PDA

View Full Version : what did I do wrong

garbear
01-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Okay I have a traditions 50 cal hawken style rifle. I was shooting it today. My load was as follows 68 grains t7fff, soft lead maxi ball from a t/c mold and lubed with bore butter and a musket cap. I shot my first shot out of a clean barrel no problems. Second shot same load and the gun recoil was much more noticeable and the musket nipple was gone. Threads in drum look okay when I cleaned the gun last. I know I was lucky. is this gun now a wall hanger or can I fit a new drum and keep shooting. Garbear

EOD3
01-18-2011, 12:40 AM
It "sounds" like the second bullet wasn't completely seated on the powder column.

OR

No insult intended... You ARE measuring the load by volume, NOT weight, right?

Is there any visible damage to the barrel, such as swelling or a possible crack?

garbear
01-18-2011, 12:57 AM
By volume using brass measure. Also when I measured it was slightly below top so not exacly 68 grains if any slightly under that. No damage to barrel. Inspected with a drop in bore light. No cracks or bulges visible on the out side. Bullet was seated against powder ram rod mark showed that.

mooman76
01-18-2011, 01:04 AM
You can fit it with a new drum but do you need to? How do the threads look now? Also 777 is more powerful than regular powder so that is a pretty stiff load for a 50 cal sidelock pushing a maxie. I'm not saying it's over but it's getting up there. Are you sure you screwed the nipple in all the way or maybe you cross threaded the nipple? I'm just tossing ideas out there.

EOD3
01-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Normally, the threads on the nipple will strip before the rifle. I don't have anything else to offer concerning the apparent over-pressure. If you're using a marked ramrod, there's little chance of a double charge. Maybe one of the other guys has some ideas. :veryconfu

garbear
01-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Threads on the drum look fine going to get a regular #11 niple reduce the load to 60 and see if my accurcy holds. gun like both rb and maxi's.

waksupi
01-18-2011, 03:13 AM
I would not shoot a maxi in one of those rifles. Too much pressure, as you discovered!

EchoSixMike
01-18-2011, 05:35 AM
I think you had a loose/unthreaded or cross threaded nipple. I've gone up to 100gns PyrodexRS behind a 405gn Buffalo Bullet or 410gn Black Belt with no problems other than decent level of recoil. In an old 1960's Italian CVA Hawken. S/F.....Ken M

curator
01-18-2011, 07:40 AM
You probably should replace the drum since the nipple threads are most likely damaged. Either that or rethread the nipple mortice for a larger diameter nipple. The nipple may have been cross-threaded to cause this situation. Check with the Traditions folks to see what they can or will do for you.

rhbrink
01-18-2011, 08:29 AM
I don't know exactly how the "drum" is made for this model but if it's made with a simple breech plug with the "drum" drilled and tapped and screwed into the side of the barrel ahead of the breechplug then this could be a very dangerous setup. They were not originally designed to be used with a "heavy Boolit" they will work fine with a patch ball and a appropriate powder charge. To use a heavy boolit and powder charge it should be breeched with a Patent breech or chambered breech much stronger and safer for sure.

I don't mean to be telling anyone what to do but if the nipple blew out there is a problem somewhere. Maybe you could put up some pictures so we could see exactly what you are dealing with.

garbear
01-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Drum drilled and tapped into barrel. Think replace the drum and stay with patched ball. Then buy a new side hammer for the maxi mold. Thanks.
Garbear