PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning lead deposits from muzzleloaders?

Naphtali
01-18-2011, 12:29 PM
While I shoot cast-and-lubed bullets in my cartridge guns, I have been shooting patched RBs in my percussion muzzleloaders. I want to experiment with cast-and-lubed conical in a muzzleloading double rifle, but methods that are successful and useful when used with cartridge guns will not work with the muzzleloader. That is, a brass brush cannot be easily used to scour out lead; it will almost certainly become jammed or will score the barrels' I.D.s.

So how do I do it?

docone31
01-18-2011, 12:35 PM
Put in your powder charge, then some COW, then the casting. Acts like a scour pad.

jhrosier
01-18-2011, 01:20 PM
There is no reason to expect leading.
Folks have shot minie balls and other sorts of conicals from front loaders without any such problem.

If you do need to brush your bore, a nylon brush will work and the bristles will not bend when you pull the brush out.

I used to clean my .54 cal front loader with a 28 ga nylon shotgun brush. A twist of the cleaning rod at the bottom of the bore helped the bristles reverse.

If you can't find a nylon brush in the correct size, you could also try a bit of copper pan scrubber wrapped around a smaller brush.

All that being said, if your twist is slow, as a round ball twist would be, you might not get enough spin on a conical to stabilize it properly.

Jack