follow the directions.

RobS
01-18-2011, 06:40 PM
Lead has a tendency to bond itself to copper so it's a good idea to relieve your barrel of any copper fowling before shooting cast. Bore copper solvent or if you are in a pinch you can find industrial/janitorial cleaning ammonia found in places like ACE or Home Depot to clean the jacket fowling out. The cleaning ammonia your are looking for will have 10% or so ammonia hydroxide in it. Keep the ammonia in the bore and don't let any of it stay for extend periods of time onto other parts of the outside of the firearm.

x101airborne
01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
I have used montana extreme and it is a top quality product. Really any of the copper cutters will do. Hoppes is the most gentle. Sweets, RB-17, et al. They all do a good job. Just be sure to get it all. Will save you some headache.

Blammer
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
just shoot them

AZ-Stew
01-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Get some Montana X-treme Copper Killer and follow the directions.

The first instruction is printed on the sticker on the bottle cap. It says something about "strong fumes", or some such. Heed this warning! Do not stick your nose over the bottle and take a good whiff! If your nostrils retain their lining, the hair on them will be severely curled or removed! :shock:

I like the stuff. Really cleans out the copper. I seldom use anything else for cleaning rifles that shoot j-words.

Regards,

Stew